Re: comptia naming conventions.

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by JimW±, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. JimW±

    JimW± Guest

    You make some good points

    CompTIA Certified Computer Professional would work - but for the abbreviation
    .... maybe Computer Technology Industry Association Certified Professional ( CTIACP )

    Even several front desk people at a career college (that taught MCSE courses) did not know what A+ meant - it is terribly nondescriptive

    JimW±, Jun 29, 2003

  2. JimW±

    Ghost Guest

    And why is any of this being discussed here?

    We have no control over whatever CompaTIA wants to do. This should be
    taken up with CompTIA if you think there is a chance in hell they might
    respond and change something.

    While the original point does have some merit, it is like complaining
    about the weather- there is nothing we can do.
    Ghost, Jun 29, 2003

  3. JimW±

    walterbyrd Guest

    Maybe you didn't notice this at the bottom of my message:

    Please send your own letter to:
    http://comptia.com/contact/default.asp

    Write to CompTIA. Ask them to change their naming conventions.
    Encorage others to do so. Don't be such a defeatest. CompTIA may not
    even be aware of how badly their naming conventions suck.

    BTW: last time I spoke with skilldrill, they told me they were
    considering monitored testing. This would put their tests on par with
    CompTIA. Thank Goodness, the industry needs more than one PC tech
    certification. Especailly since CompTIA is lacking in many ways.

    walterbyrd, Jun 29, 2003
  4. JimW±

    Pikoro Guest

    A+ stands for an entry level course that prepares you in many different
    fields. The + is a convention that CompTIA adds to its certs. to distinguish
    them from others, and I must say that it is quite attractive, a marketing
    quirk.
    Thus, an A+ tech. would be considered for additional training and then
    repair of computers, printers, networks, help desk, etc.
    PC+ would not be an accurate description of all the subjects covered in the
    exam.
    Moreover, A+ will bump you high on searches and keywords, not so PC+.
    Lastly, we cannot change it now, it is already established so the whole
    issue is moot. Imagine all the techs. that have already promoted their
    resumes with the A+ designation, having to change it now.
    As with any convention it is just a handy way of naming things; conventions
    are sometimes illogical, but correct simply because used.
    "O tempora, o mores." (Cicero)

    Pikoro, Jun 30, 2003