Re: Compact low light

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Apr 30, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:04:33 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2010-04-29 17:11:13 -0700, Minburn <> said:
    >
    >> Of cameras on the market now, any small, compact point and shoots that
    >> perform well with low light conditions and/or allow for higher than
    >> usual ISO than other compacts? Replacing an older, damaged Fuji that
    >> did well in this regard.

    >Canon G11
    >< http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong11/ >

    Whatever the Canon G11's other virtues as a P&S are, small and compact
    are not among them. It might be small and compact compared to a
    bulky, weighty DSLR, but compared to most other P&S digicams it is
    relatively large and heavy.

    Instead, I suggest the OP should consider the FujiFilm FinePix F200EXR
    which has excellent low noise performance for a small-sensor P&S. It
    is also reasonably priced, compact and has a useful 5X zoom lens.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/FujiFilm/fujifilm_f200exr.asp
    Bruce, Apr 30, 2010

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 06:39:02 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >On 2010-04-30 01:44:31 -0700, Bruce <> said:
    >
    >> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:04:33 -0700, Savageduck
    >> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> Canon G11
    >>> < http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong11/ >

    >> Whatever the Canon G11's other virtues as a P&S are, small and compact
    >> are not among them. It might be small and compact compared to a
    >> bulky, weighty DSLR, but compared to most other P&S digicams it is
    >> relatively large and heavy.
    >>
    >> Instead, I suggest the OP should consider the FujiFilm FinePix F200EXR
    >> which has excellent low noise performance for a small-sensor P&S. It
    >> is also reasonably priced, compact and has a useful 5X zoom lens.
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/FujiFilm/fujifilm_f200exr.asp

    >Just going with my experience.

    Nothing wrong with that. I preferred to address the question that was
    asked, rather than impose my own personal choices on others.

    >Along with the G11 I also have a
    >FujiFilm E900 which regardless of the acceptable to excellent IQ it
    >produces, is a "menu & control" pain in the ass. The G11 is a pleasure
    >to use.

    To someone who has already owned a FujiFilm P&S digicam, the controls
    that appear to you a "pain in the ass" would seem comfortingly
    familiar. Once again, I think it is a good idea to address the
    question that was asked.

    >My G11 is positively miniature compared my main shooter, a D300s + MB-D10.

    I made that point earlier. You actually quoted it above, but appear
    not to have read it.

    The OP isn't interested in a comparison between a large and far from
    compact P&S and a DSLR. Once again, at the risk of repeating myself,
    I think it is a good idea to address the question that was asked.
    Bruce, Apr 30, 2010

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:56:21 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >So you have made your suggestion, I have made mine, as others have
    >suggested DSLRs and micro 4/3. Now it is up to the OP to read between
    >the lines, and make his choice.

    I think it is up to those responding to a question, first to read the
    OP's question (which some seem not to have done) and then try to
    answer that question, rather than try to impose their own choices and
    prejudices.

    You, and those who have suggested DSLRs and Micro 4/3, haven't
    answered the question that was asked. The question was a clear as
    could be.
    Bruce, Apr 30, 2010