Re: Cisco multicast filtering, adding VLAN tag

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by v8rulezmore, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. v8rulezmore

    v8rulezmore Guest

    Hi!

    I want to do the following.

    I have a Tandberg ASI->Ethernet (IP multicast) encoder.

    The Tandberg encoder recieves different TV-programs from
    satelite-dish, each TV-program has it own Video/Audio PID's.
    Each TV program with it's Video/Audio PID's is encoded to it's own I
    multicast streams.

    The Tandberg encoder can unfortunally NOT put a 802.1q VLAN tag to eac
    multicast stream so I need a L3-switch to do the job.

    I want the Cisco to recieve all these IP-multicast streams and filte
    the IP-multicast streams to different VLAN's and tag the packets s
    additional VLAN filtering is possible further down the network (thi
    VLAN filtering is NOT gonna be made be any Cisco equipment).

    For example:
    From Dish____From Tandberg decoder____From Cisco L3 switch
    TV1__________226.0.0.1:8000___________226.0.0.1:8000 VLAN1
    TV2__________226.0.0.2:8000___________226.0.0.2:8000 VLAN2
    TV3__________226.0.0.3:8000___________226.0.0.3:8000 VLAN3
    TV4__________226.0.0.4:8000___________226.0.0.4:8000 VLAN4
    TV5__________226.0.0.5:8000___________226.0.0.5:8000 VLAN5
    TV6__________226.0.0.6:8000___________226.0.0.6:8000 VLAN6
    TV7__________226.0.0.7:8000___________226.0.0.7:8000 VLAN7
    TV8__________226.0.0.8:8000___________226.0.0.8:8000 VLAN8
    TV9__________226.0.0.9:8000___________226.0.0.9:8000 VLAN9

    The Tandberg has two 100Mbps interfaces for output.
    Each IP-multicast stream is approx 8Mbps.

    The Cisco shall not shape or prioritize any of the streams, it shal
    only forward each IP-multicast stream with constant delay to minimiz
    jitter.

    The network chain:

    [Dish]->-(asi streams)-->[Tandberg IP-multicast encoder]->-(i
    mulitcast streams)-->[Cisco L3 switch]->-(ip mulitcast streams wit
    individual VLAN tags)-->[VLAN filtering Eq.]------------>>>

    So my question is, what Cisco L3 switch do I need and how do
    configure it

    -
    v8rulezmor

    v8rulezmore, Apr 29, 2004

  2. v8rulezmore

    mh Guest

    You might be able to do this with multicast multilayer switching and
    policy based routing. You need to be able to configure sub-interfaces
    on the outgoing interface
    and then inspect the multicast address and using policy based routing
    direct it to the correct sub-interface where hopefully the VLAN tag
    will be applied.

    mh, Apr 29, 2004

  3. v8rulezmore

    Geert Guest

    Interesting Problem....
    Try this:

    - Put the TV encoder in an unimportant VLAN say VLAN99
    - Create the different VLANs on the switch, put a different ip adress on
    the different vlans (ip adress of switch) and enable multicast routing
    - Then STATICALLY join the proper groups in the proper VLANs

    This will forward the proper stream to the proper vlan.

    - Then create a tagged 802.1q trunk link which supports all these vlans
    -> the appropriate packets will be automatically tagged !

    Example:

    Fa0/1 and Fa0/2 are the two 100Mb ports of the encoder

    int Fa0/1
    switchport mode access
    switchport access vlan 99
    speed 100
    duplex full

    int Fa0/2
    switchport mode access
    switchport access vlan 99
    speed 100
    duplex full

    int vlan 99
    ip address <whatever>
    ip pim dense-mode <enable multicast routing>

    int vlan 1
    ip address <whatever>
    ip pim dense-mode
    ip igmp join 226.0.0.1

    int vlan 2
    ip address <whatever>
    ip pim dense-mode
    ip igmp join 226.0.0.2
    int vlan 3
    ip address <whatever>
    ip pim dense-mode
    ip igmp join 226.0.0.3

    int Gi0/0
    switchport mode trunk
    switchport trunk encapsulation 802.1q
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-9

    A L3-enabled Catalyst 3550 should do this perfectly !

    Regards,
    Geert

    Geert, May 1, 2004