Re: Computer slowdown, busy diskdrive.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, May 2, 2008.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 2 May 2008 07:03:46 -0700, Frank wrote:

    >My computer was slowing down so I purchased a new harddrive and reinstalled
    >Windows XP with SP2 and it ran great for couple of months. Three months into
    >the new installation my harddisk started to run like mad for the first few
    >minutes of bootup and sometimes in the middle of something with no apparent
    >application running. Now things are slow again, its pain to reinstall XP
    >every three months to get it running well again. How do I trace what the

    Then you install XP, the apps etc. Use something like Symantec Ghost to
    image the disk. At least this way you don't need to reinstall, you start
    at a built and working image you simply put back.

    Remember to save any data as an image will overwrite and wipe any data
    when it's written back to the hardisk.

    It's easier if you partition the disk into say C D volumes, for Windows
    / Programs on C and data on D. A lot of stuff will still be on C unless
    you change the options for default file locations.

    When you restore the image of C the files on D will be okay. Hoever it
    needs some planning and careful use of the image and restore functions.

    Loosing data you haven't a backup of is up to you.

    As often mentioned www.sysinternals.com , process explorer, filemon.

    >computer again?

    Sometimes mentioned BootLogXP.
    http://www.greatis.com/utilities/bootlogxp/

    See other posts in 24HSHD.

    XP has it's own boot log, then there is HikackThis, and several startup
    utilities like Autoruns that tells you what's running at startup.

    Me
    why?, May 2, 2008