Re: Cheap, good digital camera?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Shore, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:42:16 +1200, "kiwiwidescreen" <widescreen@rules> wrote:

    >Just looked at some photo's I took last night with the a70, the auto mode
    >can be frustrating, my pics were indoor at night and the automode seems to
    >have bumped the iso setting right up resulting in very noisy & unclear
    >pictures, I wish this thing allowed you to fix the iso setting in auto, you
    >can switch to program mode but it is more handy to use full auto sometimes,
    >I have to try and remember what circumstances I can get away with auto and
    >which I can't but it is a pain to be forced into program mode all the time.

    This is what a Sony DSC V1 can do in the dark. Time was 8:40ish tonight. All are
    unedited except for being reduced to 1024 x n, and saved as a more compressed
    jpeg.
    What you actually see with your eyes is somewhere between what it did on fully
    auto and the first manual setting. I don't think i've ever had a problem with
    noise in the pictures on auto inside at night.

    On auto, ISO 320, 1/8 sec, F/3.2
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/night/Dsc02662.jpg

    On Manual, but with ISO on auto
    ISO 100, 5 sec, F/3.2
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/night/Dsc02663.jpg

    ISO 100, 15 sec, F/3.2
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/night/Dsc02664.jpg

    ISO 100, 30 sec, F/3.2
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/night/Dsc02665.jpg

    And a different shot, the sky.
    ISO 100, 30 sec, F/3.2. The bluring is due to the wind blowing the trees. It's
    overcast at the moment, otherwise you would see the stars.
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/night/Dsc02667.jpg

    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/night/Dsc02671.jpg
    ISO 800, 30 sec, F/2.8. Again bluring due to movement of the trees during the
    30 second exposure. Taken 9:37pm. To me the colour is amazing for being taken
    in the dark.

    Or how about this one from 21st October, 9:49pm. ISO 200, 20 sec, F/2.8.
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/night/Dsc00864.jpg

    Craig Shore, Apr 23, 2004

    wrote:

    > >Just looked at some photo's I took last night with the a70, the auto mode
    > >can be frustrating, my pics were indoor at night and the automode seems

    > >have bumped the iso setting right up resulting in very noisy & unclear
    > >pictures, I wish this thing allowed you to fix the iso setting in auto,

    you
    > >can switch to program mode but it is more handy to use full auto

    sometimes,
    > >I have to try and remember what circumstances I can get away with auto

    and
    > >which I can't but it is a pain to be forced into program mode all the

    time.

    > This is what a Sony DSC V1 can do in the dark. Time was 8:40ish tonight.

    All are
    > unedited except for being reduced to 1024 x n, and saved as a more

    compressed
    > jpeg.
    > What you actually see with your eyes is somewhere between what it did on

    fully
    > auto and the first manual setting. I don't think i've ever had a problem

    with
    > noise in the pictures on auto inside at night.

    The A70 and DSC V1 both produce good useable images down to .67 lux
    according to a professional review although the sony has double the maximum
    exposure time so would still be a better nighttime camera overall you would
    think.

    kiwiwidescreen, Apr 25, 2004

  3. Craig Shore

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "kiwiwidescreen" <widescreen@rules> wrote in message

    > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:42:16 +1200, "kiwiwidescreen" <widescreen@rules>

    > wrote:
    > >

    > > >Just looked at some photo's I took last night with the a70, the auto

    mode
    > > >can be frustrating, my pics were indoor at night and the automode seems

    > > >have bumped the iso setting right up resulting in very noisy & unclear
    > > >pictures, I wish this thing allowed you to fix the iso setting in auto,

    > you
    > > >can switch to program mode but it is more handy to use full auto

    > sometimes,
    > > >I have to try and remember what circumstances I can get away with auto

    > and
    > > >which I can't but it is a pain to be forced into program mode all the

    > time.
    > >
    > > This is what a Sony DSC V1 can do in the dark. Time was 8:40ish tonight.

    > All are
    > > unedited except for being reduced to 1024 x n, and saved as a more

    > compressed
    > > jpeg.
    > > What you actually see with your eyes is somewhere between what it did on

    > fully
    > > auto and the first manual setting. I don't think i've ever had a problem

    > with
    > > noise in the pictures on auto inside at night.
    > >

    > The A70 and DSC V1 both produce good useable images down to .67 lux
    > according to a professional review although the sony has double the

    maximum
    > exposure time so would still be a better nighttime camera overall you

    would
    > think.

    Cheap of course being around the $300 mark, or was the original poster
    thinking more of around $1,500?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Apr 25, 2004
  4. "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

    > "kiwiwidescreen" <widescreen@rules> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > > > On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:42:16 +1200, "kiwiwidescreen"

    <widescreen@rules>

    > mode

    seems

    unclear

    auto,
    > > you

    > > sometimes,

    auto
    > > and

    > > time.
    > > >
    > > > This is what a Sony DSC V1 can do in the dark. Time was 8:40ish

    tonight.
    > > All are
    > > > unedited except for being reduced to 1024 x n, and saved as a more

    > > compressed
    > > > jpeg.
    > > > What you actually see with your eyes is somewhere between what it did

    on
    > > fully
    > > > auto and the first manual setting. I don't think i've ever had a

    problem
    > > with
    > > > noise in the pictures on auto inside at night.
    > > >

    > > The A70 and DSC V1 both produce good useable images down to .67 lux
    > > according to a professional review although the sony has double the

    > maximum
    > > exposure time so would still be a better nighttime camera overall you

    > would
    > > think.

    > Cheap of course being around the $300 mark, or was the original poster
    > thinking more of around $1,500?
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    $500 mark from memory which would disqualify the sony.

    kiwiwidescreen, Apr 25, 2004
  5. Craig Shore

    ~misfit~ Guest

    kiwiwidescreen wrote:
    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "kiwiwidescreen" <widescreen@rules> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message

    >>> The A70 and DSC V1 both produce good useable images down to .67 lux
    >>> according to a professional review although the sony has double the
    >>> maximum exposure time so would still be a better nighttime camera
    >>> overall you would think.

    >> Cheap of course being around the $300 mark, or was the original
    >> poster thinking more of around $1,500?
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > $500 mark from memory which would disqualify the sony.

    Yep, $500 was the approximate budget. Ended up paying $500 for the camera
    (A70), $40 for 4 NiMH batteries (only 1600mA/h) and charger and $60 for a
    64MB card (it came with only a 16MB card). So $600 all-up. I'm well pleased
    with it, although I have no frame of reference, but that could be a good
    thing no?

    Got a couple of nice pics of the missus with a Kahawai she caught at Port
    Waikato this afternoon. We can finally capture those 'magic moments'
    although I can see that a new HDD is going to have to be on the shopping
    list soon. (She's running a Barton 2500+ OC'ed to 3200+ spec but only has a
    pair of 20GB HDDs). She's gone snap-happy, taken about 300 pics already.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 25, 2004
  6. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:59:16 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >Cheap of course being around the $300 mark, or was the original poster
    >thinking more of around $1,500?

    He had purchased when I posed that followup, I was not posting as a
    recommendation, just showing what the DSC V1 could do when someone
    else mentioned noise in the pictures at high ISO settings.

    Craig Shore, Apr 25, 2004