Re: Computer won't boot to boot cd Tries to continue installation

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jack Newhouse, Nov 22, 2009.

  1. On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:37:51 -0600, "§nühw¤£f" <>
    wrote:

    >Jack Newhouse <> pinched out a steaming pile of
    >
    >> Osiris,
    >>
    >> My computer stopped booting a month or so ago. It is an HP Media
    >> Center about five years ago. 120GB harddrive, 2.53GH, 1GB of memory
    >> running XP SP3
    >>
    >> I tried to reinstall XP PRO, but it didn't like the product code that
    >> came with the CD. Also it tries to setup XP every time I turn it on
    >> despite the fact that I have Spotmau, Hirens, or Winternals in the
    >> drive trying to boot from those.
    >>
    >> It reaches a certain spot in the setup process on the hard drive then
    >> it asks me for some file, and when I can't get it what it wants, it
    >> bombs out only to loop right back the next time I turn on the
    >> computer.
    >>

    >Read:
    >http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/rejects-product-
    >code/173302.html
    >
    >> How do I remove this partially installed XP PRO SP3 setup, delete the
    >> boot partition, and reinstall XP Pro without losing the valuable
    >> contact manager data I have on Goldmine, and ACT? There is other data
    >> there that I need also. Puzzled in Wasilla?
    >>
    >> Isis
    >>

    >BAck it up. Back that thang up.
    >To see the product key:
    >http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5034981.html
    >
    >HTH, doapey.

    The computer also ran fine for about 24 hours then it would shut down
    on it's own and not reboot for a few hours. When I did a temperature
    check on it, some of the components were over 250 degrees? Weird?

    Jack Newhouse, Nov 22, 2009

  2. Jack Newhouse

    chuckcar Guest

    Jack Newhouse <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:37:51 -0600, "§nühw¤£f" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > The computer also ran fine for about 24 hours then it would shut down
    > on it's own and not reboot for a few hours. When I did a temperature
    > check on it, some of the components were over 250 degrees? Weird?

    That's hardware problems. You need to either have yourself or someone who
    knows look at the heat sinking and fan on the CPU and/or video card. It
    should *never* get that hot. That's exactly why the computer turns itself
    off.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 23, 2009