Re: Cisco 3620: wich IOS to choose

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rob, Nov 2, 2010.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Elia S. <> wrote:
    > Hello
    > I am ready to put on production one cisco 3620 (32F/64D) with two NM:

    Do you have any particular reason for putting such an ancient box
    in a production environment?
    Are you on a zero budget?

    When your only use is to route between a network and a vlan trunk I
    would advise getting a low-end L3 routing switch. It will outperform
    the 3620 by a factor of 100.
    Rob, Nov 2, 2010

  2. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Elia S. <> wrote:
    >>When your only use is to route between a network and a vlan trunk I
    >>would advise getting a low-end L3 routing switch. It will outperform
    >>the 3620 by a factor of 100.

    > I dont have a L3 switch here :(
    >
    > maybe an HP 2626

    Yes a HP 2626 would be fine.
    Or if you buy it new, a HP 2610-24 for example.

    There are also cheaper alternatives available e.g. from 3com, but now
    that 3com has been bought by HP it might be that they are merging product
    lines.

    We are using a 3com 4500G which is also offering L3 routing and is less
    expensive than the HP line, but HP is concealing the 3com product line
    from their site so maybe it will not be available much longer...

    Switches like this can be configured with multiple VLANs that are each
    on a different IP subnet, and can IP route between the subnets using
    static routes.

    Often good enough for a situation like you seem to have, and much faster
    than a router of similar pricing, because they operate at network wire
    speed.
    For a 3620 you are looking at a routing performance around 10 megabit/s,
    while the switch will do 1 gigabit/s no sweat.
    Rob, Nov 3, 2010

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Elia S. <> wrote:
    > "Rob" ha scritto nel messaggio news:4all.nl...
    >
    >>Yes a HP 2626 would be fine.
    >>Or if you buy it new, a HP 2610-24 for example.

    > I have an HP2626 here with the latest firmware on it, I will begin
    > configuring it this morning.
    >
    >>Switches like this can be configured with multiple VLANs that are each
    >>on a different IP subnet, and can IP route between the subnets using
    >>static routes.

    > So I have this situation:
    >
    > UPLINK port (to a QoS router where all the VLANS go as a default route)
    > 10.0.0.11/28 (the remote QOS router is 10.0.0.1)
    >
    > VLAN2 172.16.2.254/24
    > VLAN3 172.16.3.254/24
    > VLAN4 172.16.4.254/24
    >
    > If I set a default route on the switch to route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.1
    > I should be ok, since I need that each VLAN goes upwards to the 10.0.0.1 and
    > I am not interested now in inter-vlan routing (I mean if 172.16.2.20 reaches
    > 172.16.3.30, I need a static route?? )

    No you don't need any additional routes for this case.
    The directly accessible interfaces are automatically routed, you need
    routes only for the default gateway and for any networks that are
    reachable via other routers/switches external to the switch.

    > From the QoS router at 10.0.0.1 I have static routes on it as:
    >
    > ip route 172.16.2.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.11 (the switch IP)
    > and so on for each subnet.
    >
    > Will it work?

    Yes that will work.

    You will have a couple of VLAN defs like this:
    vlan 1
    name "UPLINK"
    ip address 10.0.0.11 255.255.255.240
    exit
    vlan 2
    name "VLAN2"
    ip address 172.16.2.254 255.255.255.0
    exit

    then the IP routing like:
    ip routing
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.1

    We have good experiences with the switches routing like that.
    Rob, Nov 3, 2010
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Elia S. <> wrote:
    > Hello Rob
    > I have just tested this conf in my lab:

    > Some questions:
    > it is useful to set ip igmp filtering ? According to the docs, yes. Will it
    > give additional work to the switch?

    We are not using igmp on our network so I did not study this topic...
    It will probably give processor load but if this is a problem I cannot tell.

    > What routing througput should I expect from this switch?
    >
    > The full specs are here:
    >
    > http://h10144.www1.hp.com/products/switches/switch2600series/overview.htm
    >
    > My model is HP-2626 4900A

    I have tested with our 3com 4500G and I could not saturate it with two
    Dell servers with gigabit card. I.e. the transfer rate with the switch
    in between was the same no matter if it was routing or only switching.
    Of course the specs also tell that but it never hurts to try :)

    I think it is the same with the HP. We have those HP 2626 switches only
    with a 100 Mbit trunk inbetween them, and we have no problem to saturate
    the trunk. I did not test those at 1 gigabit.

    They specify 9.6 Gbps routing/switching capacity, so with a few ports
    in use you should not be able to saturate it.

    Basically what these devices do is use a processor route lookup for the
    first packet in a stream and then use the switch hardware to forward
    the remainder of the packets directly without processor intervention.
    I.e. the same as when using it as a switch only, except that it now
    switches on IP addr instead of MAC addr.

    It is WAY faster than what you get with a 3620...
    Rob, Nov 3, 2010