Re: Computer problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Nov 27, 2009.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-11-27, onlyme <> wrote:
    > My desktop computer has the nasty habit of turning itself off without
    > warning. There is no particular pattern.

    [...]

    As others have said, this sounds like overheating. Are you using the
    laptop on your lap or a carpet or cushion that can limit the airflow
    through the cooling slots? If so - stop doing that! Stand the laptop on
    a firm tray, plank, even a large book, to make sure there is an air gap
    all around the computer.

    Advice about 'blowing through' (with a cannister of air, as sold for the
    purpose in computer and electronics shops) is worth taking.

    It isn't impossible for a computer to be working so hard that it can't
    cope and has to slow down or cut out to protect itself. You can help that
    by not letting programs run when you aren't using them.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 27, 2009

  2. Whiskers

    Tony Guest

    It doesn't sound like overheating to me.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
    on the job for potty mouth,

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Nov 27, 2009

  3. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-11-27, PeeCee <> wrote:
    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2009-11-27, onlyme <> wrote:

    >> Are you using the laptop <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

    > ???????

    Hey, I've got an imagination and I'm not afraid to use it!

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 27, 2009