Re: Column: Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?dW5uZWZlcg==?=, May 25, 2005.

  1. i just want to be sure i understand. x64 will still run on my 32-bit
    processor until i by my new computer in 3 months.

    =?Utf-8?B?dW5uZWZlcg==?=, May 25, 2005

  2. No. x64 Edition will NOT run on your 32-bit processor. It will only run on
    "x64" processors. These are AMD processors with amd64 technology and from
    Intel with EM64T technology.
    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 26, 2005

  3. will x64 work on an Intel p4 HT 2.8GHz processor? has the same bus speed as
    the AMD x64 but i wasnt sure if it was the same concept.

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJ5YW4=?=, Aug 9, 2005
  4. Not unless it supports the EM64T extension.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Aug 9, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?dW5uZWZlcg==?=

    DKI Guest

    Its not the same concept

    If Your P4 has this spefic feature EMT64 then yes you can install XP X64. If
    it does not have EMT64 then no since EMT64 is required on the P4 to install
    X64.

    Hyper Threading only allows your CPU to multithead and the AMD x64 uses
    Hyper Trasnport which is a Faster Bus that allows communication between
    devices like the CPU and Memory to be quicker and reduce bottleneck.

    There are threads that go futher into detial about the CPUs and also the
    hypertransport and hyperthreading but since i delete alot of messages in
    outlook news reader i can't find them for you.

    DKI, Aug 9, 2005
  6. I'd need to know the specific series of that Intel CPU, since they don't make
    it any easier than they have to. However, I'd bet the answer is no, since I
    don't think any of the CPUs that support EM64T are less than 3GHz. But the
    concept is not at all the same -- it really has nothing to do with buss
    speed, or hyperthreading, but has to do with whether the chip is 64-bit.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 10, 2005
  7. Hi unfer,

    No way!!!!

    Windows X64 will not run on 32 bit processor.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGlqdSBUaG9tYXM=?=, Dec 9, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?dW5uZWZlcg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    And if you could install it, you would have to buy another copy for the new
    computer, since it is OEM

    John Barnes, Dec 9, 2005