Re: Clevo Model 665 Notebook

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John \O\, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. John \O\

    John \O\ Guest

    "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "John "O"" <> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone advise as to why I receive all the following errors on my

    Clevo
    > > Notebook Model 665 when I boot up and of course any info in how to how

    > > fix them.
    > >
    > > ERROR
    > > 0271: Check Date and time settings
    > > WARNING:
    > > 0251: System CMOS checksum bad - default configuration bad
    > > ERROR:
    > > 0280: Previous boot incomplete - default configuration used

    > Errors 0271 and 0251 are caused because there's a little battery
    > inside that keeps the CMOS up to date while no power is applied - and it's
    > gone flat on you.
    >
    > So, the clock quits, and the system settings go bad.
    >
    > I'd bet the 0280 is also caused by that.
    >
    > To fix? Replace the CMOS battery (not the big one it runs on away
    > from AC!) and re-run the setup program (be it boot off of floppy, or press

    > key such as DEL, F2, F1, ESC, or whatever the screen / owner's manual says
    > to press).
    >
    > Oh - exactly, for that model? Can't help, never heard of it

    before.
    > I just recognize those errors.
    >
    > RwP

    Thanks for your reply but there is a separate ERROR code when the BIOS
    battery is low or needs replacing otherwise I would have thought that
    too....Just another thing I thought I should add was that if I reset the
    BIOS settings and boot its ok, if I then shut down for about an hour and
    boot up, its still ok..but anything like several hours that's when the ERROR
    messages all pop up again and I have to reset the time and other
    preferences.....In a way I suspect the battery too but can't understand why
    the ERROR code for that doesn't show.

    JJ

    John \O\, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Howdy!

    "John "O"" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for your reply but there is a separate ERROR code when the BIOS
    > battery is low or needs replacing otherwise I would have thought that
    > too....Just another thing I thought I should add was that if I reset the
    > BIOS settings and boot its ok, if I then shut down for about an hour and
    > boot up, its still ok..but anything like several hours that's when the

    ERROR
    > messages all pop up again and I have to reset the time and other
    > preferences.....In a way I suspect the battery too but can't understand

    why
    > the ERROR code for that doesn't show.

    Then the CMOS RTC (which includes the CMOS setup RAM) is dying.

    I'd try that battery first ... be a lot cheaper than tossing the
    laptop.

    Besides, it could easily be that the voltage is high enough to NOT
    trip the low-volt detector, but LOW enough that it's failing.

    And - how long since the last battery was replaced?

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 8, 2003

  3. John \O\

    > Howdy!
    >
    > "John "O"" <> wrote in message
    >

    > > Thanks for your reply but there is a separate ERROR code when the BIOS
    > > battery is low or needs replacing otherwise I would have thought that
    > > too....Just another thing I thought I should add was that if I reset the
    > > BIOS settings and boot its ok, if I then shut down for about an hour and
    > > boot up, its still ok..but anything like several hours that's when the

    > ERROR
    > > messages all pop up again and I have to reset the time and other
    > > preferences.....In a way I suspect the battery too but can't understand

    > why
    > > the ERROR code for that doesn't show.

    > Then the CMOS RTC (which includes the CMOS setup RAM) is dying.
    >
    > I'd try that battery first ... be a lot cheaper than tossing the
    > laptop.
    >
    > Besides, it could easily be that the voltage is high enough to NOT
    > trip the low-volt detector, but LOW enough that it's failing.
    >
    > And - how long since the last battery was replaced?
    >
    > RwP

    I purchased this only May of last year but from their website I can see
    they're a 1999-2000 model so I guess the battery could need replacing,
    However from what I can see it looks as though this one is soldered into the
    main MB.

    Johnny

    John \O\, Aug 8, 2003