Re: changing color of text for names of folder/document present on the Desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by alan, Jul 13, 2010.

  1. alan

    alan Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a way, to change just the color of text for names of
    > folders/documents present on the Desktop. For e.g., if there is a folder
    > called New Folder on the desktop and a document called Test.doc where the
    > names "New Folder" and "Test.doc", are in white color, the text color
    > needs to be changed from white to some other color like red/orange.
    >
    > The user has a background picture which makes it hard to read things if
    > the color of text is white. The user does not want to change the
    > background picture. I did a right click on the desktop, chose the
    > properties, then appearance tab and there tried to change the font color
    > by going to the Advanced option, but that does not change the color of
    > text for names of folder/document present on the Desktop. It does for
    > documents browsed using Windows Explorer.
    >
    > Is there a way to change just the color of text for names of
    > folder/document present on the Desktop only?
    >
    > If not, can I just increase the size of text for names of folder/document
    > present on the Desktop?

    There's no way to change the text color for what you've specified.
    You CAN, however, increase the text size:
    Control Panel ---> Display ---> Appearance ---> Advanced --->
    choose "Icon" from the drop-down "Item" list
    choose the size from the drop-down "Size" list
    (you can also select B for bold to make the text even more legible)

    alan, Jul 13, 2010

  2. alan

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Re: changing color of text for names of folder/document present onthe Desktop

    alan <> writes and having writ moves on.

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> Is there a way, to change just the color of text for names of
    >> folders/documents present on the Desktop. For e.g., if there is a folder
    >> called New Folder on the desktop and a document called Test.doc where the
    >> names "New Folder" and "Test.doc", are in white color, the text color
    >> needs to be changed from white to some other color like red/orange.
    >>
    >> The user has a background picture which makes it hard to read things if
    >> the color of text is white. The user does not want to change the
    >> background picture. I did a right click on the desktop, chose the
    >> properties, then appearance tab and there tried to change the font color
    >> by going to the Advanced option, but that does not change the color of
    >> text for names of folder/document present on the Desktop. It does for
    >> documents browsed using Windows Explorer.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to change just the color of text for names of
    >> folder/document present on the Desktop only?
    >>
    >> If not, can I just increase the size of text for names of folder/document
    >> present on the Desktop?

    > There's no way to change the text color for what you've specified.
    > You CAN, however, increase the text size:
    > Control Panel ---> Display ---> Appearance ---> Advanced --->
    > choose "Icon" from the drop-down "Item" list
    > choose the size from the drop-down "Size" list
    > (you can also select B for bold to make the text even more legible)

    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the desktop text color
    dependent on the desktop background color? That is, a dark
    background will force white text and a light background, dark
    text.

    I haven't used Windows at home for years and only use it at work.
    Since I don't change things around at work very often I might be
    remembering this incorrectly.

    Mike "chucktard approved: not my first advice" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Jul 13, 2010

  3. "Mike Yetto" <> wrote in message
    > alan <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>
    >> "John" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is there a way, to change just the color of text for names of
    >>> folders/documents present on the Desktop. For e.g., if there is a folder
    >>> called New Folder on the desktop and a document called Test.doc where
    >>> the
    >>> names "New Folder" and "Test.doc", are in white color, the text color
    >>> needs to be changed from white to some other color like red/orange.
    >>>
    >>> The user has a background picture which makes it hard to read things if
    >>> the color of text is white. The user does not want to change the
    >>> background picture. I did a right click on the desktop, chose the
    >>> properties, then appearance tab and there tried to change the font color
    >>> by going to the Advanced option, but that does not change the color of
    >>> text for names of folder/document present on the Desktop. It does for
    >>> documents browsed using Windows Explorer.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to change just the color of text for names of
    >>> folder/document present on the Desktop only?
    >>>
    >>> If not, can I just increase the size of text for names of
    >>> folder/document
    >>> present on the Desktop?

    >> There's no way to change the text color for what you've specified.
    >> You CAN, however, increase the text size:
    >> Control Panel ---> Display ---> Appearance ---> Advanced --->
    >> choose "Icon" from the drop-down "Item" list
    >> choose the size from the drop-down "Size" list
    >> (you can also select B for bold to make the text even more legible)
    >>

    > Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the desktop text color
    > dependent on the desktop background color? That is, a dark
    > background will force white text and a light background, dark
    > text.

