Re: Cisco 3620: wich IOS to choose

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bod43, Nov 2, 2010.

  1. bod43

    bod43 Guest

    On 2 Nov, 17:58, "Elia S." <> wrote:

    > since the router needs to route only, wich IOS is better to be put inside?

    It's not really going to matter what IOS you use
    Cisco routers have been routing packets for a
    long time:)

    If you are internet facing you might want to check
    out any security bugs.

    I suppose you could choose one that was not deferred
    and was currently availabe.

    I would choose the most recent one that was not T or
    any other letters and met the feature requirements.

    My view on memory is that if not using big routing domains
    (lots of routers) with dynamic routing and you have not
    got big routing tables is pretty much "if it will boot it
    will run". It is also (as I see you have) worth turning
    off proxy arp in case you get huge memory eating arp
    cache. Once upon I time we had an internet facing switch
    that crashed every year until we figured it out.

    Obviously you need a bit of spare memory for vty sessions
    and the like.

    If you want specific advice on memory on a particular release
    post the first three lines of the show mem command with the
    release running and details of the recommended memory.

    One thing you don't mention is the throughput you expect
    to see. By modern standards a 3620 will be pretty poor.

    Oh, turning off logging console is good practise
    since that is very CPU intensive.
    bod43, Nov 2, 2010

  2. "Elia S." <> writes:
    >"bod43" ha scritto nel messaggio
    >>One thing you don't mention is the throughput you expect
    >>to see. By modern standards a 3620 will be pretty poor.

    >What throughput should I expect?

    IIRC, for a 3620, somewhere on the order of 20Mbps-30Mbps in the setup
    you are proposing.

    Of the boxes you later list, this would be the "fastest" one. Although
    again something that is over 13 years old isn't exactly the fastest
    thing out there.
    Doug McIntyre, Nov 2, 2010