Re: Choosing a laptop mount for the car?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by OldGringo38, Mar 20, 2010.

  1. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Jane Galt Post:
    > Ok, I have the 2002 Corolla. Now for a laptop mount...
    >
    > They have various types available, in all price ranges.
    >
    > Some people say that the ones that are telescoping and sell on Ebay for $80-
    > $130 aint so hot because the telescoping parts can work loose from vibration
    > and start sliding out of adjustment.
    >
    > So they have ones like this, which dont cost much. but are basically made of
    > steel pipe and gotta be drilled into the car floor to mount the flange:
    >
    > http://www.mobilelaptopmount.com/
    >
    > Then the Ram brand mounts look good, but are higher priced. Do they slip out
    > of adjustment too?
    >
    > The problem with the Ram mounts is that I only paid around $350 for the LT,
    > so what they cost seems like a lot compared to that.
    >
    > What are y'all's thoughts on these?
    >
    > What's good and what should I expect to pay?

    Uncomplicated solution, put the laptop in the trunk of the car, and
    take a little stress out of your wellbeing. If you are really
    convinced you need a laptop mount in your car then you might want to
    pay a visit to a Physiotherapist.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Mar 20, 2010

  2. OldGringo38

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:14:50 -0500, Jane Galt wrote:

    >> Uncomplicated solution, put the laptop in the trunk of the car, and
    >> take a little stress out of your well being.

    > Would kinda defeat the whole purpose, being it's for GPS routing and
    > mapping while I drive.

    I think I heard someone talking about a little gadget about the size of
    music cassette case for doing stuff like that once. Natsav or something, I
    think he called it.

    I didn't believe him as it sounded a bit far-fetched and sci-fi, if you
    ask me. It'd be hundreds of years from now before science can make
    anything with that level of miniaturisation.

    Aardvark, Mar 20, 2010

  3. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Jane Galt Post:
    > OldGringo38<> wrote :
    >

    >> Uncomplicated solution, put the laptop in the trunk of the car, and
    >> take a little stress out of your well being.

    > Would kinda defeat the whole purpose, being it's for GPS routing and mapping
    > while I drive.

    That's spooky as hell all by its self. Plan your trip in advance and
    know where you are going and how to get there.

    OldGringo38, Mar 20, 2010
  4. OldGringo38

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 13:11:49 -0500, Jane Galt wrote:

    > So I wish everyone would just quit hassling me about my business and
    > help with what I asked for help with.

    If wishes were horses, we'd all ride everywhere.

    Aard 'with or without satnavs' Vark*

    *With apologies to Mike 'hey, that's *my* schtick' Yetto.

    Aardvark, Mar 20, 2010
  5. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Jane Galt Post:
    > OldGringo38<> wrote :
    >
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Jane Galt Post:

    >>> Would kinda defeat the whole purpose, being it's for GPS routing and
    >>> mapping while I drive.

    >> That's spooky as hell all by its self. Plan your trip in advance and
    >> know where you are going and how to get there.
    >>

    > You obviously dont know a thing about my business or my trip planning.
    >
    > I route 25 or so stops. I use Streets& Trips for routing and to see local
    > maps zoomed in on a neighborhood, if I need to. I type them into a spread
    > sheet and import them to Streets& Trips. Cant do that with a regular GPS
    > unit.
    >
    > So I wish everyone would just quit hassling me about my business and help
    > with what I asked for help with.

    No one really cares about your business, pulling to the side of the
    road was never mentioned as a safety precaution while getting your
    navigational directions. Now if you plan on driving while trying to
    find directions on a laptop then you should be put in Jail without
    trial. Or are you going to kill some little kid in a neighborhood
    and then try to blame it all on Toyota?

    OldGringo38, Mar 20, 2010
  6. On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 13:03:35 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
    > Cents To The Jane Galt Post:
    >> OldGringo38<> wrote :
    >>

    >>> Uncomplicated solution, put the laptop in the trunk of the car, and
    >>> take a little stress out of your well being.

    >> Would kinda defeat the whole purpose, being it's for GPS routing and
    >> mapping while I drive.

    > That's spooky as hell all by its self. Plan your trip in advance and know
    > where you are going and how to get there.

    Can't always do that. If Jane has a gig like mine, you never know when the
    phone is going to ring and your boss is going to tell you you need to be
    in East Cupcake in three hours.

    Hachiroku ハチロク, Mar 20, 2010
  7. On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 13:28:58 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    >> So I wish everyone would just quit hassling me about my business and
    >> help with what I asked for help with.
    >>

    > No one really cares about your business, pulling to the side of the road
    > was never mentioned as a safety precaution while getting your navigational
    > directions.

    Yes it was.

    Hachiroku ハチロク, Mar 20, 2010
  8. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Hachiroku Post:

    What the **** you talking about?

    OldGringo38, Mar 20, 2010
  9. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Hachiroku Post:
    > On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 13:03:35 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
    >> Cents To The Jane Galt Post:

    >>> Would kinda defeat the whole purpose, being it's for GPS routing and
    >>> mapping while I drive.

