Re: comptia naming conventions.

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tony Sivori, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori Guest

    walterbyrd wrote:
    > You can not call a news group "A+" is
    > has to be called "a-plus."

    Not true. This newsgroup could have been alt.certification.a+ although the
    person sending the control probably wasn't aware of that. One such example
    is comp.lang.c++.

    > You never know what somebody will call the
    > designation: "A+", "a-plus", "A Plus" etc. This makes searching for
    > books, searching for jobs, searching for forums, etc. much more
    > difficult than it needs to be. When I put "security+" in the
    > monster.com search engine, monster.com sees it as just "security".
    >
    > I think CompTIA does a good job with it's certifications. But, please
    > change the names.

    My question was, and still is, why "A+"? What does the "A" reference? With
    Network +, Security +, Linux +, and Server + in all those cases the subject
    matter of the certification is obvious. But the A in A+ stands for nothing
    obvious. Seems to me that maybe something like PC+ would have been a better
    name for the certification.

    --
    Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori, Jun 29, 2003

  2. Tony Sivori

    walterbyrd Guest

    Notice you call the certs: "Network +, Security +, Linux +, and Server
    + "

    Others may say Network+, Security+, etc. Still others may
    "Network-Plus", or "Network Plus" or something else. Are you begining
    to see my point?

    I don't know about you, but I would rather have something like PMP
    after my name, as opposed to "Project+." Doctors, Lawyers,
    Accountants, use these few letter designations like MD, CPA - it looks
    professional. To me "Project+" just doesn't look nearly as good. Also
    I don't think it sounds as good. I would prefer to say: "I'm a PMP" as
    opposed to: "I have a Project+ certification." And to say say: "I have
    an A+ certification" is not descriptive at all.

    walterbyrd, Jun 29, 2003

  3. Tony Sivori

    RussS Guest

    I guess IMHO that one can not really consider A+, Network+, MCP, MCSE, CCNP,
    CISSP or any other certification as an equivalent to those most important
    ones MD. Sure they are very relevent to our profession and are something we
    may be proud of, however when you consider the time and effort studying for
    MCSE (or whatever) it hardly compares to what a doctor has to put in. I
    have met a few techies who are very full of their own self importance and
    have business cards whit every letter in the alphabet on them, but the one
    who looked, acted and presented himself the most professional just had the
    barest minimum.

    Look at it this way - it is Comptias game and they play things the way they
    see it - right or wrong.

    --
    RussS
    MCP W2K Pro & Server, A+, Net+

    http://www.techexams.net/

    RussS, Jun 29, 2003
  4. Tony Sivori

    CJ Guest

    > who looked, acted and presented himself the most professional just had the
    > barest minimum.

    Reminds me of what a professor once told me. If you hold a PhD there is no
    need to hang a Bachelor's or Master's on your wall. The PhD say it all!
    In other words, most of the time, just use the credential that is most
    applicable and highest obtained. But, then again, I do have my BS degree on
    my wall at home. I don't have to worry about Master's or PhD.. lol

    I do have my A+ and Network + now, and hope to finish my MCSA by the end of
    the month. My goal is to obtain the MCSE. When I finish I'll only put MCSE
    on my card or resume. I suppose if I chose Unix or Linux to further my
    career I'd be inclined to use those on my resume.

    Just my lousy 2 cents worth..

    Carolina

    CJ, Jun 29, 2003
  5. Tony Sivori

    RussS Guest

    Snap :)

    Doesn't hurt to list them all here, as they can be helpful to someone
    seeking advice, but on a business card the barest minumum. Same on a
    resume - I have seen all sorts of logos and crap there, but as an employer I
    look at these hugly multi-coloured CVs and think ... hmmmm, tacky.
    Then again, if you have MCSE, CISSP and say RHCE and you are a consultant in
    security, then they are all applicable and would be valid. In that case
    though I wouldn't even bother listing Comptia certs.

    --
    RussS
    MCP W2K Pro & Server, A+, Net+

    http://www.techexams.net/

    RussS, Jun 30, 2003
  6. Tony Sivori

    CJ Guest

    > Doesn't hurt to list them all here, as they can be helpful to someone
    > seeking advice, but on a business card the barest

    Well stated and good point!! I have asked persons of this ng questions that
    had certain cert's that I was interested in attached to their name.

    Carolina

    CJ, Jun 30, 2003
  7. Tony Sivori

    walterbyrd Guest

    I guess I'm just have a hard time making myself understood.

    > I guess IMHO that one can not really consider A+, Network+, MCP, MCSE, CCNP,
    > CISSP or any other certification as an equivalent to those most important
    > ones MD.

    I never said they were. That was never my point. I am saying that a
    few letters after your name is a convention that has been used by
    professionals for year. It looks more professional.

    > Look at it this way - it is Comptias game and they play things the way they
    > see it - right or wrong.

    My point was/is that CompTIA could provide a better service, by making
    some very simple changes. If enough people asked for those changes,
    I'm sure comptia would make those changes. "A+" is not descriptive.
    The "+" is a pain for search engines, and a varity of other reasons
    which I have already spelled out.

    walterbyrd, Jun 30, 2003
  8. Tony Sivori

    Pikoro Guest

    Apparently you feel misunderstood when people don't agree with you.
    You feel that to "look professional" you need a designation like accountants
    have.
    Not so, recruiters (the only people who have importance in this context)
    know perfectly well what A+ means.
    Who cares if others don't?
    Do you want recruiters to learn all over again what they have learnt over
    the years just because you feel it doesn't "look professional"?
    You tell them what you think "looks professional" and see if you get hired.
    Carpe Cervesis! (Grab a beer!) - Pikorus

    Post Scriptum: A+ is great on search engines, try it.

    Pikoro, Jul 1, 2003
  9. Tony Sivori

    Gavrilo Guest

    > > My point was/is that CompTIA could provide a better service, by making
    > > some very simple changes. If enough people asked for those changes,
    > > I'm sure comptia would make those changes. "A+" is not descriptive.
    > > The "+" is a pain for search engines, and a varity of other reasons
    > > which I have already spelled out.

    So, CompTIA certs are Vendor free. How about Certified Universal
    Network Technician.............. But on the other hand maybe you
    would'nt want those initials after your name.

    Gavrilo

    Gavrilo, Jul 7, 2003