Re: CMOS Checksum Error

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pcbutts1, Jul 21, 2005.

  1. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    JTJersey, <>, whose name means "hopeless; has
    urges to snoop in the medicine cabinet at someone's house while visiting;
    has problems with leaving jailbait alone", slobbered:

    > I've got one here that no matter what I do it keeps giving me a CMOS
    > Checksum Error message at boot up.

    I've arrived.

    > This requires that I either boot to the BIOS and "save & exit" or
    > "select system defaults" which resets the clock to January 1980 and looses
    > the CDROM and sometimes the Hard Drive.

    Format and reinstall.

    > It's a 6 year old Gateway Celeron 466 that a friend bought for $100
    > (groan) with Win98SE on it, a slow Maxtor hard drive and 128MB of PC100
    > SDRAM.

    Nobody around here knows anything about computers. Listen to me and you'll
    learn something.

    > I replaced the CMOS battery and at least got the date to stick.

    You get over being in a panic by being in one.

    > Next tried removing the only add-on card (a PCI ethernet card) and the
    > CDROM but with no luck.

    Format and reinstall.

    > Then I got Gateway's last BIOS update for this motherboard and flashed
    > the BIOS, but I still get that CMOS Checksum error messge.

    Format and reinstall.

    > I've run numerous AntiVirus and Spyware programs and it comes up clean.

    I've got something for you. [Revealing the finger]

    > I'm thinking the motherboard is going south?

    I know nothing about computers.

    > Any other avenues of experimentation would be most appreciated.

    Could you tell in any way?

    pcbutts1, Jul 21, 2005