Re: Color ink out. Replace color ink cartridge. Press Enter to continue.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Williams, Dec 28, 2004.

  1. On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 16:07:18 -0800, Bob Headrick wrote:

    > "Orak Listalavostok" <> wrote in message
    >>A few months ago, I purchased three HP 14 c5010a tri-color ink
    >> cartridges and three black c5011a ink cartridges and placed them all in
    >> service in an HP d145 officejet all-in-one printer on the same day
    >> (rotating them in sequence).

    > [snip]
    >> What is going on?
    >> Can anyone explain this madness?

    > I cannot explain it. Why would *anyone* open six new cartridges and put them
    > in a printer, only to immediately take four of them out and put them in a
    > plastic bag for months? Regardless of the other issues it seems this is a bad
    > idea as the cartridges will start to dry out.
    >
    > - Bob Headrick

    Bob,
    Regarding your seemingly valid question:
    Q: Why would anyone open four new cartridges and put them in an HP printer
    only to immediately take three of them out and put them in a plastic bag
    for months?

    I did it too. Unfortunately.
    Why would I do a crazy thing like that?
    I was actually following you (I think someone suggested it was your
    original) instructions.
    I will bet a lot of people who read usenet have followed suit.

    I just ran a quick google groups search but I couldn't find your original
    suggestion that cycling the HP ink cartridges reset the expiration date,
    but only after three (or was it two) had been cycled (due to HP memory).

    I just looked again on google groups (http://groups.google.com) and did a
    search. I didn't find the one where you suggested it (I think) but I did
    find this thread below which tells us to do this.

    Unfortunatly, it didn't work for me on my d135.
    I wonder if I should now use up all that ink somehow before it goes bad?

    Anyway, here is at least one article which tells us to cycle HP cartridges!

    Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,rec.photo.digital,
    misc.consumers.frugal-living,comp.periphs
    From: (Toni Tagalario)
    Date: 11 Jul 2004 11:05:08 -0700
    Subject: Re: HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire.
    Printing will stop.

    > > Does anyone know if setting the printer date to the past will solve the
    > > users' problem? Is it easy or hard to set the printer date back a year?

    Two approaches will easily defeat almost any HP ink expiry date.
    1) Cycle 3 HP c501x ink cartridges (even epired cartridges work well).
    2) Remove the CMOS battery from the MPU board; short; reinstall.

    The first method entails momentarily replacing the existing expiring
    HP c5010 & c5011 officejet d145 ink cartridges with an existing ink
    cartridge (this second HP ink cartridge can be expired or not); then
    cycling the power on the Hewlett Packard Office Jet d145 all-in-one
    printer. Repeat with a third HP c5011 & c5010 ink cartridge (expired
    or not). Replace the original after the obligatory cycling of the
    power on the HP OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer.

    That stuff about print heads being destroyed by running out of ink is
    pure unadulterated HP FUD (hey, he filled the ink - it never ran the
    ink dry so dry print heads is not of concern in this excellent ng
    thread).

    The second method entals repairing the HP Office Jet d145 printer by
    removing the restriction on date altogether. Simply disconnect the MPU
    board CMOS battery (just remove it from the clips momentarily); short
    the terminals of the MPU board battery connector (with the 120v power
    off, of course); then re-connect.

    The HP OfficeJet d145 boot-up sequence (which normally occurs only at
    the factory) will go through a series of questions such as:
    - What is the current date & time?
    (change it by a year or two but not three!)
    - How many sheets of paper for the B&W ink low-ink message?
    - How many sheets of paper for the color ink low-ink message?

    This proves HP is counting paper sheets - not ink drops or ink
    levels!.

    These methods have worked for thousands of successful HP printer
    homeowners to eliminate the Hewlett Packard illegal restriction on
    refilling HP printer ink cartridges. They will work for you too!
    Bill Williams, Dec 28, 2004

  2. (After snipping much)

    >I just ran a quick google groups search but I couldn't find your original
    >suggestion that cycling the HP ink cartridges reset the expiration date,
    >but only after three (or was it two) had been cycled (due to HP memory).

    My input probably does not apply, except for the sentence above. I
    used an HP PhotoSmart P-1000 printer for a couple of years, and my
    comments refer to its cartridges specifically. They the HP 45 and the
    HP 78, neither of which have a date chip, as far as I know. However
    when you run either one dry, and refill it, there is stored in memory
    somewhere that cartridge identification number. So, even though
    refilled it will keep on refusing to work. One solution suggested
    back then was to have on hand at least 2 other cartridges of the same
    type, and cycle them through. This was adequate to blow the stored
    memory and the refilled cartridge would now work. There was another
    alternative method involving taping over specific contacts, but I no
    longer remember that procedure. It did work, but cycling thru the 3
    cartridges was much easier.

    Incidentally, I had so many crappy pictures out of that printer, even
    with brand new cartridges - I swore off all HP printers forever. That
    P-1000 printer and several cartridges and bottles of ink are still in
    my junk collection, should just take to the dump, I guess.

    Olin McDaniel
    Olin K. McDaniel, Dec 29, 2004

  3. Bill Williams

    Bob Headrick Guest

    "Bill Williams" <> wrote in message

    > I did it too. Unfortunately.
    > Why would I do a crazy thing like that?
    > I was actually following you (I think someone suggested it was your
    > original) instructions.
    > I will bet a lot of people who read usenet have followed suit.

