    I installed XP64 with the SATA drive running in Standard IDE mode, and I now
    wish to run it in AHCI.
    I'm not sure how I would go about doing that.

    hj, Oct 8, 2006

  2. Piece of cake if you have an Intel ICH7R controller:

    • Set Configure SATA As to [Standard IDE] and login.
    • Download the Floppy Configuration Utility Intel Matrix, version
    6.1.0.1002, extract and save on your hard drive.
    • Update the driver for 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage
    Controller via Device Manager (if you don´t see it, install the latest INF
    Update Utility first).
    • Highlight the controller -> Update Driver... -> Browse my computer
    for... -> Let me pick from a list... -> Select the driver and choose Have
    disk...
    • Browse and navigate to where you saved the drivers (choose iaAhci.inf) and
    install.
    • Restart and enter BIOS.
    • Change Configure SATA As to [AHCI]
    • Install Intel Matrix Storage Manager (iata61_enu.exe) and check the disk
    status. In the Console -> View choose Advanced Mode.
    • Now you should be able to see Yes for Native Command Queuing Support.

    --
    Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro (i975X Express)
    Core 2 Extreme X6800

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyYXRvbm1hbm5lbg==?=, Oct 8, 2006

  3. hj

    Theo Guest

    It depends on whether you motherboard BIOS supports. My
    Asus A8V does not support SATA IDE configuration so my SATA
    drives with no RAID configuration still show up in the
    Device Manager as SCSI on a SCSI RAID controller. On my MSI
    K8T Neo2, I have the option in the BIOS of either SATA or
    RAID. I have it set to SATA and the drives show up in the
    Device Manager as IDE drives on an IDE controller. In this
    configuration there are 2 Primary IDE listings and 2
    Secondary IDE listing. I of each is for the PATA channel
    and the other is for the SATA channel.

    So, you have to check your BIOS to see what it allows.

    Theo, Oct 8, 2006
  4. hj

    John Barnes Guest

    John Barnes, Oct 8, 2006
  5. hj

    hj Guest

    I installed all per your recommendation, but I see No for Native Command
    Queuing Support.
    please see the screen...
    http://www.panix.com/~hrj/intel.pdf

    hj, Oct 10, 2006
  6. hj

    Theo Guest

    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...GV4dD1jb21tYW5kIHF1ZXVpbmc*&p_li=&p_topview=1

    The 74GB Western Digital Raptor (model WD740GD) hard drive
    supports Tag Command Queuing (TCQ). This drive does not
    support Native Command Queuing (NCQ).

    Theo, Oct 10, 2006