Re: CMOSS battery questions .... fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Frosty, Oct 7, 2006.

  1. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Sat, 07 Oct
    2006 08:32:59 -0400, and Meat Plow <> vomited
    forth this bit of wisdom :

    >On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:17:51 -0700, David_nj_7 Has Frothed:
    >
    >> I have had one of my computers up and running since 1999 with no problems
    >> whatsoever. My clock keeps accurate time etc... The PC is a DELL
    >> Dimension PIII 500Mhz.....
    >>
    >> I remember reading somewhere that you need to replace the CMOSS battery
    >> every 3 to 5 years or else you'll have all kinds of isues. Well, I
    >> haven't replaced mine in the over 7 years I've had mine.
    >>
    >> Is this CMOSS thing just a myth? Or, are some like the Energizer Bunny
    >> and just keep going and going.... lol
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>

    >I'd say you're about due. 7 years is right on the edge of the advertised
    >battery life for one of those 2032's or whatever their putting inside.

    And just for G&G, the first two numbers on those 3volt batteries are
    the width in mm's and the second numbers are the height (mm)

    Frosty, Oct 7, 2006

  2. Frosty

    mdp Guest

    Frosty wrote:
    > I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Sat, 07 Oct
    > 2006 08:32:59 -0400, and Meat Plow <> vomited
    > forth this bit of wisdom :
    >
    >> On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:17:51 -0700, David_nj_7 Has Frothed:
    >>
    >>> I have had one of my computers up and running since 1999 with no
    >>> problems whatsoever. My clock keeps accurate time etc... The PC
    >>> is a DELL Dimension PIII 500Mhz.....
    >>>
    >>> I remember reading somewhere that you need to replace the CMOSS
    >>> battery every 3 to 5 years or else you'll have all kinds of isues.
    >>> Well, I haven't replaced mine in the over 7 years I've had mine.
    >>>
    >>> Is this CMOSS thing just a myth? Or, are some like the Energizer
    >>> Bunny and just keep going and going.... lol
    >>>

    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> I'd say you're about due. 7 years is right on the edge of the
    >> advertised battery life for one of those 2032's or whatever their
    >> putting inside.

    > And just for G&G, the first two numbers on those 3volt batteries are
    > the width in mm's and the second numbers are the height (mm)

    Height is the 2nd two numbers in mm/10.

    mdp, Oct 8, 2006