Re: Computer Room Design

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Colin B., May 10, 2004.

  1. Colin B.

    Colin B. Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:05:53 GMT, "Colin B."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>The day that you posted your first message to this thread, the
    >>www.gibnet.com/isl link failed repeatedly. It seems OK now though.

    > The hosting is currently contracted out to Fasthosts who assure
    > me they have all the things they should to ensure 24x7 operation.
    >
    > http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/indexa_07_about.html
    >
    > I'm not currently monitoring the uptime, but will start doing that.

    I would. I recall the error message as something like "Network Bios
    connection time exceeded." That might help pinpoint the problem.

    > Thats a modern server room, the population is different to the
    > classic 'computer room' although the design requirments are
    > similar. Flooring, cooling, electrical, lighting fire supression
    > and physical security. Issues of floor loading have got easier.

    Interesting. How do you figure that floor loading has gotten easier?

    > I doubt anyone is foolish enough to run an AS/400 model 70 !

    Hmm. I've no idea what the AS/400 we have downstairs here is, but it's
    about twice the size of the old disk drives with the removable 8-platter
    packs.

    > These days we Europeans use different units. Your computer room
    > might crash on Mars if you get that mixed up.

    Heh. Not to worry, I use the same units as Europe. It's only those
    crazies to the south who still use non-metric units.

    > I've specified quite a few, and managed the fitting out, the last had
    > five racks of Sun servers, Linux boxes, and a storage array. Also
    > recently one that only has one small PC in it, but two racks of other
    > stuff that runs 24x7 in a mission critical role in a purpose built
    > building. Getting it right involves talking to the architects, giving
    > specifications to the M&E engineers, and being on top of the
    > project to ensure its actually done right. None of that can be
    > done either for free, or on a newsgroup.

    You don't specify what sort of Sun servers, but I'm getting the feeling
    that these are the small-medium servers (i.e. pizza boxes to 4U, 4CPU
    systems). As such, it seems to me that resources would be allocated and
    configured similarly to small rackable PCs.

    Colin B., May 10, 2004