Re: computer freezing up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pat, Jun 14, 2004.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    How do you know if you have faulty power supply or faulty hardware if there
    are no issues showing up in system properties?

    TIA,
    Pat

    > If you have Athlon, it is very common to freeze a computer because of

    faulty

    Pat, Jun 14, 2004

  2. Pat

    Andy Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > How do you know if you have faulty power supply or faulty hardware if

    there
    > are no issues showing up in system properties?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Pat
    >
    > > If you have Athlon, it is very common to freeze a computer because of

    > faulty
    > > power supply which causes overheating. Freezing can cause any faulty
    > > hardware. Perhaps you need to change your CD Rom if doesn't work

    properly.

    I mentioned about power supply, because one of my Athlons had a faulty one.
    My computer froze very often CMOS showed me very high CPU temperature
    reaching sometimes over 75 C (167 F). Over heating caused loosing many
    drivers like for egz. my keyboard driver. It was so confusing that I could
    not figure out what is wrong. So I went to technician. When I told him that
    my Athlon has that problem he said "Power Supply" common Athlon problem.
    After replacing PS my computer never freeze again.( low memory causes
    freezing too). My suggestion : take $20 and check your computer by
    technician, it will save your time and even money.

    Andy, Jun 14, 2004

  3. Pat

    w_tom Guest

    Power supply is the first thing verified only because
    everything else acts flaky and symptoms of failure become
    confusing if power supply is not stable. But those $20 and a
    few seconds of owners time would verify power supply integrity
    quickly without any computer tech. Because power supply can be
    eliminated quickly and completely as reason for failure, then
    PSU verification is the first step. Procedure defined in
    previous discussions:
    "Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
    Jan 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q or
    "I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
    Feb 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/yvbw9

    w_tom, Jun 15, 2004