Re: Cheapest blu ray player?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by AnimalMagic, Oct 15, 2008.

  1. AnimalMagic

    AnimalMagic Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:46:10 -0700, "The Mighty T.B."
    <> wrote:

    >"gatekeeper" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Can someone point me in the direction of the cheapest bluray player
    >> thats currently available as I dont want to spend too much.
    >> Thanks

    >There are several BR players, several that will be replaced by newer models
    >going for just under $200 if you shop around. I'd highly recommend the
    >Panasonic BD30 which will be widely discounted to as low as $179 after
    >Thanksgiving.
    >
    >T.B.

    Or one can buy the LG GGC-H20L BR/HD-DVD/DVD/CD combo
    reader/writer/player from Fry's Electronics for Less than $150.

    It plays both BR and HD DVD just fine, and it also writes certain disc
    formats of the DVD and CD realm. Oh... and it does Light Scribe too.

    This, of course, requires that the film title be played on one's PC,
    unless one's video card can put out to the HDTV like mine does.

    The regular old PS3 is still the best buy in my view as it is a
    BR Player, a DVD Player, a CD Player, a game console, and a personal
    computer all in one, and it has a hard drive, and network connectivity
    allowing you to download store and play back other content as well. It
    also plays many of the same videos that you could play on your PC. It
    plays MP3s as well. Italso has a slide show feature for jpegs and other
    photo-images. It has both wireless and wired Ethernet.

    The very cheap "Stardust" game is a re-spin of the old asteroids game,
    and it is far better. Under Linux boot I can play SDLMAme which allows
    me to play any of the old arcade games that ever was.

    Yes, it is far better than a simple stand alone BR DVD player. If they
    are $200 plus, and the PS3 is only $300 plus, I think there is no
    contest, considering how much more you get. The PS3 is absolutely the
    best choice from a bang for the buck perspective. The bare minimum for
    an El Cheapo model would be an optical audio out, HDMI out, and it has to
    comply with all the latest audio formats that the BR form factor carries.
    If it can't do that, then the screwing you are getting isn't worth the
    screwing you are getting (or not getting in this case).

    I am thinking about getting a second LG multi-drive to hook up to my
    PS3 to see if I can do HD DVD on the PS3.
    AnimalMagic, Oct 15, 2008

  2. AnimalMagic

    Telstar Guest

    He does not want a drive, but a player. Useless effort on your part.
    Telstar, Oct 15, 2008