  1. tom

    tom Guest

    Reload the ios this should fix your problem you have to find a way to point
    it to a tftp server it should be in the menu somewhere. As you are having
    issues with the menu system if you pull the unit there should be a dip
    switch you can set so make it boot to tftp

    tom, Jun 26, 2003

  2. tom

    Bernie Guest

    Tom:
    thanks for your answer. IOS? dip switch? There don't seem to be any -
    I disassembled the whole thing.

    Since the network configuration menu is screwed up, there must be some
    way to get the bootload, IOS or whatever into that high tech phone
    again???

    It's like a chicken and egg problem - the network parameters cannot be
    changed since the bootload is broken, and the bootload cannot be
    uploaded/refreshed since the network access is down :-(

    Any ideas?

    Thank you
    Bernie

    Bernie, Jun 30, 2003

  3. tom

    Laci OROS Guest

    You might be lucky, if only the display menu is broken, but you have
    to check if the TCP/IP is up and running.
    a) Does the phone get an ip address from the dhcp server ? or it has a
    static IP ?
    b) Can you ping the phone's IP address?
    c) Did you set up a TFTP server, so you can see the requests issued by
    the phone, when the phone is booting it will look for about 4 files on
    the TFTP server.(which files are that?)
    d) You will need a packet sniffer to analyze the phones behaviour on
    the network ...

    I never had any problem with the bootloader.If the boot loader works
    and if the phone has an IP address most likely you will be able to
    load a new firmware (POS).
    Laci.

    Laci OROS, Jun 30, 2003
  4. tom

    Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:18:15 -0700, "tom" <> wrote:

    >Reload the ios this should fix your problem you have to find a way to point
    >it to a tftp server it should be in the menu somewhere. As you are having
    >issues with the menu system if you pull the unit there should be a dip
    >switch you can set so make it boot to tftp

    I think you are very mistaken as to what this conversation is about.
    This isn't a router, but rather a VOIP Phone.

    , Jul 2, 2003
  5. tom

    Bernie Guest

    (Laci OROS) wrote in message news:<>...
    > You might be lucky, if only the display menu is broken, but you have
    > to check if the TCP/IP is up and running.
    > a) Does the phone get an ip address from the dhcp server ? or it has a
    > static IP ?
    > b) Can you ping the phone's IP address?
    > c) Did you set up a TFTP server, so you can see the requests issued by
    > the phone, when the phone is booting it will look for about 4 files on
    > the TFTP server.(which files are that?)
    > d) You will need a packet sniffer to analyze the phones behaviour on
    > the network ...
    >
    > I never had any problem with the bootloader.If the boot loader works
    > and if the phone has an IP address most likely you will be able to
    > load a new firmware (POS).
    > Laci.

    great advice! thanks, Laci

    I installed the packet sniffer 'Ethereal' and it proved that the phone
    still seems to be breathing. It sends out three times CDP/VDP (Cisco
    Discovery Protocol), followed by an ARP request for IP address
    192.162.100.100, getting the correct response (MAC address) from the
    CallManager's PC. After that it tries four times a TFTP Read Request
    for file OS79XX.TXT, followed by some more TFTP requests. What puzzles
    me is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any requests for DHCP by
    the phone (possibly because there was a static IP setting before it
    died). So the sniffer reports 255.255.255.255 (same as the mask) for
    all phone requests.

    I put those files into the tftp root directory:
    OS79XX.TXT (included one line: P00303010102)
    P00303010102.bin
    SEP003094C451C8.cnf
    SEP003094C451C8.cnf.xml

    It didn't work. Is there a chance to bring it back to life?
    Thanks
    Bernie

    Bernie, Jul 2, 2003
  6. tom

    Laci OROS Guest

    > I installed the packet sniffer 'Ethereal' and it proved that the phone
    > still seems to be breathing. It sends out three times CDP/VDP (Cisco
    > Discovery Protocol), followed by an ARP request for IP address
    > 192.162.100.100, getting the correct response (MAC address) from the
    > CallManager's PC. After that it tries four times a TFTP Read Request
    > for file OS79XX.TXT, followed by some more TFTP requests. What puzzles
    > me is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any requests for DHCP by
    > the phone (possibly because there was a static IP setting before it
    > died). So the sniffer reports 255.255.255.255 (same as the mask) for
    > all phone requests.
    >
    > I put those files into the tftp root directory:
    > OS79XX.TXT (included one line: P00303010102)
    > P00303010102.bin
    > SEP003094C451C8.cnf
    > SEP003094C451C8.cnf.xml
    >
    > It didn't work. Is there a chance to bring it back to life?
    > Thanks
    > Bernie

    My advice is to set up a pure TFTP server, you can download a good one
    for Windoz from 3Com for free.Probably 192.162.100.100 is a good try
    for the IP address of the machine with the TFTP server.
    I don't have any experience with the Call Manager.
    The IP phone is looking for a default config file and for a specific
    config file.The phone specific config file should be
    SIPmacaddress.cnf, and you can configure the phone using this file.
    What concerns me is, why did you get request for SEPmacaddress.cnf
    instead of SIP....
    Have you seen failing the TFTP download in the TFTP server log or you
    just assume the failure because nothing good is hapening ?

    Take your time and read this:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...on_guide_chapter09186a0080087511.html#1036324

    Laci.

    Laci OROS, Jul 3, 2003
  7. tom

    annoyed

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I had the same problem when I tried to configure the phone manually.

    Reset to factory defaults. Power phone down and hold # as you power it back up. Then press 123456789*0# when it says reset sequence detected.

    Once you do this, you should configure the phone using config files.

    annoyed, Aug 17, 2007