Re: Cheapest, reliable VOIP service to Romania?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Feb 5, 2011.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Anti-Spam" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Does anybody know what the cheapest, reliable VOIP service to Romania
    > is please? I am paying 5p a min with Voiptalk UK and I can get 7.8p a
    > min with my Sipgate UK account.

    Calls to Romanian landline numbers are inclusive, (ie free, subject to FUP)
    from several Betamax clones. Eg, justvoip.com is free, or 2.5p/min inc VAT after your FUP quota.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Feb 5, 2011

  2. Graham.

    Peter Watson Guest

    On 05/02/2011 21:56, Anti-Spam wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 21:45:51 -0000, "Graham."<> wrote:
    >

    >> "Anti-Spam"<> wrote in message news:...
    >>> Does anybody know what the cheapest, reliable VOIP service to Romania
    >>> is please? I am paying 5p a min with Voiptalk UK and I can get 7.8p a
    >>> min with my Sipgate UK account.

    >> Calls to Romanian landline numbers are inclusive, (ie free, subject to FUP)
    >>from several Betamax clones. Eg, justvoip.com is free, or 2.5p/min inc VAT after your FUP quota.

    > Can you let me know what FUP stands for please?

    FUP = Fair Use Policy

    See Article 13 towards the bottom of

    http://www.justvoip.com/en/termsofuse.html

    Basically they reserve the right to terminate your account if you make
    too many/lengthy calls. No definition of how much is too much though!

    Peter Watson, Feb 5, 2011

  3. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Anti-Spam" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 21:45:51 -0000, "Graham." <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Anti-Spam" <> wrote in message news:...
    >>> Does anybody know what the cheapest, reliable VOIP service to Romania
    >>> is please? I am paying 5p a min with Voiptalk UK and I can get 7.8p a
    >>> min with my Sipgate UK account.

    >>Calls to Romanian landline numbers are inclusive, (ie free, subject to FUP)
    >>from several Betamax clones. Eg, justvoip.com is free, or 2.5p/min inc VAT after your FUP quota.

    > Can you let me know what FUP stands for please?

    I don't know why they don't make it more obvious on their websites, these are some of the best deals around. (Can you tell I am a
    fan?)

    http://www.justvoip.com/en/free.html
    As you see in the case of justvoip you get 120 days of free call entitlement to selected
    destinations including the UK and Romania (freedays). Topping up (it's PAYG) resets this.
    In addition, you can't make more than 300min of free calls in a (rolling) week.
    If you exceed either of those criterea your UK calls get charged at 1.4p/min inc
    and your romanian ones would be 2.5p/min inc
    which you can see on the "out of freedays" tab here
    http://www.justvoip.com/en/freetrial.html

    Go for it, even without the freedays it's half the price you are paying.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Feb 6, 2011
  4. Graham.

    Peter Watson Guest

    On 06/02/2011 10:01, Anti-Spam wrote:
    > On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 00:27:52 -0000, "Graham."<> wrote:

    >>> Can you let me know what FUP stands for please?

    >> I don't know why they don't make it more obvious on their websites, these are some of the best deals around. (Can you tell I am a
    >> fan?)
    >>
    >> http://www.justvoip.com/en/free.html
    >> As you see in the case of justvoip you get 120 days of free call entitlement to selected
    >> destinations including the UK and Romania (freedays). Topping up (it's PAYG) resets this.
    >> In addition, you can't make more than 300min of free calls in a (rolling) week.
    >> If you exceed either of those criterea your UK calls get charged at 1.4p/min inc
    >> and your romanian ones would be 2.5p/min inc
    >> which you can see on the "out of freedays" tab here
    >> http://www.justvoip.com/en/freetrial.html
    >>
    >> Go for it, even without the freedays it's half the price you are paying.

    > Sounded great from what you wee saying, went on the site, but it looks
    > like you can only use their service, using their softphone. I use a
    > Analogue VOIP adapter (now a Linksys SPA3102 and will be trying a
    > Grandstream Handytone 502) from what I could see, they do not support
    > the use of such equipment, i hope somebody will prove me wrong.

