Re: Computer won't boot up

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Neil Green, Nov 17, 2008.

  1. Neil Green

    Neil Green Guest

    "j" <> wrote in message
    > My computer was running fine until I connected a
    > device made by
    > Hewlett-Packard called a "HP dvd movie writer
    > dc3000" to it and began
    > copying a movie.
    >
    > I was using the HP dvd movie writer for the first
    > time, went to the store
    > and came back an hour later and found the computer
    > froze up with the image
    > of the movie still on the monitor. I was unable to
    > reboot the computer so I
    > unplugged the computer's power cable, then plugged
    > it back in and tried to
    > reboot. The computer not only fails to reboot, it
    > also fails to go through
    > the bios and memory check. There is also a red led
    > glowing on the
    > motherboard that I've not noticed before, but it's
    > possible that the red
    > light has always been on and I just haven't noticed
    > it. The processor fan
    > comes on and so does the green light on the front of
    > the computer.
    >
    > I took the hard drive out and put it into this old
    > spare tower that I am
    > using now and I'm not having any problems, so I'm
    > sure that the problem is
    > in the computer and not the drive. Does anyone know
    > what the trouble may be?
    > I can't imagine that the HP dvd movie making device
    > could have damaged
    > anything (it plugs into the usb port). The computer
    > has a 2 gig processor
    > and three 256 megabyte memory cards plugged into it,
    > XP pro SP2 operating
    > system. Thanks for the help.

    If you can get a copy of Hirens boot CD try booting
    from that then run chdsk.
    You may then be able to boot in safe mode and run a
    system restore to fix a software problem but the issue
    could also be hardware related.
    RAM, graphics card, hard disk or, as mentioned, the
    PSU are all possibilities.

    Neil Green, Nov 17, 2008