    You're absolutely right -- a light background will result in dark text color
    and vice versa --- but that's the case with *solid* color backgrounds. The
    OP has a photo for his background which apparently results in hard-to-read
    white text.
    Chucktard has obviously paid no attention at all to the details of the OP's
    inquiry and has assumed that he wanted to change the color of the desktop
    background.
    Chucktard's advice of "Display properties/Appearance" reveals his
    misunderstanding of the issue.
    Chucktard has yet, by the way, failed to provide proof that one CAN change
    the text color of the desktop icons. Understandable, of course, since one
    canNOT do so . . .

    Café Publico, Jul 13, 2010
  4. alan

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Re: changing color of text for names of folder/document present onthe Desktop

    Café Publico <> writes and having writ moves on.

    > "Mike Yetto" <> wrote in message
    >> Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the desktop text color
    >> dependent on the desktop background color? That is, a dark
    >> background will force white text and a light background, dark
    >> text.

    > You're absolutely right -- a light background will result in dark text color
    > and vice versa --- but that's the case with *solid* color backgrounds. The
    > OP has a photo for his background which apparently results in hard-to-read
    > white text.

    Since you can change the background color even when it is
    completely covered by a photo wallpaper, the solution is still a
    change of the background color to white.

    > Chucktard has obviously paid no attention

    Bingo

    Mike "I hope the OP is still here" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Jul 13, 2010
  5. "Mike Yetto" <> wrote in message
    > Café Publico <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>
    >> "Mike Yetto" <> wrote in message
    >>> Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the desktop text color
    >>> dependent on the desktop background color? That is, a dark
    >>> background will force white text and a light background, dark
    >>> text.

    >> You're absolutely right -- a light background will result in dark text
    >> color
    >> and vice versa --- but that's the case with *solid* color backgrounds.
    >> The
    >> OP has a photo for his background which apparently results in
    >> hard-to-read
    >> white text.

    > Since you can change the background color even when it is
    > completely covered by a photo wallpaper, the solution is still a
    > change of the background color to white.

    An intriguing solution, but I just experimented ---- that doesn't do it
    either. A solid background color of white will certainly change the icon's
    text color to black, but (maintaining the white background) and stretching a
    solid color white or any color photo for that matter will result in white
    text. XP seems to default to white lettering no matter what the content of
    the photo is or what the (hidden) background color may be. In any case, the
    OP wanted red or orange text which is impossible no matter what the
    circumstances are.

    Note to Chucktard --- cover your desktop with a photo (ANY photo), change
    the icons' text color (to ANY color but white), and post a link to a
    screenshot of your impossible feat . . .

    chucktard's silence will, of course, be deafening . . .

    Café Publico, Jul 13, 2010
  6. alan

    chuckcar Guest

    Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    **** you both.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 13, 2010
  7. alan

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:20:13 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Mike Yetto <> wrote in
    >
    >> Café Publico <> writes and having writ moves
    >> on.
    >>>
    >>> "Mike Yetto" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> You're absolutely right -- a light background will result in dark
    >>> text color and vice versa --- but that's the case with *solid* color
    >>> backgrounds. The OP has a photo for his background which apparently
    >>> results in hard-to-read white text.

    >> Since you can change the background color even when it is
    >> completely covered by a photo wallpaper, the solution is still a
    >> change of the background color to white.
    >>
    >>> Chucktard has obviously paid no attention

    >> Bingo
    >>
    >> Mike "I hope the OP is still here" Yetto

    >**** you both.

    And who is going to do the fucking? You? You can't even manage an
    erection!!!!!

    joevan, Jul 13, 2010
  8. alan

    thanatoid Guest

    Café Publico <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > Chucktard has yet, by the way, failed to provide proof that
    > one CAN change the text color of the desktop icons.
    > Understandable, of course, since one canNOT do so . . .

    I am *****SO FUCKING SICKENED***** by this thread...

    ....and by all the infantile behavior you FUCKING ASSHOLES are
    displaying. (Ignorance is normal and acceptable.)

    {BTW, I am trying to use simple English terminology even your
    HATE- and SHIT-INFESTED brains will have no trouble
    understanding.}

    Now, FYFI (FOR YOUR FUCKING INFORMATION):

    "Transparent DeskTop gives you control over the color of the
    text and its background that labels the icons of your computer
    desktop. Its most important feature is the fact that it can
    make the background of these labels transparent. This is a
    feature that Windows 95/98 desktop settings does not support.
    If you do not like the colored block behind the icons of your
    desktop, this little utility is for you."
    (from readme file)

    (http://www.elasticform.com/Other_Components.htm)

    This current site (it's an OLD program, the site used to be
    different) claims the program does NOT work under XP, but it
    works JUST FINE on my full XP-SP3 install. Just make sure you
    have "use drop shadows..." UNCHECKED in CP\advanced\performance.

