Re: Cisco 3620: wich IOS to choose

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Doug McIntyre, Nov 2, 2010.

  1. "Elia S." <> writes:
    >I am ready to put on production one cisco 3620 (32F/64D) with two NM:
    >NM with FE combo: trunk interface with lot of vlan (this router is the gw
    >for the vlans)
    >The c3620 needs to ROUTE only packets between the interface, nothing else.

    You are asking pretty basic stuff from it, something they were doing
    quite readily 13-15 years ago. Anything should be fine..

    >cisco 3620 (R4700) processor (revision 0x81) with 60416K/5120K bytes of
    >memory.
    >32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

    Okay, 64k of DRAM, 32k of Flash. As long as your IOS image fits in the
    DRAM and flash you have, you're set.

    >I have this question for you guys:
    >since the router needs to route only, wich IOS is better to be put inside?

    Whichever, Cisco had that kind of feature set nailed down decades ago..

    >IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3620-IK9O3S6-M), Version 12.3(26), RELEASE SOFTWARE
    >IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3620-IS-M), Version 12.2(46a), RELEASE SOFTWARE

    The IK903S6 is a superset of IS. Since its newer, and would fit into
    your RAM/Flash, I'd go with it just because its newer.
    Even if you aren't going to use the crypto features of it (would be
    pretty slow on a 3620), there could be some bugs fixed.

    Overall, its not going to matter.

    >I don't know if the free RAM is an issue when routing only...
    >what is your advice?

    RAM isn't consumed by routing, its all fixed allocation buffers upon boot.
    You only use up RAM for dynamic protocols like EIGRP/OSPF/BGP/etc. etc.
    Doug McIntyre, Nov 2, 2010

  2. "Elia S." <> writes:
    >The latest 12.2 is really light, but the 12.3 has SSH, since the 12.2 is
    >IP/PLUS it is light and has the minimum feature set to support vlans.

    Compared to modern IOS, anything that can fit into 32k is super
    lightweight, being a tiny percentage of the size in current use..

    >With routing in wich way I could use the spare RAM? Maybe with buffers?

    You couldn't use the spare RAM for routing buffers. The buffer
    allocations are fairly fixed, with tiny tweaks allowed. Using more RAM
    gains you nothing.
    Doug McIntyre, Nov 2, 2010