Re: cold, damp weather....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Michael, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    kay & wand wrote:

    > have an old propretory edit system (sony proprietory) runs on a
    > pent 200 (yes, it's old but its excellent) - in cold weather (and
    > especially damp) i have system hard drive error, ie., hd failure / no
    > hd. leave it on to warm up and i get it back.
    >
    > other than changing hd, what can i do about it? ie. heat up the room
    > for a couple of hours? blow heater on box?
    >
    > any suggestions most welcome. other than getting a new system! this
    > works brilliantly other than the 'cold start'....
    >
    > leslie

    Been there, done that. I live 15 feet from the edge of the BC rainforest,
    less than 100 feet from the Pacific, and two machines I had previously
    (living almost 400 feet from the water) had exactly this trouble in winter.
    Cold, salt air is not friendly to electronic *or* mechanical equipment.

    2 things:

    1) Make sure the cables (especially the ends thereof) that connect the
    drive to the PSU and to the MB are spotlessly clean... scrub them with
    isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush and let them dry out thoroughly. Ditto
    the sockets they fit into. It probably won't cure the problem, but it
    might. It did on one of mine.

    2) if this doesn't do (or if it's too much work) then yes, keep the machine
    warm or heat the drive up somehow to 25C+ before boot. The blow drier is a
    good thought, as is the idea of keeping one of those little 7-watt
    night-light bulbs running inside the box when the machine itself's not
    running.

    HTH :)

    ((U))

    Michael, Jul 9, 2003