    Simple and works every time. Does not use up the camera batteries.

    The memory card mounts like a disk so you just drag and drop the files fromthe card to wherever you want them.

    --Larry
    larrymcg, Jun 24, 2011

  2. larrymcg

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Jun 25, 6:53 pm, Doug Bashford <> wrote:
    > about: Re: Computer can't detect camera automatically;
    >   On Fri, larrymcg wrote:
    >
    > > My solution to all the issues of connecting a camera to a computer is to get a memory card reader (typically USB attached).  You take the memorycard out of the camera and put it in the card reader.  The readers are cheap and can read lots of different format cards.

    > > Simple and works every time.  Does not use up the camera batteries.

    > > The memory card mounts like a disk so you just drag and drop the files from the card to wherever you want them.   > --Larry

    > That's what I do with my XP and 2009 Canon sx120.
    > The "card reader" becomes a thumb drive.
    > XP sees that as a new drive (exactly like a new folder)
    > When ya first plug it in a popup window
    > asks what to do.  Say; do nothing, and close it.
    > Then drag n drop the folder with yer pics in it.
    > After they are copied, delete them from the card.
    > (Or rather than copy, move. That will automagically
    > delete them after copy.) Put the card back in camera, done.
    >
    > "card reader" is a bit of a misnomer.
    > It's a just a passive card-plug to USB-plug
    > adapter, a mechanical interface. They are
    > smaller than a thumb drive, handy and versitile,
    > about $8 - $12. ...for anytime you want to turn
    > a memory card into a thumb drive. If I owned just
    > one thumb drive, it would be a "card reader" type.
    >
    > When I first plugged in my *camera* I saw that
    > it wanted me to install software from the
    > CD...the above "manual" method using the camera's
    > plug looked all freaky with multiple filenames etc.
    > No thanks.  My rule is never instal hardware CDs
    > except as a last resort.
    >
    > I got a USB cord at the dollar store and just leave
    > it plugged in to the computer all the time....so handy!
    >
    >   The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
    >   The rational change their world view to fit the facts.

    it's worth reformatting a card that has been used in a camera as
    usually it's
    formatted FAT 32 which is quite slow to read and write from compared
    to other formats.
    Of course the card then won;t work in a camera unless you reformat it
    for the camera.
    Whisky-dave, Jun 27, 2011

  3. larrymcg

    John Turco Guest

    Doug Bashford wrote:

    > > On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 04:26:21 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave wrote:

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    > Perhaps the flash card default formating is FAT but NTFS
    > formatting is standard on real drives? Agree,if reformatting,
    > the whys should be known.
    >
    > Yet I did reformat my SD card to FAT 16 or 32, but that was
    > only because my addon firmware CHDK docs claimed to need it.
    > (But CHDK documentation is garbage.)
    > Few people run CHDK software in their camera.
    >
    > > Of course the card then won;t work in a camera unless
    > > you reformat it for the camera.

    > You mean, won't work *as well?* ...not optimally? Right?
    >
    > I'm not real clear what you are saying. Me? I'll leave
    > things alone unless I know otherwise or *need* some speed
    > or capacity improvements.

    <edited>

    "Whisky-dave" is absolutely right. To avoid any problems,
    always allow the camera, itself, to format memory cards.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 15, 2011