Re: Computer won't boot from CD

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Mar 31, 2010.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Edwin Sineath wrote:
    > I put in a live CD to boot from, computer doesn't boot from it, boots
    > from hard drive. But once it boots up, the CD is recognized so
    > apparently there is nothing wrong with the drive. But I don't know what
    > is causing this. The BIOS is set to boot from CD first.

    Perhaps you could describe how you made the CD ?

    *******

    Say that a friend tells you about a neat LiveCD you can download.
    You download a file "my-livecd.iso" from a web site.

    Now, some people would be tempted to just copy the file directly
    to a CD. That won't work. If you did that, and then plugged the
    CD into a Windows computer, it might show a single file
    sitting on the CD, with the name my-livecd.iso .

    Inside the ISO9660 file, is not only a file system, but also
    the information necessary to prepare a bootable CD. So the
    ISO9660 file is a "container" and not a simple file. You need
    a burner program, that can read the container, and convert
    it into a bootable CD.

    An optical CD burning program such as Nero, knows how to
    parse an ISO9660 file and prepare a bootable CD from it.

    There might also be free optical burner software programs
    you can use as well. Check for programs such as CDburnerXP
    or IMGBurn.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cdburnerxp

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imgburn

    If you already have a working Linux distro, the "K3B" program
    knows how to burn CDs and DVDs.

    In terms of the thing that makes the CD bootable, you can
    read articles like this.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_torito

    There is one program for Linux, that you can use to
    evaluate storage devices of all sorts. The program is
    "disktype". Disktype can be added to your Linux machine with
    the resident package manager. (I'm not aware of a version
    of this that is available for Windows.) Rather than compile
    this myself, I just went into Synaptic Package Manager and
    added it.

    http://disktype.sourceforge.net/

    This is something I tried, when Microsoft offered Windows 7
    for download (Release Candidate 1), as a 2GB ISO9660 file.
    I downloaded the file, and then analyzed the file with the
    disktype program.

    disktype 7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso

    This is what disktype reports.

    *******
    --- 7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso
    Regular file, size 2.357 GiB (2530975744 bytes)
    UDF file system
    Sector size 2048 bytes
    Volume name "<5500><4400><4600><2000><5600><6F00><6C00><7500><6D00><6500>"
    UDF version 1.02
    ISO9660 file system
    Volume name "GRC1CULFRER_EN_DVD"
    Publisher "MICROSOFT CORPORATION"
    Preparer "MICROSOFT CORPORATION, ONE MICROSOFT WAY, REDMOND WA 98052, (425) 882-8080"
    Application "CDIMAGE 2.54 (01/01/2005 TM)"
    Data size 2.357 GiB (2530975744 bytes, 1235828 blocks of 2 KiB)
    El Torito boot record, catalog at 22
    Bootable non-emulated image, starts at 663, preloads 4 KiB
    Platform 0x00 (x86), System Type 0x00 (Empty)
    *******

    You can see mention of "El Torito" there, implying that the disc prepared
    from the file will be bootable.

    There might be other means to make a CD bootable - that is all I know
    about it.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 31, 2010