Re: Complete Solution for Enjoying Digital or Analog TV on Your PC!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Taylor, Aug 12, 2008.

  1. Dave Taylor

    Dave Taylor Guest

    thingy <> wrote in news:48a12b29$:

    > archaic...most modern boards these days have 2+ pci-e 1s....3 and 4 is
    > not uncommon...plus future proofing...

    My P4 2.4 only has PCI with AGP, and it does just fine for what I need it
    to do.
    I thought these type of devices were USB2 now?

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 12, 2008

  2. Dave Taylor

    impossible Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >> thingy <> wrote in news:48a12b29$:
    >>
    >>> archaic...most modern boards these days have 2+ pci-e 1s....3 and 4 is
    >>> not uncommon...plus future proofing...
    >>>

    >> My P4 2.4 only has PCI with AGP, and it does just fine for what I need it
    >> to do.
    >> I thought these type of devices were USB2 now?
    >>

    > Depends on the age of your kit...
    >
    > yes lots of these are usb2, some firewire which is my choice, generally I
    > would not buy PCI these days, I'd rather go pci-e if possible...usually
    > because lots of motherboards have pci-e 1's and far fewer pci's and the
    > pci-e interface "should" last longer then pci...however pci-e stuff seems
    > poorly Linux supported...so its a balancing act I guess.

    For a DVR or home theatre system, your best bet is Windows anyway. Either XP
    Media Center Edition or Vista Home Premium. I have an XP MCE system with 2
    of these so I can watch one program and record another (or record two
    seperate programs) at the same time:

    http://www.visiontek.com/products/theater/tvw650_pcie.html

    Works brillinatly straight out of the box.
    impossible, Aug 12, 2008

  3. On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:14:11 GMT, "impossible" <>
    wrote:

    >"thing" <> wrote in message
    >> Dave Taylor wrote:

    >>> My P4 2.4 only has PCI with AGP, and it does just fine for what I need it
    >>> to do.
    >>> I thought these type of devices were USB2 now?
    >>>

    >> Depends on the age of your kit...
    >>
    >> yes lots of these are usb2, some firewire which is my choice, generally I
    >> would not buy PCI these days, I'd rather go pci-e if possible...usually
    >> because lots of motherboards have pci-e 1's and far fewer pci's and the
    >> pci-e interface "should" last longer then pci...however pci-e stuff seems
    >> poorly Linux supported...so its a balancing act I guess.
    >>

    >For a DVR or home theatre system, your best bet is Windows anyway. Either XP
    >Media Center Edition or Vista Home Premium. I have an XP MCE system with 2
    >of these so I can watch one program and record another (or record two
    >seperate programs) at the same time:
    >
    >http://www.visiontek.com/products/theater/tvw650_pcie.html
    >
    >Works brillinatly straight out of the box.

    But MCE does not support the standards used for DVB-T in NZ and does
    not support our EPG either (although it may be possible to kludge the
    latter). So how can it work brilliantly out of the box without EPG???

    The VisionTek/ATI software that comes with that card might work with
    NZ TV, but not MCE. And the card itself will not work in NZ as it is
    ATSC (US HD standard) and NTSC (US SD standard), neither of which is
    used here.
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 12, 2008
  4. Dave Taylor

    NR Guest

    On Aug 12, 11:14 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "thing" <> wrote in message

    > > Dave Taylor wrote:

    > >> My P4 2.4 only has PCI with AGP, and it does just fine for what I need it
    > >> to do.
    > >> I thought these type of devices were USB2 now?

    > > Depends on the age of your kit...

    > > yes lots of these are usb2, some firewire which is my choice, generally I
    > > would not buy PCI these days, I'd rather go pci-e if possible...usually
    > > because lots of motherboards have pci-e 1's and far fewer pci's and the
    > > pci-e interface "should" last longer then pci...however pci-e stuff seems
    > > poorly Linux supported...so its a balancing act I guess.

    > For a DVR or home theatre system, your best bet is Windows anyway. Either XP
    > Media Center Edition or Vista Home Premium. I have an XP MCE system with 2
    > of these so I can watch one program and record another (or record two
    > seperate programs) at the same time:
    >
    > http://www.visiontek.com/products/theater/tvw650_pcie.html
    >
    > Works brillinatly straight out of the box.

