Re: changing operating systems

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Tony Sperling, Jan 3, 2007.

  1. This is a 64bit Forum, but if you update both your systems to SP2, I don't
    thiink there are any differences between the two any more?

    Tony. . .

    "flyfisher" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a laptop running windows xp and a desktop running windows xp
    > professional. I want to be able to run xp professional on the laptop. I

    have

    Tony Sperling, Jan 3, 2007

  2. Between which two?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 3, 2007

  3. 'Home' & 'Pro'.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 3, 2007
  4. Tony Sperling

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Home and Pro are still as different as they've ever been. Well, except that
    you can't tell them apart from the boot screen anymore.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jan 3, 2007
  5. Only, my Notebook came with Home SP2, and I never had any of those installed
    before that, but I know I was thinking that everything that I expected to be
    in 'Pro' - like admin tools and stuff, was in SP2 as well, so what then is
    the difference - except the original license and the number of connections
    you can make that comes with that license?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 3, 2007
  6. Tony Sperling

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    The only one I can remember off the top of my head is that in XP Home, you
    can't have incoming Remote Desktop sessions.

    Wikipedia has a list of features in Pro but not Home, see "Editions" near
    the top.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jan 3, 2007
  7. No backup in home. Home can't join a domain. No remote desktop in home.
    Those are the major ones.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 3, 2007
  8. You can't do things like join a domain or use dual processors (sockets, not
    cores). The list is very long and you can compare the editions at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/compare.mspx.

    Service packs are built on the code base, not the editions. XP x86 is NT
    5.1 and service packs built on this base are equally applicable to all the
    editions. This is why there are not separate service packs for Home, Pro,
    Tablet, or MCE. This is also why service packs are seldom the vehicle for
    new features.

    The codebase for XP Pro x64 is NT 5.2. This is why it requires the same
    service packs as Server 2003 and not the NT 5.1 versions of XP.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 3, 2007
  9. Tony Sperling

    DP Guest

    > Only, my Notebook came with Home SP2, and I never had any of those
    > installed
    > before that, but I know I was thinking that everything that I expected to
    > be
    > in 'Pro' - like admin tools and stuff, was in SP2 as well, so what then is
    > the difference - except the original license and the number of connections
    > you can make that comes with that license?

    I believe Pro offers encryption capabilities that Home doesn't.

    DP, Jan 4, 2007
  10. All of you are of course perfectly right, I cannot remember precisely the
    thought in my head at the moment of writing, most likely I wanted to
    emphasize that the original question didn't necessarily had to be a
    licensing issue, unless 'flyfisher' knew exactly why he wanted 'Pro' editon
    on the laptop - at the same time that I was unsure of if he might want to
    swap the installations between the machines.

    But I certainly wasn't aware of the amount of differences, which proves my
    old adage: that being wrong provokes truth!

    Thanks, to everyone. :-/)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 4, 2007
  11. Backup is on the CD in Home but is not installed by default. Like the
    support tools, it has to be installed manually.

    Dominic Payer, Jan 4, 2007