RE: Column: Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgSGlnaGFt?=, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. Charlie,

    I have XP64 installed - had to get a new anti-virus and a few similar issues
    but basically works well. I now wan't to synchronise info. with my Bluetooth
    phone.

    Is Bluetooth supported under XP64. I can't see any reference to Bluetooth in
    Control Panel.

    Many Thanks,

    Steve

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgSGlnaGFt?=, Nov 25, 2005

  2. Yes, there's bluetooth support. But not all devices or controllers have x64
    drivers at this point. I'm using bluetooth for my mouse (and Acer Ferrari
    mouse to go with my Acer Ferrari 4005 laptop.) Works fine. But others have
    reported issues with specific bluetooth devices.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 25, 2005

    =?Utf-8?B?RmFzdG1hbg==?=, Dec 8, 2005
  4. Sorry to piggyback but I cannot figure out how to post a new question.
    Tyan mobo : Thunder K8WE, S2895, Dual CPU.
    (2) AMD 64 Opteron CPU's Model 254
    OS: Windows XP Pro Service pack 2. 2002.
    Memory: (6) 1 GB Corsair registered
    Antec *Titan 550* server case.

    Problem: System only recognizes 2.75 GB of RAM.
    Tyan tech support says I need to upgrade to XP Pro 64 bit.
    Then *all* my 6 GB's of RAM can be used.

    OK, so where do I get XP Pro 64 bit, as it seems that I cannot "upgrade my
    XP Pro version 2002?
    And does any of this make any sense to you?
    TIA
    --=Fastman

    =?Utf-8?B?RmFzdG1hbg==?=, Dec 8, 2005
  5. If you are using OE, click the "New Post" icon on the tool bar.

    XP Pro x64 is only available as an OEM edition. It is not available in a
    retail box. It is intended to come preinstalled on a new computer. You can
    get it from a few sources (who will usually include a piece of hardware to
    meet basic OEM requirements) such as:

    http://www.directron.com/winxpx64.html

    http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102034

    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14638&vpn=ZAT-00007&manufacture=Microsoft

    http://www.planetamd64.com/catalog/...id=28&osCsid=8b1ad936dd6a62561f771a1740b052d5

    Since only a clean install is supported, consider setting it up on a
    separate drive in a dual boot scenario.

    Enjoy!

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 8, 2005
  6. Colin,
    OE, yes how silly of me. I use Netscape, Opera, Mozilla, and Firefox.
    I negleted to mention that I am running a Seagate 146 GB 10k RPM, Ultra320
    SCSI HDD. Thus far it has nothing on it other than the XP OS, so perhaps a
    better way would be to just wipe the HDD, and then install the 64 bit XP.
    Make sense? I do have another Seagate 120GB HDD but it's an ultra ATA. I
    guess I could install it, and install the XP 64 on it, but that seems a waste.
    Or maybe add another SCSI HDD?

    I'm not real sure how to do a "dual boot" setup, but I can learn.

    The egg is where I buy most of my components, but I'll check out the other
    links you so kindly provided.

    So far it's egg for 142.95. I know them well, and they are fast & reliable.
    The others I don't know, and they want to much, IMO.
    NCIX wants $174.
    Direction was the cheapest @ $139 but like I sais I don't know them.

    Please don't thik me a fool but with all the PlextorDVD burner, .a Sony
    floppy drive, another CD player, an Albarton GeForce 7800 PCI Express
    graphics card, and a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, and a new Viewsonic
    VP191B 19" monitor, and darned XP PRO OS, I am into this build for at least
    $8,000.
    I'm almost 60, and this will be my last build.

    Any futher thoughts or suggestions would sure be appreciated.
    TIA
    --=Fastman=--

    =?Utf-8?B?RmFzdG1hbg==?=, Dec 8, 2005
  7. As long as you have a driver diskette or won't need to provide drivers
    during installation, I don't think it particularly matters what kind of
    drive you use. I see nothing wrong with ultra ATA.

    Windows will set up the dual boot scenario for you without any intervention
    on your part and when done you will have a boot option screen to choose
    between the two operating systems.

    All you do is boot into the x64 cd and make sure you are using the partition
    on the new drive. It is just a straightforward installation of yet another
    edition of Windows. Just be careful not to install into the same "folder"
    as XP x86.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 8, 2005
  8. I am 63 and doubt this will be your last build any more than my dual core
    AMD64 4400+ will be mine.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 8, 2005
  9. Colin-
    For reasons I won't go into, unless the doctors are wrong, yes, this will be
    my last build.
    I wanted to build a state of the art box that I can use to do some new
    things, as I am retiring from my business in a short while, and my computers
    are my only real joys in life.

    So removed 2 GB of RAM, but te computer still shows 2.75 GB of RAM, so I
    will remove another stick, leaving me with 3 GB, and the system will still
    show 2.75.
    I am advised that upgrading to XP 64 bit, unless I want to use this box as a
    server, is pointless.
    I won't be setting up any severs, so I suppose they are right. They say
    that all I will ever need is 2 GB of RAM.

    I tried adding a 1 GB of the RAM to my Asus mobo, and it only boots up
    faster. Sandra tells me that I need to flash the bios, but hey, even then,
    it won't accept anymore RAM.

    So I have a (4) 1 GB sticks of Corair registered RAM left over, no big deal.
    Maybe I can return them to egg...maybe not.
    I guess I could e-Bay them, but that's too much work and RAM isn't a big
    sell on e-Bay.

    I do happen to have another brand new mobo....and maybe I can build a simple
    computer and give it to a needy kid.

    Or? Heck, I don't know....anybody here need any RAM? Cheap? Hahahaha!

    In any event, I gave it my best shot. Guess I just lost my head when the
    Tyan mobo said it supported up to 16 GB's of RAM.
    In any event, thanks for all you kind help.
    --=Fastman=--

    =?Utf-8?B?RmFzdG1hbg==?=, Dec 9, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgSGlnaGFt?=

    warpsix Guest

    Fastman wrote:
> [...]
    >>>
    >>>The egg is where I buy most of my components, but I'll check out the other
    >>>links you so kindly provided.
    >>>
    >>>So far it's egg for 142.95. I know them well, and they are fast &
    >>>reliable.
    >>>The others I don't know, and they want to much, IMO.
    >>>NCIX wants $174.
    >>>Direction was the cheapest @ $139 but like I sais I don't know them.
    >>>
    >>>Please don't thik me a fool but with all the PlextorDVD burner, .a Sony
    >>>floppy drive, another CD player, an Albarton GeForce 7800 PCI Express
    >>>graphics card, and a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, and a new
    >>>Viewsonic
    >>>VP191B 19" monitor, and darned XP PRO OS, I am into this build for at
    >>>least
    >>>$8,000.
    >>>I'm almost 60, and this will be my last build.
    >>>
    >>>Any futher thoughts or suggestions would sure be appreciated.

    if your playing santa this year put me down for 1 or 2 of those sticks
    of ram :) and by the way i hope your doctors are wrong, mine were not.
    warpsix, Dec 9, 2005
  11. Warpsix,
    Stupid I am, Santa Clause I ain't.<s>
    --=Fastman=--