    Well best software for such a system is naturally a matter of taste. I
    am doing DVB-S freeview (SD) in mythtv and can record all the channels
    on freeview at once, if I so choose. To do that I only require two
    relatively cheap DVB-S cards. I have EPG. I have complete choice of
    codecs for non tv material. I have a lot of extra stuff that MCE
    doesn't have. And I only have a 2.4G Celeron with 512MB RAM. And the
    software is 100% free (in both senses of the word).
    NR, Aug 12, 2008
  5. Dave Taylor

    impossible Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:14:11 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"thing" <> wrote in message

    >>> Depends on the age of your kit...
    >>>
    >>> yes lots of these are usb2, some firewire which is my choice, generally
    >>> would not buy PCI these days, I'd rather go pci-e if possible...usually
    >>> because lots of motherboards have pci-e 1's and far fewer pci's and the
    >>> pci-e interface "should" last longer then pci...however pci-e stuff
    >>> seems
    >>> poorly Linux supported...so its a balancing act I guess.
    >>>

    >>For a DVR or home theatre system, your best bet is Windows anyway. Either
    >>XP
    >>Media Center Edition or Vista Home Premium. I have an XP MCE system with 2
    >>of these so I can watch one program and record another (or record two
    >>seperate programs) at the same time:
    >>
    >>http://www.visiontek.com/products/theater/tvw650_pcie.html
    >>
    >>Works brillinatly straight out of the box.
    >>

    > But MCE does not support the standards used for DVB-T in NZ and does
    > not support our EPG either (although it may be possible to kludge the
    > latter). So how can it work brilliantly out of the box without EPG???

    Get over it.

    http://www.mediacollege.com/microsoft/windows/media-center/new-zealand.html

    > The VisionTek/ATI software that comes with that card might work with
    > NZ TV, but not MCE.

    The ATI driver software is all you need with MCE or Vista. Most of the card
    manufacturers offer their own interface, but they're uniformly dreadful as
    far as I can tell.

    > And the card itself will not work in NZ as it is
    > ATSC (US HD standard) and NTSC (US SD standard), neither of which is
    > used here.

    Duh, you buy the PAL version -- if not VisonTek, then Hauappage, or
    whatever. Quit your whining and read how others have managed.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/pandrew/archive/2007/01/21/new-windows-media-center-xp-mce-pc.aspx
    impossible, Aug 13, 2008
  6. Dave Taylor

    impossible Guest

    "NR" <> wrote in message
    On Aug 12, 11:14 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "thing" <> wrote in message

    > > Dave Taylor wrote:

    > >> My P4 2.4 only has PCI with AGP, and it does just fine for what I need
    > >> it
    > >> to do.
    > >> I thought these type of devices were USB2 now?

    > > Depends on the age of your kit...

    > > yes lots of these are usb2, some firewire which is my choice, generally
    > > would not buy PCI these days, I'd rather go pci-e if possible...usually
    > > because lots of motherboards have pci-e 1's and far fewer pci's and the
    > > pci-e interface "should" last longer then pci...however pci-e stuff
    > > seems
    > > poorly Linux supported...so its a balancing act I guess.

    > For a DVR or home theatre system, your best bet is Windows anyway. Either
    > XP
    > Media Center Edition or Vista Home Premium. I have an XP MCE system with 2
    > of these so I can watch one program and record another (or record two
    > seperate programs) at the same time:
    >
    > http://www.visiontek.com/products/theater/tvw650_pcie.html
    >
    > Works brillinatly straight out of the box.

    Well best software for such a system is naturally a matter of taste. I
    am doing DVB-S freeview (SD) in mythtv and can record all the channels
    on freeview at once, if I so choose. To do that I only require two
    relatively cheap DVB-S cards. I have EPG. I have complete choice of
    codecs for non tv material. I have a lot of extra stuff that MCE
    doesn't have. And I only have a 2.4G Celeron with 512MB RAM. And the
    software is 100% free (in both senses of the word).

