Re: cheap within-USA calling wanted

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by John Levine, May 9, 2004.

  1. John Levine

    John Levine Guest

    >> providers offer 3.9c/min eg Vonage, which is no good.
    >
    >Is this still the "normal" price level for long distance calls in the US?
    >Rates for calling the US from Germany starts at about 2.7 USc/min (both
    >fixed line and VoIP originated calls).

    Prices in the U.S. are all over the place. My fixed line carrier
    charges 5.8 cpm to Germany, Vonage charges 2cpm or 3cpm. Verizon, the
    dominant local carrier in this part of the U.S., charges anywhere from
    10 cpm to $1.06/min to call Germany if you're dumb enough to use them.

    Domestic calls cost anywhere from zero on up. All of the VoIP
    carriers and most fixed line carriers offer flat rate plans with
    unlimited voice calls within the US and Canada and bundled minute
    plans with a lot of minutes at a fixed price. If you don't make
    enough calls for the bundled plans to be worthwhile, the per
    minute rates vary from about 2cpm to 15cpm depending on both the
    long distance carrier and who your local phone company is.

    In his case, he wants to do bulk faxing which all of the flat rate
    plans specifically prohibit, both because it uses a lot more minutes
    than voice users do and because most bulk faxing in the US is illegal.

    John Levine, May 9, 2004