    It was not my suggestion. I may have commented at times on other folks posting
    of this method. The method described works integrated printehad systems (all
    the DeskJet's and Photosmarts with ink level sensing), but it is not really
    necessary in those cases as those printers do not stop printing due to a low on
    ink signal. Anyone that claims that they had to do this to allow the printer
    to think it had ink so it would allow printing was mistaken.

    > I just ran a quick google groups search but I couldn't find your original
    > suggestion that cycling the HP ink cartridges reset the expiration date,
    > but only after three (or was it two) had been cycled (due to HP memory

    > I just looked again on google groups (http://groups.google.com) and did a
    > search. I didn't find the one where you suggested it (I think) but I did
    > find this thread below which tells us to do this.
    >
    > Unfortunatly, it didn't work for me on my d135.
    > I wonder if I should now use up all that ink somehow before it goes bad?
    >
    > Anyway, here is at least one article which tells us to cycle HP cartridges!

    The following contains a great deal of misinformation, starting with the
    suggestion to rotate the three cartridges in the D series. The discussion that
    "running the printheads dry is just FUD" is also total BS, as is the suggestion
    that the D series does its low on ink calculations based on counting pages
    rather than counting drops. Unfortunately it can be difficult on Usenet to
    tell truth from fiction as both can be presented convincingly.

    I hope that you contacted HP and they resolved your issue with the incorrectly
    identified cartridges.

    Regards,

    Bob Headrick, Dec 30, 2004
  4. Bill Williams

    Bob Headrick Guest

    "Olin K. McDaniel" <> wrote in message

    > My input probably does not apply, except for the sentence above. I
    > used an HP PhotoSmart P-1000 printer for a couple of years, and my
    > comments refer to its cartridges specifically. They the HP 45 and the
    > HP 78, neither of which have a date chip, as far as I know. However
    > when you run either one dry, and refill it, there is stored in memory
    > somewhere that cartridge identification number. So, even though
    > refilled it will keep on refusing to work.

    Your comments are true up to the last sentence. The Photosmart P100 (and all
    the DeskJet and Photosmart products with integrated printheads) do not refuse
    to work because a cartridge is empty. The printer would continue to signal
    the cartridge is low on ink, but this in no way would affect printing.

    - Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
    Bob Headrick, Dec 30, 2004
  5. Bill Williams

    Bob Ward Guest

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:04:06 -0800, "Bob Headrick" <>
    wrote:

    >"Olin K. McDaniel" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> My input probably does not apply, except for the sentence above. I
    >> used an HP PhotoSmart P-1000 printer for a couple of years, and my
    >> comments refer to its cartridges specifically. They the HP 45 and the
    >> HP 78, neither of which have a date chip, as far as I know. However
    >> when you run either one dry, and refill it, there is stored in memory
    >> somewhere that cartridge identification number. So, even though
    >> refilled it will keep on refusing to work.

    >Your comments are true up to the last sentence. The Photosmart P100 (and all
    >the DeskJet and Photosmart products with integrated printheads) do not refuse
    >to work because a cartridge is empty. The printer would continue to signal
    >the cartridge is low on ink, but this in no way would affect printing.
    >
    >- Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    On my Photosmart 7760, if you continue to print after the black
    cartridge indicates empty, the printer says it will switch to
    simulating black using the tricolor cartridge.
    Bob Ward, Dec 31, 2004
  6. Bill Williams

    Bob Headrick Guest

    "Bob Ward" <> wrote in message

    > On my Photosmart 7760, if you continue to print after the black
    > cartridge indicates empty, the printer says it will switch to
    > simulating black using the tricolor cartridge.

    No, I think it will suggest that you are low on ink and may want to switch to
    reserve mode. It will not make the switch automatically, actually you will
    have to remove the low on ink cartridge to invoke reserve mode. If you leave
    the low cartridge in the printer you can print until the cartridge is empty and
    beyond.

    Regards,
    Bob Headrick, Dec 31, 2004
  7. Bill Williams

    Marvin Guest

    Bob Headrick wrote:
    > "Olin K. McDaniel" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>My input probably does not apply, except for the sentence above. I
    >>used an HP PhotoSmart P-1000 printer for a couple of years, and my
    >>comments refer to its cartridges specifically. They the HP 45 and the
    >>HP 78, neither of which have a date chip, as far as I know. However
    >>when you run either one dry, and refill it, there is stored in memory
    >>somewhere that cartridge identification number. So, even though
    >>refilled it will keep on refusing to work.

    > Your comments are true up to the last sentence. The Photosmart P100 (and all
    > the DeskJet and Photosmart products with integrated printheads) do not refuse
    > to work because a cartridge is empty. The printer would continue to signal
    > the cartridge is low on ink, but this in no way would affect printing.
    >
    > - Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    My HP DEskjet 930c starts sending messages when it senses that the ink is rnning low, but it keeps on printing, though the
    print quality may eventually degrade. But once the ink is all gone, it will not print.
    Marvin, Dec 31, 2004
  8. Bill Williams

    Bob Headrick Guest

    "Marvin" <> wrote in message

    > My HP DeskJet 930c starts sending messages when it senses that the ink is
    > running low, but it keeps on printing, though the print quality may
    > eventually degrade. But once the ink is all gone, it will not print.

    It will continue to go through the motions of printing, it is just that there
    will be no printing because there is no ink. The printer does not stop trying
    to print just because it thinks the ink is low. The Low On Ink indicator is a
    message for the user only, to alert them that the cartridge is running low and
    a replacement should be on hand.

    Regards,
    Bob Headrick
    Bob Headrick, Dec 31, 2004