    Yes, home theatre systems work surprisingly well on hardware you would never
    consider using for your main pc. I use an AMD X2-4200 with mine and an
    outrageously cheap ATI HD3600 for my video card. As for the software, so
    long as you're getting everything you want from freeview, then stick with it
    by all means. The Windows MCE interface is terrific, I think, and you get
    can get a purpose-built remote that handles everything with the greatest of
    ease -- but that's just my bias.
    impossible, Aug 13, 2008
  7. Dave Taylor

    NR Guest

    On Aug 13, 12:18 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "NR" <> wrote in message

    > On Aug 12, 11:14 pm, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >

    > > "thing" <> wrote in message

    > > > Depends on the age of your kit...

    > > > yes lots of these are usb2, some firewire which is my choice, generally
    > > > would not buy PCI these days, I'd rather go pci-e if possible...usually
    > > > because lots of motherboards have pci-e 1's and far fewer pci's and the
    > > > pci-e interface "should" last longer then pci...however pci-e stuff
    > > > seems
    > > > poorly Linux supported...so its a balancing act I guess.

    > > For a DVR or home theatre system, your best bet is Windows anyway. Either
    > > XP
    > > Media Center Edition or Vista Home Premium. I have an XP MCE system with 2
    > > of these so I can watch one program and record another (or record two
    > > seperate programs) at the same time:

    > >http://www.visiontek.com/products/theater/tvw650_pcie.html

    > > Works brillinatly straight out of the box.

    > Well best software for such a system is naturally a matter of taste. I
    > am doing DVB-S freeview (SD) in mythtv and can record all the channels
    > on freeview at once, if I so choose. To do that I only require two
    > relatively cheap DVB-S cards. I have EPG. I have complete choice of
    > codecs for non tv material. I have a lot of extra stuff that MCE
    > doesn't have. And I only have a 2.4G Celeron with 512MB RAM. And the
    > software is 100% free (in both senses of the word).
    >
    > Yes, home theatre systems work surprisingly well on hardware you would never
    > consider using for your main pc. I use an AMD X2-4200 with mine and an
    > outrageously cheap ATI HD3600 for my video card. As for the software, so
    > long as you're getting everything you want from freeview, then stick with it
    > by all means. The Windows MCE interface is terrific, I think, and you get
    > can get a purpose-built remote that handles everything with the greatest of
    > ease -- but that's just my bias.

    Well I am using a PVR, Mythtv. It too has a remote (a microsoft one
    actually, not a bad hardware company :) )

    I think the mythtv interface is fantastic, I have tried MCE a couple
    of times in the shop and didn't find it all that intuitive, but with
    training I might get to like it better. But as I understand it, MCE is
    quite restrictive. I saw mention that it won't handle DVB-S or DVB-
    Talthough I may be remembering wrong. That makes it pretty useless in
    NZ unless you are prepared to put up with analogue TV (yuk). Again,
    these are my biases, they are just skewed a bit differently to
    yours :)

    Cheers, Nick.
    NR, Aug 13, 2008
  8. On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:06:37 GMT, "impossible" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:14:11 GMT, "impossible" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"thing" <> wrote in message

    >>>For a DVR or home theatre system, your best bet is Windows anyway. Either
    >>>XP
    >>>Media Center Edition or Vista Home Premium. I have an XP MCE system with 2
    >>>of these so I can watch one program and record another (or record two
    >>>seperate programs) at the same time:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.visiontek.com/products/theater/tvw650_pcie.html
    >>>
    >>>Works brillinatly straight out of the box.
    >>>

    >> But MCE does not support the standards used for DVB-T in NZ and does
    >> not support our EPG either (although it may be possible to kludge the
    >> latter). So how can it work brilliantly out of the box without EPG???
    >>

    >Get over it.
    >
    >http://www.mediacollege.com/microsoft/windows/media-center/new-zealand.html
    >

    >> The VisionTek/ATI software that comes with that card might work with
    >> NZ TV, but not MCE.

    >The ATI driver software is all you need with MCE or Vista. Most of the card
    >manufacturers offer their own interface, but they're uniformly dreadful as
    >far as I can tell.
    >
    >> And the card itself will not work in NZ as it is
    >> ATSC (US HD standard) and NTSC (US SD standard), neither of which is
    >> used here.

