Re: Confirming wireless printer sharing method

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Malke, Dec 29, 2006.

  1. Malke

    Malke Guest

    RealGomer wrote:

    > I did a search on printer sharing and here's what I got from the
    >
    > The set up is one desktop PC on WinXP Home with printer connected through
    > USB port and one laptop running WinXPPro. Both have 802.11 b/g wirelss
    > cards. Step 1: Enable printer sharing on desktop. Reboot
    > Step 2: Install printer drivers onto laptop.
    > Step 3: Enable printer sharing on laptop. Reboot.
    >
    > The laptop should then see the printer (and any shared files allowed)
    > connected to the desktop. There is no need for an in between router,
    > switch, or other connection device.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Are you asking if this will work? The answer is a qualified "yes". I say
    "qualified" because it depends on how you connect to the Internet
    wirelessly. If you have a wireless router and both computers are currently
    successfully connecting to the Internet then all you need to do is set up
    your local area network file/printer sharing properly. Without some sort of
    wireless router, how else would you even have a wireless Internet
    connection?

    So you might want to provide a bit more information about your network
    setup. In the meantime, here are my cut/paste directions for lan
    file/printer sharing:

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on
    the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or
    have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06)
    which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party
    firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as
    trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be
    subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the Simple
    File Sharing enabled.

    Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means that
    anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources.
    This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your
    situation.

    home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share folders
    inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared
    Documents folder.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers