Re: CHKDSK

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Jun 16, 2010.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    philo <> wrote in

    > Working on a machine with a slave data drive .
    >
    > On each boot, chkdsk runs
    >
    > I advised to user to backup all data and give me the drive for
    > analysis.
    >
    > First I ran the WD full diagnostic and it passed the test.
    >
    > Next I slaved it to one of my "bench" machines
    >
    > and sure enough with each boot chkdsk ran and found no errors.
    >

    > Just for the hell of it I tried slaving the drive to another one of my
    > "bench" machines
    > and on this one...all kinds of errors were found
    > and 102 bad clusters were re-allocated.
    >
    > Gave drive back to my customer and told them to keep it as an
    > emergency backup.
    >

    > OK, it's obvious the drive is dying
    > and I've definitely seen MFG's utilities pass bad drives from time to
    > time
    >
    > but just curious why one out of the three machines actually got to the
    > root of the problem
    >

    > FWIW: All are running XP pro SP3

    Are you doing a chkdsk /f?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jun 16, 2010

  2. chuckcar

    Tony Guest

    Just to reiterate for Chuckcar i'm definitely not Steve.

    Steve wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > > > philo <> wrote in

    > > > Are you doing a chkdsk /f?
    > > >

    > > Yes
    > >
    > > I think that the "heat" answer makes sense

    > He probably didn't see it since he said he'd killfiled me since I was
    > Tony, or Taylor, or Ish Kabibble or what ever the voices he hears
    > declared.

    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on
    the job for potty mouth,

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Jun 16, 2010