Re: Computer slowdown, busy diskdrive.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 2, 2008.

  1. Frank wrote:

    > My computer was slowing down so I purchased a new harddrive and
    > reinstalled Windows XP with SP2 and it ran great for couple of
    > months. Three months into the new installation my harddisk started to
    > run like mad for the first few minutes of bootup and sometimes in the
    > middle of something with no apparent application running. Now things
    > are slow again, its pain to reinstall XP every three months to get it
    > running well again.

    You were lucky. It's usually about twenty minutes.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/19/infected_in20_minutes/

    Your computer is most likely a compromised zombie, now spewing spam to
    millions.

    > How do I trace what the disk is doing and stop whatever is running in
    > the background to speed up my computer again?

    Do you have a router on your Comcast connection, between the computer
    and the cable modem? Does the computer have a firewall?

    http://tekrider.net/general/wintip01.php

    Try SuperAntiSpyware and see what it reports.
    http://superantispyware.com/

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 2, 2008