Re: CHKDSK keeps running on G: when WinXP Pro starts - how to stop it??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimmy Dean, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:06:13 GMT, why?

    >On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 00:00:02 +1100, Jimmy Dean wrote:
    >
    >>Running CHKNTFS G: always indicates G: is "dirty".
    >>
    >>The standard way to clear the "dirty bit" is to run CHKDSK on the
    >>partition in question, but in this case it obviously doesn't clear the
    >>bit. Event Viewer/winlogon always indicates minor inconsistencies only
    >>on G: and no bad blocks.

    >So have you forced chkdsk to run at next boot with /f and let it run all
    >the way through.

    Yes

    >The dirty bit sometimes gets stuck, there are some registry entries you
    >can check / alter if required to exclude a drive from a check.

    It occurs to me that the "dirty bit" should physically reside on the
    drive/partition in question so if it is stuck I doubt if a Registry
    entry can reset it.

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Nov 1, 2005

  2. Jimmy Dean

    Trax Guest

    Jimmy Dean <> wrote:

    |>>The dirty bit sometimes gets stuck, there are some registry entries you
    |>>can check / alter if required to exclude a drive from a check.

    |>It occurs to me that the "dirty bit" should physically reside on the
    |>drive/partition in question so if it is stuck I doubt if a Registry
    |>entry can reset it.

    Find out http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/disable-scandisk-chkdsk.htm
    Make sure you have autocheck autochk * as a value.

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/auyjl
    Trax, Nov 1, 2005

  3. Jimmy Dean

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:56:13 +1100, Jimmy Dean wrote:

    >On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:06:13 GMT, why?
    >

    >>On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 00:00:02 +1100, Jimmy Dean wrote:
    >>
    >>>Running CHKNTFS G: always indicates G: is "dirty".
    >>>
    >>>The standard way to clear the "dirty bit" is to run CHKDSK on the
    >>>partition in question, but in this case it obviously doesn't clear the
    >>>bit. Event Viewer/winlogon always indicates minor inconsistencies only
    >>>on G: and no bad blocks.

    >>So have you forced chkdsk to run at next boot with /f and let it run all
    >>the way through.

    >Yes
    >
    >>The dirty bit sometimes gets stuck, there are some registry entries you
    >>can check / alter if required to exclude a drive from a check.

    >It occurs to me that the "dirty bit" should physically reside on the
    >drive/partition in question so if it is stuck I doubt if a Registry
    >entry can reset it.

    I think that's one of the problems, after hunting through some of the
    Google hits, a cure that does work is reformat.

    From the quick scan of the info the registry edit lets you ignore the
    drive.

    Me
    why?, Nov 2, 2005
  4. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:19:14 GMT, why?

    >I think that's one of the problems, after hunting through some of the
    >Google hits, a cure that does work is reformat.

    It's a data only partition so I could do that easily enough.

    >From the quick scan of the info the registry edit lets you ignore the
    >drive.

    chkntfs /x g:

    stops it from running at next boot up

    >Me

    Thanks for your comments

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Nov 2, 2005
  5. Jimmy Dean

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 09:40:38 +1100, Jimmy Dean wrote:

    >On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:19:14 GMT, why?
    >
    >>I think that's one of the problems, after hunting through some of the
    >>Google hits, a cure that does work is reformat.

    >It's a data only partition so I could do that easily enough.

    <snip>

    >Thanks for your comments
    >
    >jd

    YW.

    Me
    why?, Nov 3, 2005
  6. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    wrote:

    >On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:19:14 GMT, why?
    >
    >>I think that's one of the problems, after hunting through some of the
    >>Google hits, a cure that does work is reformat.

    Ya, I formatted it (full format) and it fixed the prob

    thanks

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Nov 3, 2005