Re: Configuration of TRUNK Ports

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Doug McIntyre, Sep 19, 2011.

  1. "Elia S." <> writes:
    >I am used to HP Procurve switches, where I have for example a port with
    >multiple vlans on it:

    >ex. Port 1 -

    >VLAN 1 untagged
    >VLAN2 tagged
    >VLAN3 tagged.

    >So I let pass via a port, one vlan untagged (vlan1) and two tagged vlans.

    >How can I replicate the same configuration in a cisco switch?

    Cisco's model is a bit different.

    In small environment's the HP (and other low-end switch) model works
    fine, but in larger environments with even dozens if not hundreds of
    VLANs, the Cisco one works much better overall.

    In Cisco, you can have exactly one untagged VLAN per trunk port.
    Everything else is assumed to be tagged on a trunk port.

    (ignoring the fact that vlan1 magicly gets untagged by default on many models)

    interface GigabitEthernet1/1
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-3
    switchport trunk native vlan 1
    switchport mode trunk
    Doug McIntyre, Sep 19, 2011

  2. Doug McIntyre

    Guest

    Hi

    > (ignoring the fact that vlan1 magicly gets untagged by default on many models)

    The same on HP Procurve no matter whether you configure tagged or untagged.

    Andre
    , Oct 9, 2011

  3. Doug McIntyre

    Rob Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >

    >> (ignoring the fact that vlan1 magicly gets untagged by default on many models)

    > The same on HP Procurve no matter whether you configure tagged or untagged.

    Ahhh... that explains a problem I had a while back.
    Rob, Oct 9, 2011