    >Duh, you buy the PAL version -- if not VisonTek, then Hauappage, or
    >whatever. Quit your whining and read how others have managed.
    >
    >http://blogs.msdn.com/pandrew/archive/2007/01/21/new-windows-media-center-xp-mce-pc.aspx

    Who is whining? I am happily using GBPVR and two USB tuners. You
    were the one that said MCE works "out of the box". It does not work
    in NZ without serious hacking.
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 13, 2008
  9. Dave Taylor

    Richard Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 01:16:45 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Dave Taylor wrote:

    >>> My P4 2.4 only has PCI with AGP, and it does just fine for what I need it
    >>> to do.
    >>> I thought these type of devices were USB2 now?

    >> Chances of it being able to play a h264 hd channel are virtually nil, so
    >> its lack of PCIe shouldnt count against it.

    > No it does not go look at the Raw data regiments for 1080p its way below the PCI speed.

    Ok, now find a video card that will go into an AGP machine with working
    h264 support - there are many tales of it not working for many many people.

    Without a accelerated video card there isnt a shitshow in hell of an old
    slow p4 playing it.
    Richard, Aug 13, 2008
  10. In article <>, Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:06:37 GMT, "impossible" <>
    >wrote:

    (snip)
    >Who is whining? I am happily using GBPVR and two USB tuners. You
    >were the one that said MCE works "out of the box". It does not work
    >in NZ without serious hacking.

    "Discussions" with 'impossible' are just that. Data will be ignored and
    dogma shown at all points.
    It is said that you shouldn't argue with a fool as those who are watching
    cannot tell which one is the fool. Your choice :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 14, 2008
  11. Dave Taylor

    impossible Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:06:37 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>message news:...

    >>> But MCE does not support the standards used for DVB-T in NZ and does
    >>> not support our EPG either (although it may be possible to kludge the
    >>> latter). So how can it work brilliantly out of the box without EPG???
    >>>

    >>Get over it.
    >>
    >>http://www.mediacollege.com/microsoft/windows/media-center/new-zealand.html
    >>

    >>> The VisionTek/ATI software that comes with that card might work with
    >>> NZ TV, but not MCE.

    >>The ATI driver software is all you need with MCE or Vista. Most of the
    >>card
    >>manufacturers offer their own interface, but they're uniformly dreadful as
    >>far as I can tell.
    >>
    >>> And the card itself will not work in NZ as it is
    >>> ATSC (US HD standard) and NTSC (US SD standard), neither of which is
    >>> used here.

    >>Duh, you buy the PAL version -- if not VisonTek, then Hauappage, or
    >>whatever. Quit your whining and read how others have managed.
    >>
    >>http://blogs.msdn.com/pandrew/archive/2007/01/21/new-windows-media-center-xp-mce-pc.aspx

    > Who is whining? I am happily using GBPVR and two USB tuners. You
    > were the one that said MCE works "out of the box".
    > It does not work
    > in NZ without serious hacking.

    Clearly, as I've shown, Windows MCE works just fine with some minor
    tweaking. Much less tweaking, in fact, than what you would have been
    required to do get a buggy program like GBPVR working properly.
    impossible, Aug 14, 2008
  12. On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:05:43 GMT, "impossible" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 00:06:37 GMT, "impossible" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>>message news:...

    >>>Get over it.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.mediacollege.com/microsoft/windows/media-center/new-zealand.html

    >>>The ATI driver software is all you need with MCE or Vista. Most of the
    >>>card
    >>>manufacturers offer their own interface, but they're uniformly dreadful as
    >>>far as I can tell.

    >>>Duh, you buy the PAL version -- if not VisonTek, then Hauappage, or
    >>>whatever. Quit your whining and read how others have managed.
    >>>
    >>>http://blogs.msdn.com/pandrew/archive/2007/01/21/new-windows-media-center-xp-mce-pc.aspx

    >> Who is whining? I am happily using GBPVR and two USB tuners. You
    >> were the one that said MCE works "out of the box".
    >> It does not work
    >> in NZ without serious hacking.

    >Clearly, as I've shown, Windows MCE works just fine with some minor
    >tweaking. Much less tweaking, in fact, than what you would have been
    >required to do get a buggy program like GBPVR working properly.

