Re: Computer wont enter hibernate when using DirectX screen savers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Jan 8, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "Jill" <> wrote in

    > Just did a clean install of WinXP SP3 on my computer.
    >
    > When running DirectX screen savers the computer will not enter
    > hibernate. If I use a non DirectX screen saver it will.
    >
    > I know this was a problem pre SP2 but thought that it was addressed in
    > SP2. Can it be fixed?

    Yes, use standby (for short periods of time) or shut your computer
    completely off otherwise. Hibernate (when it works) saves your ram to a
    file on your hard drive. If your hard drive has any problems, such as
    would be normally fixed by a scandisk your computer won't boot. At all.
    Hibernate is only useful for laptops where the battery can run out without
    the chance to save your work and shut down first.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 8, 2009

  2. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 00:27:27 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Yes, use standby (for short periods of time) or shut your computer
    >completely off otherwise. Hibernate (when it works) saves your ram to a
    >file on your hard drive. If your hard drive has any problems, such as
    >would be normally fixed by a scandisk your computer won't boot. At all.
    >Hibernate is only useful for laptops where the battery can run out without
    >the chance to save your work and shut down first.

    Oh boy.. the idiot and his standby / hibernate inconsistencies
    again...

    Evan Platt, Jan 8, 2009

  3. chuckcar

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:08:24 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 00:27:27 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, use standby (for short periods of time) or shut your computer
    >>completely off otherwise. Hibernate (when it works) saves your ram to a
    >>file on your hard drive. If your hard drive has any problems, such as
    >>would be normally fixed by a scandisk your computer won't boot. At all.
    >>Hibernate is only useful for laptops where the battery can run out
    >>without the chance to save your work and shut down first.

    > Oh boy.. the idiot and his standby / hibernate inconsistencies again...

    Whatever. Why don't you two get a room?

    Dan C, Jan 8, 2009