Re: Colour recovery [Was: Regex and more! [Was: Crossword puzzle]]

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up., Nov 11, 2009.

  1. On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 02:50:01 +1000, Bob Larter <>
    wrote:

    >Phred wrote:
    >> [CLBM dropped from followups; aus.computers added]
    >>
    >> In article <4afa711a$>, Bob Larter
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> <>,

    >>> The process relies on residual chroma information retained on
    >>> cine-recorded colour TV programs, so it's of no use for film.
    >>>
    >>> Personally, I recover faded photos by scanning them (with as many bits
    >>> per colour channel as possible), then re-levelling R,G & B in Photoshop
    >>> (16 bit mode). It gives you a pretty good result, & with some tweaking,
    >>> an excellent result - even on badly faded colour prints dating back to
    >>> the 70's.

    >> Thanks for that advice Bob.

    >My pleasure.
    >
    >> Have you tried that approach with slides?

    >No, I haven't. I've never shot slides on a regular basis.
    >
    >> I guess it should work the same, but a problem could be scanning
    >> slides with sufficient resolution without going to an expensive
    >> dedicated slide scanner. (Do those still exist?

    >They sure do. Now would be a good time to pick up a used one cheap,
    >while all the pro's are converting to DSLRs.
    >I haven't shot slide film much myself, but I'm told that Nikon make a
    >good slide scanner. I'm sure that other people in the group will be able
    >to make good suggestions as to what's available now.
    >[rec.photo.digital added]

    Bob Larter's legal name: Lionel Lauer
    Home news-group, an actual group in the "troll-tracker" hierarchy:
    alt.kook.lionel-lauer (established on, or before, 2004)
    Registered Description: "the 'owner of several troll domains' needs a group where he'll stay on topic."

    <http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&num=10&as_ugroup=alt.kook.lionel-lauer>

    "Results 1 - 10 of about 2,170 for group:alt.kook.lionel-lauer."
    Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up., Nov 11, 2009

  2. On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 02:56:11 +1000, Bob Larter <>
    wrote:

    >Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up. wrote:
    >> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 02:50:01 +1000, Bob Larter <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> My pleasure.

    >>> No, I haven't. I've never shot slides on a regular basis.

    >>> They sure do. Now would be a good time to pick up a used one cheap,
    >>> while all the pro's are converting to DSLRs.
    >>> I haven't shot slide film much myself, but I'm told that Nikon make a
    >>> good slide scanner. I'm sure that other people in the group will be able
    >>> to make good suggestions as to what's available now.
    >>> [rec.photo.digital added]

    >> Bob Larter's legal name: Lionel Lauer
    >> Home news-group, an actual group in the "troll-tracker" hierarchy:
    >> alt.kook.lionel-lauer (established on, or before, 2004)
    >> Registered Description: "the 'owner of several troll domains' needs a group where he'll stay on topic."
    >>
    >> <http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&num=10&as_ugroup=alt.kook.lionel-lauer>
    >>
    >> "Results 1 - 10 of about 2,170 for group:alt.kook.lionel-lauer."

    >Don't mind the troll, Phred, he always follows up my posts with this
    >rubbish. ;^)

    It would only be rubbish if it weren't true.

    Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up., Nov 11, 2009

  3. Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up.

    Bob Larter Guest

    Bob Larter, Nov 11, 2009
  4. Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up.

    Bob Larter Guest

    Bob Larter, Nov 11, 2009
  5. Bob Larter is Lionel Lauer - Look it up.

    Bob Larter Guest

    *belch*

    Bob Larter, Nov 11, 2009