Re: Closure of complimentary Xtra Usenet newsgroup service

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by bambam, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. bambam

    bambam Guest

    On 27 Apr 2006, you wrote in nz.comp:

    > For some time Xtra has hosted a complimentary Usenet server.

    Ahh, so it's not part of the services that we pay for each month, it is
    only a complimentary service?

    > However, the number of people using this service has steadily declined
    > and there are now only a few hundred regular users.

    Only a few hundred! I hope they all tell you to shove your service right up
    your complimentry arse.

    > Because of this decline in popularity, we have decided that, from May
    > 3, we will no longer provide the newsgroup service.

    That's cutting it a bit fine, 5 days notice!

    > If you'd like to continue using newsgroups, there are other services
    > available such as gignews.com, or free services such as MSN Forums and
    > Google Groups.

    There are better options than Google Groups in the free services arena.

    > We like to apologise to the small number of regular users who will be
    > affected by this change.

    I have a special x-face in my post, just for you.

    > Kind regards
    >
    > The Team @ Xtra

    I have recently completed my 12 month contract with xtra.
    Any recommendations for an ISP in the $50 per month range, preferably with
    a news server.
    bambam, Apr 27, 2006

  2. bambam

    Peter Nield Guest

    "bambam" <> wrote in message
    > On 27 Apr 2006, you wrote in nz.comp:

    > I have recently completed my 12 month contract with xtra.
    > Any recommendations for an ISP in the $50 per month range, preferably with
    > a news server.

    Ihug have NTNP news services.
    Peter Nield, Apr 27, 2006

  3. bambam

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Apr 28, 2006
  4. bambam

    bambam Guest

    "Peter Nield" <> wrote in

    > "bambam" <> wrote in message
    >> On 27 Apr 2006, you wrote in nz.comp:

    >> I have recently completed my 12 month contract with xtra.
    >> Any recommendations for an ISP in the $50 per month range, preferably
    >> with a news server.

    > Ihug have NTNP news services.

    Thanks Peter, I have heard good things about IHug in here recently.
    bambam, Apr 28, 2006
  5. bambam

    bambam Guest

    Tony <> wrote in

    >> I have recently completed my 12 month contract with xtra.
    >> Any recommendations for an ISP in the $50 per month range, preferably
    >> with a news server.

    > http://www.xnet.co.nz/internet/broadband.shtml

    Thanks Tony, looks good, and there is no connection fee if signed up before
    21st of May.
    bambam, Apr 28, 2006

  6. >> I have recently completed my 12 month contract with xtra.
    >> Any recommendations for an ISP in the $50 per month range, preferably with
    >> a news server.

    >Ihug have NTNP news services.

    // paste of email to

    Please inform your immediate superior that the announced discontinuation of
    the the Usenet News Group access will lose you another customer.

    That Xtra hosts the News Groups is the ONLY reason I remain a subscriber.

    Xtra has lost my Business account to Ihug .... including hosting of
    website, all broadband and dial up accounts, both company and staff.

    And now, having just sold this near 40 year old business, I was considering
    beginning another. That Xtra would host my new website is distinctly
    unlikely.

    Please also forward copy of my wrath to:

    Fiona
    Service Co-ordinator
    Xtra Online Team
    Telecom New Zealand Ltd
    Xtra Helpdesk 0800 22 55 98

    Paul MacDiarmid
    Paul MacDiarmid, Apr 28, 2006
  7. bambam

    thingy Guest

    Paul MacDiarmid wrote:
    >>>I have recently completed my 12 month contract with xtra.
    >>>Any recommendations for an ISP in the $50 per month range, preferably with
    >>>a news server.

    >>Ihug have NTNP news services.
    >>

    > // paste of email to
    >
    > Please inform your immediate superior that the announced discontinuation of
    > the the Usenet News Group access will lose you another customer.
    >
    > That Xtra hosts the News Groups is the ONLY reason I remain a subscriber.
    >
    > Xtra has lost my Business account to Ihug .... including hosting of
    > website, all broadband and dial up accounts, both company and staff.
    >
    > And now, having just sold this near 40 year old business, I was considering
    > beginning another. That Xtra would host my new website is distinctly
    > unlikely.
    >
    > Please also forward copy of my wrath to:
    >
    > Fiona
    > Service Co-ordinator
    > Xtra Online Team
    > Telecom New Zealand Ltd
    > Xtra Helpdesk 0800 22 55 98
    >

    > Paul MacDiarmid

    Good for you...

    Most ISPs these days seem to operate strictly on a profit and loss
    account, ie unlike old Paradise run by and for Techies, now its
    accountants, so if it is little used, shut it down...who cares if we
    lose a few customers we have a net gain....one day of course there wont
    be any customers to have a net gain from.....well accept the AOL level
    of user who thinks the world stops and starts at xtra's home page and
    MSN.....dumbing down or what....

    It is things like this that make me really want an open playing field in
    the local loop. If xtra/clear wont supply it, local communities could,
    just like local radio and tv stations in the USA....ie the few hundred
    users could have paid $1~2 a month for a feed to get them what they want....

    oh except for the AOL users with their canned content they have to pay
    for per click......

    ;]

    regards

    Thing