    Take a look at:

    http://fonality.com/trixbox/node/45767

    I've got a trunk set up to use SMSListo (another VOIP provider from the
    same company) in Asterisk but it should also work on your ATA.

    Peter Watson, Feb 6, 2011
  5. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    >>Go for it, even without the freedays it's half the price you are paying.

    > Sounded great from what you wee saying, went on the site, but it looks
    > like you can only use their service, using their softphone. I use a
    > Analogue VOIP adapter (now a Linksys SPA3102 and will be trying a
    > Grandstream Handytone 502) from what I could see, they do not support
    > the use of such equipment, i hope somebody will prove me wrong.

    Happily I can, it can be used with any ATA, the proxy is sip.justvoip.com
    (I think most of the clone names resolve to the same IP)

    With a little tinkering you can get it to present your landline or mobile number
    as CLI so people will know who's calling.
    You need their softphone to sign-up and to manage CLI presentation, then you can
    un-install it if you want.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Feb 6, 2011
  6. Graham.

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 12:10:30 +0000, Graham. wrote:

    >>>Go for it, even without the freedays it's half the price you are
    >>>paying.

    >> Sounded great from what you wee saying, went on the site, but it looks
    >> like you can only use their service, using their softphone. I use a
    >> Analogue VOIP adapter (now a Linksys SPA3102 and will be trying a
    >> Grandstream Handytone 502) from what I could see, they do not support
    >> the use of such equipment, i hope somebody will prove me wrong.

    > Happily I can, it can be used with any ATA, the proxy is
    > sip.justvoip.com (I think most of the clone names resolve to the same
    > IP)
    >
    > With a little tinkering you can get it to present your landline or
    > mobile number as CLI so people will know who's calling. You need their
    > softphone to sign-up and to manage CLI presentation, then you can
    > un-install it if you want.

    As stated, to forward your number you need only get it verified as
    belonging to you - that is easy, then replace your username with the
    nummber.So, if entered as a gateway on a SPA-3102/3000
    an example would be:

    Where 44 is the country code,1274 is the code for Bradford, 234567 is the
    local number.
    I always find having to use their softphone to sign up a barrier. They
    only have a soft phone for Windows and I don't have that. It doesn't work
    in WINE either. I am happy with JustVoip anyway. However, as the question
    in this thread has now been answered may I pose another which may also be
    of interest to the OP.
    If you already use one Betamax Voip service is there any problem signing
    up with a second of their services?

    --
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Want a 2 speed internet or pay more for what you want? No? Then 'Sign'

    Brian A, Feb 7, 2011
  7. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message news:2rS3p.94017$2...

    >>> Sounded great from what you wee saying, went on the site, but it looks
    >>> like you can only use their service, using their softphone. I use a
    >>> Analogue VOIP adapter (now a Linksys SPA3102 and will be trying a
    >>> Grandstream Handytone 502) from what I could see, they do not support
    >>> the use of such equipment, i hope somebody will prove me wrong.

    >> Happily I can, it can be used with any ATA, the proxy is
    >> sip.justvoip.com (I think most of the clone names resolve to the same
    >> IP)
    >>
    >> With a little tinkering you can get it to present your landline or
    >> mobile number as CLI so people will know who's calling. You need their
    >> softphone to sign-up and to manage CLI presentation, then you can
    >> un-install it if you want.

    > As stated, to forward your number you need only get it verified as
    > belonging to you - that is easy, then replace your username with the
    > nummber.So, if entered as a gateway on a SPA-3102/3000
    > an example would be:
    >
    > Where 44 is the country code,1274 is the code for Bradford, 234567 is the
    > local number.
    > I always find having to use their softphone to sign up a barrier. They
    > only have a soft phone for Windows and I don't have that. It doesn't work
    > in WINE either. I am happy with JustVoip anyway. However, as the question
    > in this thread has now been answered may I pose another which may also be
    > of interest to the OP.
    > If you already use one Betamax Voip service is there any problem signing
    > up with a second of their services?

