Re: charging for trips during service calls?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Ghost, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, David K
    <> wrote:

    > I've noticed there are some experienced repair techs here, so I
    > thought I'd ask...
    >
    > I'm heading to a family member's office Tuesday to service an old
    > system. It sounds like a video card needs replacing, but I'd like to
    > check it out to be more sure.
    >
    > I'm planning on charging about $25/hour, since I don't have
    > professional experience (comments?). I'm getting my A+ in a couple
    > weeks or so.
    >
    > What's the best thing to do if I need to leave to make a trip to a
    > retail store to pick up replacement hardware? It would be at least a
    > 45-minute trip. Just charge extra for the hardware and try to be
    > better equipped next time?
    >
    > Thanks for any comments. :)
    >
    > David

    You can prolly charge for the entire time you are tied up with that
    customer- including going to the store for parts.

    Many other service type businesses do the same- air conditioning repair,
    plumbers, electricians, etc.

    But, you really have to look at what is fair to the customer- if you want
    that customer back again...
    Ghost, Jul 29, 2003