Re: Computer won't boot to boot cd Tries to continue installation

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Nov 17, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Jack Newhouse <> wrote in

    > Osiris,
    >
    > My computer stopped booting a month or so ago. It is an HP Media
    > Center about five years ago. 120GB harddrive, 2.53GH, 1GB of memory
    > running XP SP3
    >
    > I tried to reinstall XP PRO, but it didn't like the product code that
    > came with the CD.

    Your certificate of Authentication is on the starting windows XP manual.
    *Not* on a separate piece of paper - that would be for MS Office or Works.

    > Also it tries to setup XP every time I turn it on
    > despite the fact that I have Spotmau, Hirens, or Winternals in the
    > drive trying to boot from those.
    >
    > It reaches a certain spot in the setup process on the hard drive then
    > it asks me for some file, and when I can't get it what it wants, it
    > bombs out only to loop right back the next time I turn on the
    > computer.
    >
    > How do I remove this partially installed XP PRO SP3 setup, delete the
    > boot partition, and reinstall XP Pro without losing the valuable
    > contact manager data I have on Goldmine, and ACT? There is other data
    > there that I need also. Puzzled in Wasilla?

    Use the CD to boot a dos prompt and format the drive.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 17, 2009

  2. chuckcar wrote:
    > Jack Newhouse <> wrote in

    <snip>
    >> How do I remove this partially installed XP PRO SP3 setup, delete the
    >> boot partition, and reinstall XP Pro without losing the valuable
    >> contact manager data I have on Goldmine, and ACT? There is other data
    >> there that I need also. Puzzled in Wasilla?
    >>

    > Use the CD to boot a dos prompt and format the drive.

    He did say he has data he needs...yet you tell him to format? Are you
    stoned, or just a moron?

    To the OP: XP Pro will only allow 3 reloads before auth fails. This
    will not stop you from loading it and getting to the desktop... If you
    have the COA sticker, you can call MS for help.

    The best way to remove the entire boot partition AND keep your data
    safe is to copy everything you want to keep to either CD or an external
    USB drive...

    n0i
    thund3rstruck, Nov 17, 2009

  3. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 06:24:19 -0500, thund3rstruck
    > <thund3rstruck_n0i@hotmail> wrote:
    >
    >> He did say he has data he needs...yet you tell him to format? Are you
    >> stoned, or just a moron?

    > He's a troll. At this point, chucktard T. St00pid will either drop
    > from the thread, or come back and say "You idiot, what I meant
    > was...". I'm going to go with the former.

    Well, if it's the latter, I'm prepared to give him a swift virtual
    kick in the ass...

    n0i
    thund3rstruck, Nov 17, 2009
  4. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 04:43:13 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Your certificate of Authentication is on the starting windows XP manual.
    >>*Not* on a separate piece of paper - that would be for MS Office or
    >>Works.

    > On some copies of Windows it's on the back of a 3 fold binder the CD
    > is stored in.
    >
    >>> How do I remove this partially installed XP PRO SP3 setup, delete the
    >>> boot partition, and reinstall XP Pro without losing the valuable
    >>> contact manager data I have on Goldmine, and ACT? There is other data
    >>> there that I need also. Puzzled in Wasilla?
    >>>

    >>Use the CD to boot a dos prompt and format the drive.

    > "...without losing data"...
    >
    > "format the drive."

    Windows hasn't *been* installed. exactly *what* data is he going to lose?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 17, 2009
  5. chuckcar

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:57:26 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:45:30 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Windows hasn't *been* installed. exactly *what* data is he going to
    >>lose?

    > Go *back* and *read* the original message.
    >
    > *Slower*, if need be.
    >
    > Then, *read* it again.
    >
    > Here, let me help you:
    >
    > "My computer stopped booting a month or so ago."
    >
    > So, by deduction, Sherlock, he HAD data.

    > "and reinstall XP Pro without losing the valuable contact manager data I
    > have on Goldmine, and ACT? There is other data there that I need also.'
    >
    > And deducting from this portion of the post, the *data* he'd *lose* is
    > Goldmine, Act, and "other data".
    >
    > I'd like to see how you backpedal out of this one.
    >
    > Or is this simply where you drop from the thread?

    See that cloud of dust?

    --
    Half a bee, philosophically, must ipso facto half not be. But half
    the bee has got to be, vis-à-vis its entirety - d'you see? But can
    Aardvark, Nov 18, 2009
  6. chuckcar wrote:
    > Windows hasn't *been* installed. exactly *what* data is he going to lose?

