Re: changing SIP ports

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Bodincus, Oct 6, 2010.

  1. Bodincus

    Bodincus Guest

    (06/10/10 16:34), www.GymRatZ.co.uk:
    > Hey ho.
    > Random phone funnies are going on once more....
    > It has come to my attention that running an ATA such as gigaset box on
    > the LAN side of a VOIP-enabled router (Draytek vg2910) may give a
    > conflict of services even though I have no accounts on the draytec set
    > to register.
    > Would it be an idea to change the SIP port of the Gigaset from the
    > default 5060 to something else?

    Yep

    > likewise the RTP ports are 5004-5020 can
    > this range be changed?

    Yep again

    > There is an option on the gigaset box to use "random ports" might this
    > be a better option?

    Nope

    > Cheers
    > Pete

    Change the SIP port to 5070 and the RTP ports to 10000-10100, and
    forward all UDP traffic on those ports to the Siemens' IP.

    Remember also to use - where possible - an Outbound proxy, and not to
    have registrations refresh too often.

    By default, the "Registration refresh time:" on Gigaset is 180 seconds,
    that means that by RFC the refresh is made at 75% of that, so one
    registration every minute and a half or thereabouts. Too likely to fail.

    I set that parameter to 600 or even 1200, and the "NAT refresh time" to
    the maximum of 999 - you don't need it if you open the ports on your router.

    HTH
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid

    Bodincus, Oct 6, 2010