Re: Cisco WLC (AIR-WLC2006-K9) Serial Cable

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bod43, Feb 10, 2010.

  1. bod43

    bod43 Guest

    On 10 Feb, 03:48, Hamzah Khan <>
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 16:03:56 -0600, Hamzah Khan wrote:
    > > I've been trying to get access to the CLI on a AIR-WLC2006-K9 WLC I
    > > bought a few weeks ago as part of a lab kit, but have been very
    > > unsuccessful.

    > > I've tried a straight-through serial cable, a null modem serial cable,
    > > and two DB-9 to RJ45 serial cables (the type used with most Cisco
    > > equipment) with an RJ45 coupler between them, but none of them seem to
    > > work (no output on my terminal emulator).

    > > I've checked my terminal emulator (minicom) settings multiple times
    > > (9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity and no flow control), and
    > > I'm sure they are correct anyway since these settings are the same for
    > > all other Cisco routers, and it works fine on my 1841 and other routers..
    > > I'm just having issues with this WLC. :(

    > > Is there a special type of cable I need to use for this WLC?

    > > Any clarification truly appreciated!

    > > Regards

    > > Hamzah

    > Using a multimeter I just discovered that my null modem serial cable
    > isn't wired for handshaking (only ground and RX/TX are wired (crossed
    > over)). Could this be the problem?

    Docs say you need a null modem cable, so possibly. Most likely to
    affect PC end. Cisco say they don't use hardware handshaking.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...s6308/product_data_sheet0900aecd805aaad6.html
    • Console port: RS-232 (DB-9 male, DTE interface)
    Cisco 2006 Wireless LAN Controllers

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn422070..html
    DB-9-to-DB-9 null modem cable

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080665cdf.shtml

    * 9600 baud
    * 8 data bits
    * 1 stop bit
    * No parity
    * No hardware flow control

    The default username is admin, and the default password is admin.

    Loads more here.

    You should be able to find a recipie for a null modem cable
    on t'interwebby without any trouble.
    bod43, Feb 10, 2010

  2. bod43

    bod43 Guest

    On 10 Feb, 15:06, bod43 <> wrote:

    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn...
    > DB-9-to-DB-9 null modem cable

    You can assemble such a cable from cisco console
    cable components if you have-

    "RJ-45 to DB-9 Female" - cable (usually blue
    and marked "Terminal" and ships with most cisco
    switches and routers today)
    "RJ-45-to-DB-9 Adapter" shipped with routers a while back

    Has always worked for me.

    Same thing can be made from

    2 x "RJ-45-to-DB-9 Adapter" - usually marked "Terminal"
    1 x "Rolled Cable"- cisco ones usually blue but have
    seen some black (old ones were black)

    Same thing can be made from

    2 x "RJ-45 to DB-9 Female" - cable
    1 x "Rolled Cable"
    2 x RJ45 coupler - as you call them.

    By the way you can also assemble straight through
    RS-232 cables as follows

    2 x "RJ-45-to-DB-9 Adapter" - usually marked "Terminal"
    1 x "Straight-through Cable" - normal Ethernet patch lead
    is fine

    2 x "RJ-45 to DB-9 Female" - cable
    1 x RJ45 coupler - as you call them.

    Above works with DB-25 too.

    See
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps332/products_tech_note09186a0080094ce6.shtml#topic4

    If you want you can swap
    Rolled cable + "terminal" headshell adaptor
    for
    Straight Cable + "modem" headshell adaptor
    modem headshell only available in DB-25
    but of course you must be able to make one.

    You can test your null modem cable and PC by
    connecting 2 x PCs with it and by running terminal emulator
    on both, typing should be copied across the cable.

    I used to have a kit of this plus some gender benders and
    9-25 adaptors. Never beaten on any RS-232 device that
    I encountered that used the standard pinout on DB-9
    or DB-25, male or female.
    bod43, Feb 10, 2010