    There are several OTHER desktop utilities that do the SAME
    THING, you bunch of FUCKING ASSHOLES, but I have been using this
    one for about 12 years since it is nice and small and does
    nothing except what it is supposed to do. (Good thing this
    utility is NOT a regular in this newsgroup.)

    Not that any of you "let's just insult each other because we
    have become too stupid to be able to do ANYTHING else" FUCKING
    ASSHOLES cares, but threads like this are making me VERY close
    to disappearing from this group. If you could see beyond your
    pathetic SMELLY ASSHOLES, you would have noticed ***JUST HOW
    MANY PEOPLE*** have done so in the last 6-12 months. Nice work,
    you FUCKING ASSHOLES.

    This once-fabulous group is becoming so stomach-turning and FULL
    OF SHIT than even someone as bored with life as I am can barely
    endure it. The only alternative would be to plonk about 5 more
    people every week, in addition to the current 146. Maybe that's
    what I'll do. Once a month (it used to be several times a day)
    one can still learn SOMETHING, no thanks to most of you FUCKING
    ASSHOLES.

    **** YOU.

    --
    You know, that women never really faint
    And that villains always blink their eyes

    thanatoid, Jul 14, 2010
  9. alan

    thanapeep Guest

    Café Publico <> wrote in

    Posting nym-shifted for those who have me plonked.

    <SNIP>

    thanapeep, Jul 15, 2010
  10. alan

    thanatoid Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > Café Publico <> wrote in
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> Chucktard has yet, by the way, failed to provide proof
    >> that one CAN change the text color of the desktop icons.
    >> Understandable, of course, since one canNOT do so . . .

    Now, my opinion of all you FUCKING ASSHOLES aside, is anyone
    going to address a certain discord between what you have all
    been babbling over and over and the factual /and/ easily
    verifiable info presented below:

    > "Transparent DeskTop gives you control over the color of
    > the text and its background that labels the icons of your
    > computer desktop. Its most important feature is the fact
    > that it can make the background of these labels
    > transparent. This is a feature that Windows 95/98 desktop
    > settings does not support. If you do not like the colored
    > block behind the icons of your desktop, this little utility
    > is for you." (from readme file)
    >
    > (http://www.elasticform.com/Other_Components.htm)
    >
    > This current site (it's an OLD program, the site used to be
    > different) claims the program does NOT work under XP, but
    > it works JUST FINE on my full XP-SP3 install. Just make
    > sure you have "use drop shadows..." UNCHECKED in
    > CP\system\advanced\performance.

    I'm waiting.

    thanatoid, Jul 15, 2010
  11. alan

    thanapeep Guest

    thanapeep, Jul 15, 2010
  12. alan

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Re: changing color of text for names of folder/document present onthe Desktop

    thanapeep <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >> Café Publico <> wrote in
    >>
    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >>> Chucktard has yet, by the way, failed to provide proof
    >>> that one CAN change the text color of the desktop icons.
    >>> Understandable, of course, since one canNOT do so . . .

    > Now, my opinion of all you FUCKING ASSHOLES aside, is anyone
    > going to address a certain discord between what you have all
    > been babbling over and over and the factual /and/ easily
    > verifiable info presented below:

    Why not?

    >> "Transparent DeskTop gives you control over the color of
    >> the text and its background that labels the icons of your
    >> computer desktop. Its most important feature is the fact
    >> that it can make the background of these labels
    >> transparent. This is a feature that Windows 95/98 desktop
    >> settings does not support. If you do not like the colored
    >> block behind the icons of your desktop, this little utility
    >> is for you." (from readme file)

    The photo background of the labels showing through is the
    problem, not the solution. A way to change the icon text color
    is needed and doesn't seem to exist.

    > I'm waiting.

    And so politely.

    Mike "thanks for playing, here's the home game" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Jul 15, 2010
  13. alan

    thanafart Guest

    Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    > thanapeep <> writes and having writ
    > moves on.

    <SNIP>

    >> Now, my opinion of all you FUCKING ASSHOLES aside, is
    >> anyone going to address a certain discord between what you
    >> have all been babbling over and over and the factual /and/
    >> easily verifiable info presented below:
    >>

    > Why not?

    Because most people (LIKE ALL THE FUCKING ASSHOLES MY POST WAS
    ADDRESSED TO) don't like to be proven wrong. YOU ALONE of the
    whole gang are SO SMUG AND CONCEITED that you STILL think I am
    wrong when it would take you about 20 seconds (if your reading
    comprehension was as good as your thesaurus skills), or about 5
    minutes (by dl'g and running the program), that in fact YOU are
    as wrong as all the other FUCKING ASSHOLES who darkened this
    group with the demented thread of malice.

