Re: Comcast to cap newsgroup downloads?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Billh, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Billh

    Billh Guest

    Welcome to the new world of news servers. If you want to download a lot of
    files you will be paying for it. I kicked and screamed when it happened at
    my ISP now I am paying Newshosting.com ten bucks a month to get what I want.
    I agree with the comment you will not give up your cable modem. What I was
    told by my service is I was in the 1% of people on the service that would
    use news groups. In fact they may be right most users I talk to do not even
    know what a news group is second if you are just "reading" posting then 1
    gig is fine. So your best course of action is to look in to the up charge
    at Gigganews for the amount you want to download.

    Billh, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Billh

    Michael Guest

    Billh wrote:
    > is second if you are just "reading" posting then 1 gig is fine.

    Not if what you're "reading" is video. :)

    ((U))

    Michael, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Billh

    Jimchip Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:00:47 -0400, Billh wrote:
    [snip]
    > What I was
    > told by my service is I was in the 1% of people on the service that would
    > use news groups.

    You were lied to.

    [snip]

    --
    We will have solar energy as soon as the utility companies solve
    one technical problem -- how to run sunlight through a meter.

    Jimchip, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Billh

    Billh Guest

    What I guess I should have said is 1 gig should be fine if you are using
    text groups only.

    Billh, Jul 11, 2003
  5. Billh

    Billh Guest

    While I agree the 1% seamed low to me as well but then I am on a small
    system with only 3-5000 subscribers and I talked with one of the head techs.
    I support 100's of users at a school and I would bet if asked 90% would have
    no idea what a newsgroup was so maybe 10% would have been a more fair
    answer.

    Billh, Jul 11, 2003
  6. Billh

    Michael Guest

    Billh wrote:

    > What I guess I should have said is 1 gig should be fine if you are
    > using text groups only.

    Fine, but the OP specifically noted binaries as his reason to use broadband
    for news. :)

    ((U))

    Michael, Jul 11, 2003
  7. > Fine, but the OP specifically noted binaries as his reason to use
    > broadband for news. :)

    One other thing Comcast and others should consider.

    Providing newsgroups is part of the standard package. Some go all the way,
    some provide half or a quarter of what's available. Some keep the posts
    for a week, some for a day. But how many ISPs try to lure customers by
    stating, "We only give you the Internet--you can't use newsgroups if you
    sign up with us?"

    Now, how many people spend double per month just so they can send e-mail
    one second faster?

    Arnold Gallagher, Jul 12, 2003
  8. Billh

    Billh Guest

    Let me agree with you that we should get full service news servers from our
    isp.

    But here is the harsh reality a lot of isp's are cutting down or closing all
    together news servers. Reasons are many, high bandwidth use and illegal
    copy write infringement being the main two.

    So here is what you do spend a few days being pissed off about it like I did
    then decide do you want to go back to dialup or fork over the extra per
    month to down load what you want. I paid the money.

    Billh, Jul 12, 2003