Re: Cleaning a damaged drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by B.Al.Zeebub, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. B.Al.Zeebub

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    http://www.killdisk.com/eraser.htm

    B.Al.Zeebub, Oct 27, 2003

  2. B.Al.Zeebub

    Slamadatan Guest

    "B.Al.Zeebub" <> wrote in message
    > Slamadatan wrote:
    >

    > > Can anyone recommend an erase or format utility that will ensure my

    damaged
    > > drive isn't readable by some bored harddrive tech after I return it to

    the
    > > manufacturers?
    > >

    > http://www.killdisk.com/eraser.htm

    Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the free version and made a bootable
    floppy, but even though it could see the drive, it could not write to it.
    Are most other similar products likely to have the same problem?

    Slamadatan, Oct 27, 2003

  3. B.Al.Zeebub

    Rod Speed Guest

    Slamadatan <> wrote in message
    > B.Al.Zeebub <> wrote
    >> Slamadatan wrote:

    >>> Can anyone recommend an erase or format utility that
    >>> will ensure my damaged drive isn't readable by some
    >>> bored harddrive tech after I return it to the manufacturers?

    >> http://www.killdisk.com/eraser.htm

    > Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the free version
    > and made a bootable floppy, but even though it could see
    > the drive, it could not write to it. Are most other similar
    > products likely to have the same problem?

    Yep.

    Rod Speed, Oct 27, 2003
  4. B.Al.Zeebub

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Slamadatan <> wrote:
    > "B.Al.Zeebub" <> wrote in message
    >> Slamadatan wrote:
    >>

    >> > Can anyone recommend an erase or format utility that will ensure my

    > damaged
    >> > drive isn't readable by some bored harddrive tech after I return it to

    > the
    >> > manufacturers?
    >> >

    >> http://www.killdisk.com/eraser.htm

    > Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the free version and made a bootable
    > floppy, but even though it could see the drive, it could not write to it.
    > Are most other similar products likely to have the same problem?

    Very likely. It looks like the disk hardware cannot read anymore
    and consequentially cannot write (it needs to read in order to
    position). No software can overcome this type of problem.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Oct 30, 2003
  5. On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:47:00 +0000, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :

    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Slamadatan <> wrote:
    >> "B.Al.Zeebub" <> wrote in message

    >> damaged

    >> the
    >>> >

    >>> http://www.killdisk.com/eraser.htm

    >> Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the free version and made a bootable
    >> floppy, but even though it could see the drive, it could not write to it.
    >> Are most other similar products likely to have the same problem?

    > Very likely. It looks like the disk hardware cannot read anymore
    > and consequentially cannot write (it needs to read in order to
    > position). No software can overcome this type of problem.
    >
    > Arno

    Ok if your really paranoid about your stuff being read, and potentially
    giggled at by bored techies, contact yor local TV tech and ask them to run
    a degausser over the drive. Follow the link and scroll down to: '3.4.
    Purging Magnetic Data Storage Media by Degaussing.' for further
    information.

    http://tinyurl.com/szaz

    Impressive link, eh?
    B.

    B. Al. Zeebub, Oct 30, 2003
  6. B.Al.Zeebub

    Rod Speed Guest

    "B. Al. Zeebub" <> wrote in message news:RX5ob.171119$...
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:47:00 +0000, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :
    >
    > > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Slamadatan <> wrote:
    > >> "B.Al.Zeebub" <> wrote in message

    > >> damaged
    > >> the

    > >> Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the free version and made a bootable
    > >> floppy, but even though it could see the drive, it could not write to it.
    > >> Are most other similar products likely to have the same problem?

    > > Very likely. It looks like the disk hardware cannot read anymore
    > > and consequentially cannot write (it needs to read in order to
    > > position). No software can overcome this type of problem.

    > Ok if your really paranoid about your stuff being read, and
    > potentially giggled at by bored techies, contact yor local
    > TV tech and ask them to run a degausser over the drive.

    Wont necessarily prevent access to the data on the drive.
    It may not even necessarily have any effect at all with
    modern drives with TV degaussers and modern drives.

    The degaussers its talking about are nothing like TV degaussers.

    > Follow the link and scroll down to: '3.4. Purging Magnetic
    > Data Storage Media by Degaussing.' for further information.

    > http://tinyurl.com/szaz

    > Impressive link, eh?

    Nope, gets the basics wrong too often. And
    thats hardly surprising given the 1993 date.

    Rod Speed, Oct 30, 2003