    No, but with three provisos.

    The registration mechanism appears to be common across all the brands
    so you can't have the same username on a second or subsequent registration

    If you are using multiple accounts to make calls from the same IP address
    the 300 weekly free call limit is shared between the accounts.

    Finally, and this one caused me some grief, you can't pay for multiple accounts using the same Paypal account.
    You can set up a second Paypal account, I don't think you are really supposed to have multiple basic accounts so use a different
    email address.
    If you do that however you must not register the same card, if you do,
    you will instantly blacklist* the card and will need to email Paypal to get
    it re-instated.

    * Blacklist on Paypal, not the card itself.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Feb 7, 2011
  8. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    > If you are using multiple accounts to make calls from the same IP address
    > the 300 weekly free call limit is shared between the accounts.

    Typo. Weekly 300 minutes, not 300 calls

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Feb 7, 2011
  9. Graham.

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 15:20:50 +0000, Graham. wrote:

    > "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    >>> Happily I can, it can be used with any ATA, the proxy is
    >>> sip.justvoip.com (I think most of the clone names resolve to the same
    >>> IP)
    >>>
    >>> With a little tinkering you can get it to present your landline or
    >>> mobile number as CLI so people will know who's calling. You need their
    >>> softphone to sign-up and to manage CLI presentation, then you can
    >>> un-install it if you want.

    >> As stated, to forward your number you need only get it verified as
    >> belonging to you - that is easy, then replace your username with the
    >> nummber.So, if entered as a gateway on a SPA-3102/3000 an example
    >> would be:
    >>
    >> Where 44 is the country code,1274 is the code for Bradford, 234567 is
    >> the local number.
    >> I always find having to use their softphone to sign up a barrier. They
    >> only have a soft phone for Windows and I don't have that. It doesn't
    >> work in WINE either. I am happy with JustVoip anyway. However, as the
    >> question in this thread has now been answered may I pose another which
    >> may also be of interest to the OP.
    >> If you already use one Betamax Voip service is there any problem
    >> signing up with a second of their services?

    > No, but with three provisos.
    >
    > The registration mechanism appears to be common across all the brands so
    > you can't have the same username on a second or subsequent registration
    >
    > If you are using multiple accounts to make calls from the same IP
    > address the 300 weekly free call limit is shared between the accounts.
    >
    > Finally, and this one caused me some grief, you can't pay for multiple
    > accounts using the same Paypal account. You can set up a second Paypal
    > account, I don't think you are really supposed to have multiple basic
    > accounts so use a different email address.
    > If you do that however you must not register the same card, if you do,
    > you will instantly blacklist* the card and will need to email Paypal to
    > get it re-instated.
    >
    > * Blacklist on Paypal, not the card itself.

    Thanks for your comprehensive coverage of this subject. I thought I'd
    read somewhere about negatives with some multiple accounts. Now I know
    hat to avoid doing.

    Brian A, Feb 8, 2011
  10. Brian A <> wrote:
    > I always find having to use their softphone to sign up a barrier. They
    > only have a soft phone for Windows and I don't have that. It doesn't work
    > in WINE either. I am happy with JustVoip anyway. However, as the question
    > in this thread has now been answered may I pose another which may also be
    > of interest to the OP.

    You don't have to use the softphone to sign up - they each have a web
    signup if you click on 'Mac and Linux':
    https://www.smslisto.com/en/websignup.php

    (replace smslisto with whatever brand you're signing up with)

    You only need the softphone to register numbers for CLID. (The softphone
    must use a simple protocol for this, but I've never got around to snooping
    it to find out)

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Feb 8, 2011
  11. Graham.

    Chris Davies Guest

    Graham. <> wrote:
    > Finally, and this one caused me some grief, you can't pay for multiple
    > accounts using the same Paypal account.

    However, you can use one card to pay multiple Betamax accounts (bypassing
    Paypal entirely).

    Chris

    Chris Davies, Feb 11, 2011