    So try reading this again, SLOWLY, and TRY to understand:

    >>> "Transparent DeskTop gives you control over the color of
    >>> the text and its background that labels the icons of your
    >>> computer desktop.

    > The photo background of the labels showing through
    > is the problem, not the solution.

    The "Transparent DeskTop" IS the solution, because that utility
    makes the "text block" transparent AND it allows you to custom-
    modify the /text color/ ITSELF.

    It also allows you to change it to /any other/ of Windows' 16
    million colors in about 20 seconds when your desktop background
    changes to something with which whatever color you have
    currently selected for the icon text no longer "works", or for
    ANY other reason, like simple variety.

    (encore)
    > The photo background of the labels showing through
    > is the problem, not the solution.

    No, the problem is you have forgotten how to read English, since
    all you concentrate on are ways to make whatever garbage you
    write incomprehensible to the average reader.

    I have no idea what the /other/ FUCKING ASSHOLES' problem is,
    except that they are FUCKING ASSHOLES.

    For your convenience, selected from the readme excerpt above:

    1) "control over the color of the text and its background".

    For your convenience, selected from the readme excerpt excerpt
    above:

    2) "color of the text"

    Please read the above 4 words several times, SLOWLY. You MAY
    finally comprehend that the COLOR OF THE TEXT is mentioned. IF
    you downloaded the gargantuan (one exe and one readme, each
    about 20KB) program and READ the /entire/ readme - if the above
    is not enough for you - you would read the following:

    - - - - -
    If you wish different look for the icons text you can use
    Transparent Desktop with one or two parameters:

    The first Parameter can be h for HELP or a color for text of the
    icons.
    Values that are accepted for the first parameter are :
    h : It shows this HELP file
    r : Set a random text color
    One of the following icon text colors
    white, black, yellow, lime, orange, red, green, blue, fuchsia,
    brown, any Color identified by a Number.

    In windows all colors have numbers, for example white is
    16777215 in decimals or $FFFFFF in hexadecimals. Since there
    are millions of combinations of Red Green and Blue hues to make
    a color, most colors are identifiable by number and not by name.
    Practically any number you wish to use corresponds to a color.
    - - - - -

    > A way to change the icon text
    > color is needed and doesn't seem to exist.

    Excuse me, "DOESN'T SEEM TO EXIST"? WHICH part of the above
    extract(s) do you NOT understand? Are you so full of your own
    shit you prefer to appear a psychotic (who does not see what is
    on his screen but only what is in his own mind) than to admit
    you are WRONG?

    >> I'm waiting.

    > And so politely.

    As politely as the circumstances merit.

    > Mike "thanks for playing, here's the home game" Yetto

    I was wondering what idiocy your tired old fart-bag would come
    up with. Very impressive. Except ***YOU*** lost the home game.
    The color of the text CAN be changed.

    Still, thank you for being the only person to actually respond,
    Mike "it can't be done because me and my FUCKING ASSHOLE pals
    say so" Yetto.

    I noticed you SOMEHOW managed NOT to use "ad hominem" or "non-
    sequitur" in your reply. What's the matter, torn between the
    equally-unacceptable-to-your-ego alternatives of either
    admitting you can't spell OR continuing to misspell them because
    when it comes to words, Yetto is YES-SO?

    AGAIN, and my apologies for repeating myself, **** YOU ALL.

    --
    In theory, being right and being wrong are sometimes the same.
    In practice, they are not.

    thanafart, Jul 17, 2010
  14. alan

    chuckcar Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > I'm waiting.

    I've had enough of this nonsence and am ignoring this thread, however,
    you might want to remove threading, sort by poster and then look just
    before your first post that you have headers for. There are three other
    posts with a name that was the first 5 letters but doesn't match the
    rest.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 17, 2010
  15. "thanafart" (aka thanatoid, thanapeep wrote
    [...]
    > The "Transparent DeskTop" IS the solution, because that utility
    > makes the "text block" transparent AND it allows you to custom-
    > modify the /text color/ ITSELF.
    >
    > It also allows you to change it to /any other/ of Windows' 16
    > million colors in about 20 seconds when your desktop background
    > changes to something with which whatever color you have
    > currently selected for the icon text no longer "works", or for
    > ANY other reason, like simple variety.