    >> That's spooky as hell all by its self. Plan your trip in advance and know
    >> where you are going and how to get there.

    > Can't always do that. If Jane has a gig like mine, you never know when the
    > phone is going to ring and your boss is going to tell you you need to be
    > in East Cupcake in three hours.

    That's bull shit. Stop at the next phone and check in.

    OldGringo38, Mar 20, 2010
  10. On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:25:46 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    >> Can't always do that. If Jane has a gig like mine, you never know when
    >> the phone is going to ring and your boss is going to tell you you need
    >> to be in East Cupcake in three hours.
    >>

    > That's bull shit. Stop at the next phone and check in.

    Riiiight...the next phone is where, exactly? I don't know what's up on
    Planet Gringo, but here on Earth the few pay phones there are are few and
    far between and usually require a credit card. Not about to.

    Now should I discuss that I have a Smartphone I can access the web and
    email with?

    Grow up.

    Hachiroku ハチロク, Mar 21, 2010
  11. On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:11:57 -0500, Jane Galt wrote:

    > =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= <> wrote
    > :
    > :
    >> Can't always do that. If Jane has a gig like mine, you never know when
    >> the phone is going to ring and your boss is going to tell you you need
    >> to be in East Cupcake in three hours.

    > I'm the boss, but somnething like that...

    My boss is about 18 LATAs away...and uses his cell phone, too...

    Hachiroku ハチロク, Mar 21, 2010
  12. On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:20:30 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
    > Cents To The Hachiroku Post:

    >>> No one really cares about your business, pulling to the side of the
    >>> road was never mentioned as a safety precaution while getting your
    >>> navigational directions.

    >> Yes it was.
    >>

    > What the **** you talking about?

    About the same thing you are, kinda.

    Wow. You got on me about missing it was a 2002 Corolla but when she said
    she was going to pull over to lok at her laptop, it went over you like an
    SR-71...high and supersonic.

    Grow up.

    Hachiroku ハチロク, Mar 21, 2010

    Hachiroku ハチロク, Mar 21, 2010
  14. OldGringo38

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:29:40 -0400, Hachiroku wrote:

    > LATAs

    Is that some sort of coffee?

    Aardvark, Mar 21, 2010
  15. On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:05:59 -0500, Jane Galt wrote:

    > =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= <> wrote
    > :

    >>> That's bull shit. Stop at the next phone and check in.

    >> Riiiight...the next phone is where, exactly? I don't know what's up on
    >> Planet Gringo, but here on Earth the few pay phones there are are few
    >> and far between and usually require a credit card. Not about to.

    > WHAT pay phones? With the advent of cellular, almost all the pay phones
    > have been taken out.

    Not on planet Gringo!

    Hachiroku ハチロク, Mar 21, 2010
  16. Hachiroku ハチロク, Mar 21, 2010
  17. OldGringo38

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 22:11:25 -0400, Hachiroku wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 01:47:34 +0000, Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:29:40 -0400, Hachiroku wrote:
    >>
    >>> LATAs

    >> Is that some sort of coffee?

    > Local Access and Transport Area.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_access_and_transport_area

    Okley dokley.

    There's nothing similar here in the UK that I know of.

    Aardvark, Mar 21, 2010
  18. On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 02:16:46 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 22:11:25 -0400, Hachiroku wrote:

    >>> Is that some sort of coffee?

    >> Local Access and Transport Area.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_access_and_transport_area

    > Okley dokley.
    >
    > There's nothing similar here in the UK that I know of.

    Oh. You're over there.
    Your accent wasn't discernable at this distance.

    LATAs are basically the Area Code for the local area. Calls within your
    LATA are usually toll-free, but crossing LATAs is usually a toll call.
    I don't know how the UK system operates. All I know is that it's a sin to
    have to pay a tax to watch the drivel on TV these days. Except for Keeping
    Up Appearances, of course...

    Hachiroku ハチロク, Mar 21, 2010
  19. OldGringo38

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 23:10:59 -0400, Hachiroku wrote:

    > All I know is that it's a sin to
    > have to pay a tax to watch the drivel on TV these days.

    You pay tax to watch TV? That's unusual.

    > Except for
    > Keeping Up Appearances, of course...

    I don't believe it! That ended fucking years ago.

    Aardvark, Mar 21, 2010
  20. On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 03:27:44 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 23:10:59 -0400, Hachiroku wrote:
    >
    >> All I know is that it's a sin to
    >> have to pay a tax to watch the drivel on TV these days.

    > You pay tax to watch TV? That's unusual.

    Have they done away with the telly tax in the UK?

    >> Except for
    >> Keeping Up Appearances, of course...

    > I don't believe it! That ended fucking years ago.

    We're a little behind over here! ;)

    Still one of my favorites, though, especially when Rose wore her short
    shorts...

    And our version of the Office is nowhere near as good.

    Hachiroku ハチロク, Mar 21, 2010