    Hey Chin Nuts, he said it was a *RELOAD*.

    n0i
    thund3rstruck, Nov 18, 2009
  7. chuckcar

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 04:43:13 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Your certificate of Authentication is on the starting windows XP
    >>manual. *Not* on a separate piece of paper - that would be for MS
    >>Office or Works.

    > On some copies of Windows it's on the back of a 3 fold binder the CD
    > is stored in.

    If Windows was pre-installed on the PC, it could be glued to the cabinet
    somewhere.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Nov 18, 2009
  8. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Bert Hyman <> wrote in

    > In news: Evan Platt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 04:43:13 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Your certificate of Authentication is on the starting windows XP
    >>>manual. *Not* on a separate piece of paper - that would be for MS
    >>>Office or Works.

    >> On some copies of Windows it's on the back of a 3 fold binder the CD
    >> is stored in.

    > If Windows was pre-installed on the PC, it could be glued to the cabinet
    > somewhere.

    On a label with a *huge* bar code. Happens all the time. However if it's
    retail MS windows, where I stated *is* where to look.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 19, 2009
  9. On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 06:24:19 -0500, thund3rstruck
    <thund3rstruck_n0i@hotmail> wrote:

    >chuckcar wrote:
    >> Jack Newhouse <> wrote in

    ><snip>
    >>> How do I remove this partially installed XP PRO SP3 setup, delete the
    >>> boot partition, and reinstall XP Pro without losing the valuable
    >>> contact manager data I have on Goldmine, and ACT? There is other data
    >>> there that I need also. Puzzled in Wasilla?
    >>>

    >> Use the CD to boot a dos prompt and format the drive.

    > He did say he has data he needs...yet you tell him to format? Are you
    >stoned, or just a moron?
    >
    > To the OP: XP Pro will only allow 3 reloads before auth fails. This
    >will not stop you from loading it and getting to the desktop... If you
    >have the COA sticker, you can call MS for help.
    >
    > The best way to remove the entire boot partition AND keep your data
    >safe is to copy everything you want to keep to either CD or an external
    >USB drive...
    >
    > n0i

    Yes, I will put it on DVD the next time. I had everything backed up to
    an 8gb Verbatim DVD. I thought I was safe. When I went to recover the
    data from there, it could no longer be read. I tried several programs
    that claimed they could recover data from a USB drive, but none of
    them worked. So I ended up formatting it and lost all of my Quickbooks
    data, Microsoft Word data, ACT data, EPIM data, all of my documents
    that I had stored for twenty years. It was horrible! The neighbors
    said I was just running around in the frontyard naked, pulling out my
    hair and screaming. I woke up in the hospital. I still have screaming
    episodes every few hours. That was really a mena thing to d to me.
    Jack Newhouse, Nov 22, 2009
  10. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Jack Newhouse <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 06:24:19 -0500, thund3rstruck
    > <thund3rstruck_n0i@hotmail> wrote:
    >
    >>chuckcar wrote:
    >>> Jack Newhouse <> wrote in

    >><snip>
    >>>>
    >>> Use the CD to boot a dos prompt and format the drive.

    >> He did say he has data he needs...yet you tell him to format? Are you
    >>stoned, or just a moron?

    What data? windows wasn't properly installed. How exactly would such data
    be there and not available to put on again?

    >> To the OP: XP Pro will only allow 3 reloads before auth fails. This
    >>will not stop you from loading it and getting to the desktop... If you
    >>have the COA sticker, you can call MS for help.

    *per* install. Formatting the hard drive resets that back to zero.

    >> The best way to remove the entire boot partition AND keep your data
    >>safe is to copy everything you want to keep to either CD or an external
    >>USB drive...

    > Yes, I will put it on DVD the next time. I had everything backed up to
    > an 8gb Verbatim DVD. I thought I was safe. When I went to recover the
    > data from there, it could no longer be read. I tried several programs
    > that claimed they could recover data from a USB drive, but none of
    > them worked. So I ended up formatting it and lost all of my Quickbooks
    > data, Microsoft Word data, ACT data, EPIM data, all of my documents
    > that I had stored for twenty years. It was horrible! The neighbors
    > said I was just running around in the frontyard naked, pulling out my
    > hair and screaming. I woke up in the hospital. I still have screaming
    > episodes every few hours. That was really a mena thing to d to me.

    Windows wasn't properly installed because you didn't have the COA ready.
    This means nothing that an install would do would be missing with a
    reinstall. Hence a format being a valid "reset" so to speak.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 23, 2009