    the network card.
    I have also tried D-Link cards which seem better.... Of course once hard
    set it takes more maintenance
    David Wood, Jan 24, 2005

  2. In article <ct3s9b$k9s$>,
    David Wood <> wrote:
    :Anyone any ideas why we (the company I work for) get such horrendous
    :problems with auto-negotiation on the Cisco Cat 5000 switch?
    :It seems worse with 3Com PCI but also happens with Intel Pro cards - i.e.
    :the connection is not reliable until hard set both at the switch port and
    :the network card.

    Intel Pro is actually a fairly long line rather than just a particular
    card.

    In my experience, there are bugs in the drivers for at least -some-
    of the Intel Pro that cause the driver to lie to Windows about
    what the active duplex is. Good thing I just happened to have my
    Fluke LanMeter with me that day..

    The further implication is that autonegotiation on some of the Pro
    does not match with what is expected by other systems. The
    incident I personally witnessed had to do with a Nortel Baystack 450
    and a W2K server -- so it isn't just Cat 5000's.
    --
    IMT made the sky
    Fall.
    Walter Roberson, Jan 25, 2005

  3. David Wood

    Hansang Bae Guest

    David Wood wrote:

    > Anyone any ideas why we (the company I work for) get such horrendous
    > problems with auto-negotiation on the Cisco Cat 5000 switch?
    > It seems worse with 3Com PCI but also happens with Intel Pro cards -
    > i.e. the connection is not reliable until hard set both at the
    > switch port and the network card.
    > I have also tried D-Link cards which seem better.... Of course once
    > hard set it takes more maintenance

    Because the AN process for 100Mbps NICs were not fully baked until very
    recently. There were horrible interoperability issues. The 5000s are
    pretty old and would suffer from this as well. For newer equipment, AN
    should be fine. But older NICs/switches required hard coding.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jan 25, 2005