    Working "out of the box" means working without any tweaking at all. So
    you have contradicted yourself there. And the hacking needed to make
    MCE work in NZ is far from minor. And it still does not work at all
    with DVB-T, as far as I know. GBPVR is certainly a little buggy in
    its NZ support, but better every new version. And it is working well
    enough for me that I am using it every day to watch HD from DVB-T. I
    never did find a web page that said how to do that with MCE.
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 14, 2008
  13. Dave Taylor

    impossible Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:05:43 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>message news:...

    >>> Who is whining? I am happily using GBPVR and two USB tuners. You
    >>> were the one that said MCE works "out of the box".
    >>> It does not work
    >>> in NZ without serious hacking.

    >>Clearly, as I've shown, Windows MCE works just fine with some minor
    >>tweaking. Much less tweaking, in fact, than what you would have been
    >>required to do get a buggy program like GBPVR working properly.

    > Working "out of the box" means working without any tweaking at all. So
    > you have contradicted yourself there. And the hacking needed to make
    > MCE work in NZ is far from minor. And it still does not work at all
    > with DVB-T, as far as I know. GBPVR is certainly a little buggy in
    > its NZ support, but better every new version. And it is working well
    > enough for me that I am using it every day to watch HD from DVB-T. I
    > never did find a web page that said how to do that with MCE.

    "Working well enough for me" is really a dynamite recommendation for a piece
    of software. Funny how some people will accept all manner of inconvenience
    so long as it's not a Microsoft product. Enjoy!.
    impossible, Aug 15, 2008
  14. On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:01:33 GMT, "impossible" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:05:43 GMT, "impossible" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>>message news:...

    >>>Clearly, as I've shown, Windows MCE works just fine with some minor
    >>>tweaking. Much less tweaking, in fact, than what you would have been
    >>>required to do get a buggy program like GBPVR working properly.

    >> Working "out of the box" means working without any tweaking at all. So
    >> you have contradicted yourself there. And the hacking needed to make
    >> MCE work in NZ is far from minor. And it still does not work at all
    >> with DVB-T, as far as I know. GBPVR is certainly a little buggy in
    >> its NZ support, but better every new version. And it is working well
    >> enough for me that I am using it every day to watch HD from DVB-T. I
    >> never did find a web page that said how to do that with MCE.

    >"Working well enough for me" is really a dynamite recommendation for a piece
    >of software. Funny how some people will accept all manner of inconvenience
    >so long as it's not a Microsoft product. Enjoy!.

    Support for the NZ HD standards in *any* software is new and a bit
    flaky, due to our having chosen bleeding edge technology. So yes,
    there are still some issues being worked on in *all* the software that
    supports NZ HD. But if I was trying to use MCE, I would not have been
    able to have been enjoying watching HD for several months now as NZ HD
    simply did not work in MCE when I started trying to get it working.
    And it still does not, AFAIK, and there are no signs at all that
    Microsoft are ever intending to fix that.

    MCE suffers from a complete incapacity to do what I want, which is
    vastly more than just an "inconvenience".
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 15, 2008
  15. Dave Taylor

    impossible Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:01:33 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>message news:...

    >>> Working "out of the box" means working without any tweaking at all. So
    >>> you have contradicted yourself there. And the hacking needed to make
    >>> MCE work in NZ is far from minor. And it still does not work at all
    >>> with DVB-T, as far as I know. GBPVR is certainly a little buggy in
    >>> its NZ support, but better every new version. And it is working well
    >>> enough for me that I am using it every day to watch HD from DVB-T. I
    >>> never did find a web page that said how to do that with MCE.

    >>"Working well enough for me" is really a dynamite recommendation for a
    >>piece
    >>of software. Funny how some people will accept all manner of inconvenience
    >>so long as it's not a Microsoft product. Enjoy!.

    > Support for the NZ HD standards in *any* software is new and a bit
    > flaky, due to our having chosen bleeding edge technology. So yes,
    > there are still some issues being worked on in *all* the software that
    > supports NZ HD. But if I was trying to use MCE, I would not have been
    > able to have been enjoying watching HD for several months now as NZ HD
    > simply did not work in MCE when I started trying to get it working.
    > And it still does not, AFAIK, and there are no signs at all that
    > Microsoft are ever intending to fix that.
    >
    > MCE suffers from a complete incapacity to do what I want, which is
    > vastly more than just an "inconvenience".