    [...]
    > For your convenience, selected from the readme excerpt above:
    >
    > 1) "control over the color of the text and its background".
    >
    > For your convenience, selected from the readme excerpt excerpt
    > above:
    >
    > 2) "color of the text"
    >
    > Please read the above 4 words several times, SLOWLY. You MAY
    > finally comprehend that the COLOR OF THE TEXT is mentioned. IF
    > you downloaded the gargantuan (one exe and one readme, each
    > about 20KB) program and READ the /entire/ readme - if the above
    > is not enough for you - you would read the following:
    >
    > - - - - -
    > If you wish different look for the icons text you can use
    > Transparent Desktop with one or two parameters:
    >
    > The first Parameter can be h for HELP or a color for text of the
    > icons.
    > Values that are accepted for the first parameter are :
    > h : It shows this HELP file
    > r : Set a random text color
    > One of the following icon text colors
    > white, black, yellow, lime, orange, red, green, blue, fuchsia,
    > brown, any Color identified by a Number.
    >
    > In windows all colors have numbers, for example white is
    > 16777215 in decimals or $FFFFFF in hexadecimals. Since there
    > are millions of combinations of Red Green and Blue hues to make
    > a color, most colors are identifiable by number and not by name.
    > Practically any number you wish to use corresponds to a color.

    [...]

    Thank you. "Transparent Desktop" sounds like a nifty little program which
    will do exactly what OP John wanted to do, which was to change the color of
    the icons' text. One hopes OP John has checked back in and can take
    advantage of your recommendation.

    Café Publico, Jul 17, 2010
  16. "chuckcar" (aka "nonsence boy") wrote
    [...]
    > I've had enough of this nonsence and am ignoring this thread [...]

    First of all, how many fucking times has it been pointed out to you that you
    consistently misspell "nonsense"?

    Secondly, the reason you're ignoring this thread is that you are unable to
    back up your ridiculous assertion that you can change the desktop icons'
    text color by a simple adjustment in the control panel.

    Thirdly, why is it SO hard for you to just admit that you hadn't understood
    the question and that you consequently gave useless and inaccurate advice?

    You've made tons of similar errors in the past, and I defy you to point out
    even ONE admission of your ineptitude . . .

    Café Publico, Jul 17, 2010
  17. alan

    thanatoid Guest

    Café Publico <> wrote in

    > "thanafart" (aka thanatoid, thanapeep wrote

    <SNIP>

    >> number and not by name. Practically any number you wish to
    >> use corresponds to a color.

    > [...]
    >
    > Thank you. "Transparent Desktop" sounds like a nifty
    > little program which will do exactly what OP John wanted to
    > do, which was to change the color of the icons' text. One
    > hopes OP John has checked back in and can take advantage of
    > your recommendation.

    Finally, a smidgen of sanity... Thank you. I was really
    wondering if I had entered another dimension entirely...

    You are officially removed from the FUCKING ASSHOLES list, not
    that you are /totally/ blameless ;-]

    Let's see if anyone else has anything to say. After all, it CAN
    NOT be done!

    (It DID occur to me that Active Desktop needs to disabled along
    with 'enable drop shadows' - like it is over here - for the
    program to work under XP, but anyone who has AD enabled doesn't
    deserve to choose their text colors!)

    Anyway - I am pretty sure the OP ran away screaming days ago -
    and who can blame him?

    This group needs a new name.

    Cheers.

    thanatoid, Jul 17, 2010
  18. alan

    thanatoid Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote in
    >

    >> I'm waiting.
    >>

    > I've had enough of this nonsence and am ignoring this
    > thread, however, you might want to remove threading, sort
    > by poster and then look just before your first post that
    > you have headers for. There are three other posts with a
    > name that was the first 5 letters but doesn't match the
    > rest.

    I realize there has been some minor mixing of follow-ups but the
    points needed to be made, and it seemed more important to say it
    all at once rather than divide it into several parts and make
    sure the guilty parties were getting the exact segments relevant
    to their sins. And also I wanted everyone to know that it CAN BE
    DONE, since 1998. I apologize for whatever confusion I may have
    added.

    Strangely enough, my extremely mature move of calling everyone
    FUCKING ASSHOLES /does/ appear to have pretty much ended the
    fighting. The matter of Yetto's spelling skills remains to be
    resolved, however.

    thanatoid, Jul 17, 2010
  19. alan

    dadiOH Guest

    thanatoid wrote:

    > Let's see if anyone else has anything to say. After all, it CAN
    > NOT be done!

    No, nor really, what's to say? Can't do what OP wanted natively, can with a
    small app.

    I used to use "Transparent" years ago but it wouldn't work with XP so I too
    thank you for the reference to "Transparent Desktop". I have no burning
    need for it but sometimes the desire to be whimsical is need enough.

    --

    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Jul 17, 2010
  20. alan

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 06:35:56 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > nonsence

    WTF?????

    Aardvark, Jul 17, 2010