Re: Computer Telephony Integration question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Apr 1, 2009.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Before broadband the phone plugged directly into the modem and I was
    > able to user a dialer and initiate a call from my computer.
    > Now with the internet coming thorugh a router and with filters on all
    > my phones that seems to be a thing of the past. Or am I wrong?
    >
    > Obviously call centres and large organisation have CTI systems that do
    > this and a lot more but are there any apps or hardware for my PC that
    > would let me click on a number displayed on my computer and then dial
    > out for me via my home network and let me hear the ring tones so I
    > could pick up the phone when the call was answered?

    Not much has changed really. If you still have a modem in the PC, then
    it can still dial, and pickup. And the software that handles it hasn't
    changed much either, i.e. it's still around. (The modem will have to
    support 'extra' voice commands to do an "answer-machine" type service).

    And client programs haven't changed much - Windows still includes a
    dialer program doesn't it? - MS Outlook certainly still supports it, a
    made a wee pic...

    http://www.adrock.com/Default.aspx?tabid=376

    I think Bitware still have free s/w that handles fax and voice capable
    modems. I'm sure it'll also have it's own built in dialer.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Apr 1, 2009