    Yes, Vista's probably what you want.
    impossible, Aug 16, 2008
  16. On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 00:00:23 GMT, "impossible" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:01:33 GMT, "impossible" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>>message news:...

    >>>"Working well enough for me" is really a dynamite recommendation for a
    >>>piece
    >>>of software. Funny how some people will accept all manner of inconvenience
    >>>so long as it's not a Microsoft product. Enjoy!.

    >> Support for the NZ HD standards in *any* software is new and a bit
    >> flaky, due to our having chosen bleeding edge technology. So yes,
    >> there are still some issues being worked on in *all* the software that
    >> supports NZ HD. But if I was trying to use MCE, I would not have been
    >> able to have been enjoying watching HD for several months now as NZ HD
    >> simply did not work in MCE when I started trying to get it working.
    >> And it still does not, AFAIK, and there are no signs at all that
    >> Microsoft are ever intending to fix that.
    >>
    >> MCE suffers from a complete incapacity to do what I want, which is
    >> vastly more than just an "inconvenience".

    >Yes, Vista's probably what you want.

    I am using Vista Ultimate. MCE does not work for NZ HD.
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 16, 2008
  17. On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:21:09 +1200, oneofus <> wrote:

    >impossible wrote:
    >> "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >> message news:...

    >>> Support for the NZ HD standards in *any* software is new and a bit
    >>> flaky, due to our having chosen bleeding edge technology. So yes,
    >>> there are still some issues being worked on in *all* the software that
    >>> supports NZ HD. But if I was trying to use MCE, I would not have been
    >>> able to have been enjoying watching HD for several months now as NZ HD
    >>> simply did not work in MCE when I started trying to get it working.
    >>> And it still does not, AFAIK, and there are no signs at all that
    >>> Microsoft are ever intending to fix that.
    >>>
    >>> MCE suffers from a complete incapacity to do what I want, which is
    >>> vastly more than just an "inconvenience".

    >> Yes, Vista's probably what you want.

    >Some helpful chap RustyGonad has put up what you need to do with Vista
    >to get Freeview working
    >http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=83&TopicId=18907
    >
    >It doesn't work out of the box.

    I have not gone through those instructions in detail, but as far as I
    can see they only make MCE do DVB-S, not DVB-T (HD).
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 16, 2008
  18. Dave Taylor

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-08-16, impossible <> wrote:
    snip people yes, no question

    > Yes, Vista's probably what you want.

    Nope, is snipping of ones reply.
    Gordon, Aug 16, 2008
  19. On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:49:52 +1200, oneofus <> wrote:

    >Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:21:09 +1200, oneofus <> wrote:

    >>> Some helpful chap RustyGonad has put up what you need to do with Vista
    >>> to get Freeview working
    >>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=83&TopicId=18907
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't work out of the box.

    >> I have not gone through those instructions in detail, but as far as I
    >> can see they only make MCE do DVB-S, not DVB-T (HD).

    >Any idea when or if they are going to add that functionality ?
    >Or is it one of those system peculiar to countries outside the US that
    >Microsoft classify as not worth the trouble ?

    My guess is the latter. Microsoft's MCE team have shown no sign that
    they know of the existence of NZ. I am hoping that Korea follows us
    and Norway and uses the same HD format - that seems to be what it
    would take for MS to notice they needed to fix this.
    Stephen Worthington, Aug 16, 2008
  20. On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 20:00:45 +1200, Brian Mathews <> wrote
    in <news:>:

    > On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:49:52 +1200, oneofus <> wrote:
    >
    >>Stephen Worthington wrote:

    >>> I have not gone through those instructions in detail, but as far as I
    >>> can see they only make MCE do DVB-S, not DVB-T (HD).

    >>Any idea when or if they are going to add that functionality ?
    >>Or is it one of those system peculiar to countries outside the US that
    >>Microsoft classify as not worth the trouble ?

    > Yes to many sheep here, they don't buy computers

    And Sheppard needs a new roll of VELCRO.

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 16, 2008