Re: Column: Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?bHJzY2h3YXJ0ejI=?=, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. Charlie,
    I have an Athlon 64 bit processor and am considering upgrading from XP pro
    to x64, however, I am concerned that x64 will not support all my hardware,
    i.e., not have all the drivers I need. Also, will Office 2003 still run in an
    x64 enviroment?

    =?Utf-8?B?bHJzY2h3YXJ0ejI=?=, Mar 30, 2006

  2. There is no upgrade path from Windows XP Professional x86 to Windows XP
    Professional X64, clean installs only, but you can create a separate
    partition and install it on it. Office 2003 runs just fine on Windows XP
    Professional X64. As for hardware, that depends, its best you do a thorough
    research to find out if your existing devices have drivers available from
    the manufacturers web site. Charlie will add more detailed information.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 30, 2006

  3. Installation of x64 Edition is NOT an upgrade. It's a fresh install, with
    all that entails. You should not install it on the same partition as an
    existing 32-bit installation without formatting the partition.

    As for hardware drivers - start with your mfg web site, and the other good
    place to look is www.planetamd64.com.

    And yes, Office 2k3 runs just fine.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 30, 2006
  4. Also check Charlie Russels: An overview of Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition Webcast, good stuff in there:

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 30, 2006
  5. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 31, 2006
  6. I have XP Prof 64 and a CeleronD with 64bit capability. Windows installed OK
    but my graphics card doesn't have a 64 bit driver so I guess I need to change
    it. I want to carry out photo processing and need a suitable program; any
    suggestions?

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFydGlu?=, Apr 10, 2006
  7. What graphics card do you have? There may be a beta driver somewhere.

    For photo processing, Adobe Photoshop, currently at version CS2, is
    considered the best but may be too expensive if you are not very serious
    about photo processing.
    Adobe Photoshop Elements, now at version 4, has nearly everything a
    photographer could want and is much cheaper.

    Adobe recommends a graphics card with at least 128MB of memory for photo
    processing.

    The GIMP is free, see http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/
    Some photographers are happy with Paintshop Pro, see http://www.corel.com/.

    This assumes you want to carry out detailed editing on single images.
    If you are looking to make bulk adjustments to multiple images you should be
    seeking a photographers workflow program.

    Dominic Payer, Apr 10, 2006
  8. for graphics cards - any fairly recent model with either ATI or NVidea
    chipsets should be fine. ATI seems to have been doing a better job of
    updating their drivers regularly, for whatever that is worth.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 10, 2006
  9. Hi
    My name is ali i used windows xp 64-bit
    i have USR5633B 56K USB Faxmodem i try my best for search drivers
    if any one have then please send me

    One thing more i used windows vista in which i have no full drivers of my
    sound card
    Creative Audigy2ZS
    &
    In my PC MY RAM IS 4-GB Corsair5400c pro in windows xp properties my system
    shown only 2gb but in windows xp and in windows vista he shows 4GB

    Waiting for your prompt reply

    AliAwaisKhan
    =?Utf-8?B?QWxpQXdhaXNLaGFu?=, Feb 23, 2007