Re: CF dying?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Doug Jewell, May 23, 2009.

  1. Doug Jewell

    Doug Jewell Guest

    Neil Harrington wrote:

    > I've seen this complaint before, but for the life of me I don't understand
    > how that can happen. The CF card should be precisely guided by the slot onto
    > the pins, and I don't see how you could make it do otherwise even if you
    > deliberately tried to. Unless those card readers just weren't designed or
    > made properly.

    Likewise it's got me stumped how people do it. I don't have
    a CF camera anymore, but never had trouble when I did, and
    for quite a while I was using CF cards as temporary storage
    (like thumb drives), because the main computers I used had
    CF readers, and I had a bunch of CF cards. Never had a problem.

    But when I was in the camera retail trade, it was a
    never-ending source of dramas. Seemed to be pretty much
    every week we'd have someone bring in their camera in with a
    bent pin. Despite the fact we sold more Canon & Sony CF
    cameras than Nikon CF cameras (because at the time the
    entire Canon & Sony range were CF, whereas it was only D200
    and higher in the Nikon), we had more Nikons with this than
    anything else. Next came Canon, and Sony came a distant 3rd,
    and surprisingly their repair costs were the lowest. Can't
    say I ever saw an Olympus with the problem, but we didn't
    sell very many of them.

    Repair costs ranged from about $300 to $600AUS, so it wasn't
    a cheap fix. The manufacturers always refused to do it under
    warranty, and of course it was us the humble retailer that
    copped the flack from the customer over it. Try telling a
    customer who bought a D3 off you last week, that their
    $7.5k(AUS) camera now needs to be sent away for 3 weeks, and
    it will cost them approx $500 to get it fixed. Did I mention
    I hate Nikon?

    I never heard of any problems with card readers - perhaps
    because they were cheap people just threw them away instead
    of trying to return them.

    Like you, I have no idea how someone manages to get bent
    pins, but somehow lots of people do.

    --
    The Australian Labor Party couldn't run a pay dunny. They'd
    have a queue half a mile long, and no-one on the seat.

    Doug Jewell, May 23, 2009

  2. Doug Jewell

    Doug Jewell Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Doug Jewell wrote:
    >> Neil Harrington wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've seen this complaint before, but for the life of me I don't
    >>> understand how that can happen. The CF card should be precisely
    >>> guided by the slot onto the pins, and I don't see how you could make
    >>> it do otherwise even if you deliberately tried to. Unless those card
    >>> readers just weren't designed or made properly.

    >> Likewise it's got me stumped how people do it. I don't have a CF
    >> camera anymore, but never had trouble when I did, and for quite a
    >> while I was using CF cards as temporary storage (like thumb drives),
    >> because the main computers I used had CF readers, and I had a bunch of
    >> CF cards. Never had a problem.
    >>
    >> But when I was in the camera retail trade, it was a never-ending
    >> source of dramas. Seemed to be pretty much every week we'd have
    >> someone bring in their camera in with a bent pin. Despite the fact we
    >> sold more Canon & Sony CF cameras than Nikon CF cameras (because at
    >> the time the entire Canon & Sony range were CF, whereas it was only
    >> D200 and higher in the Nikon), we had more Nikons with this than
    >> anything else. Next came Canon, and Sony came a distant 3rd, and
    >> surprisingly their repair costs were the lowest. Can't say I ever saw
    >> an Olympus with the problem, but we didn't sell very many of them.
    >>
    >> Repair costs ranged from about $300 to $600AUS, so it wasn't a cheap
    >> fix. The manufacturers always refused to do it under warranty, and of
    >> course it was us the humble retailer that copped the flack from the
    >> customer over it. Try telling a customer who bought a D3 off you last
    >> week, that their $7.5k(AUS) camera now needs to be sent away for 3
    >> weeks, and it will cost them approx $500 to get it fixed. Did I
    >> mention I hate Nikon?
    >>
    >> I never heard of any problems with card readers - perhaps because they
    >> were cheap people just threw them away instead of trying to return them.
    >>
    >> Like you, I have no idea how someone manages to get bent pins, but
    >> somehow lots of people do.
    >>> I still have several cameras that use CF cards (just recently bought
    >>> a brand new D200 in fact), and I've never had any problem with any of
    >>> them.
    >>>

    > Lots of people subscribe to the old adage:
    > Don't force it, get a bigger hammer. If the card doesn't go in easily,
    > they use more force.

    True. Reminds me of one of the bigger idiots who crossed my
    path whilst in the camera retail trade. Idiot came in and
    asked for an SD card for his camera. I noticed that in his
    hand was a Kodak DC3400, the same model as my first digital
    camera (very good camera BTW). I asked if he was buying for
    that camera and yes he was, so I told him he'd need a CF
    card, not an SD card. He didn't believe me, so I asked for
    the camera, flipped open the door and showed him the size of
    the slot, while at the same time holding a CF and an SD card
    in my hand - To anyone with half a brain it would be obvious
    that the CF card was the same size as the hole, and the SD
    card was much much smaller. Anyway, he ended up buying the
    CF card, but was muttering under his breath that he still
    didn't believe me. I offered to put it in for him but that
    wouldn't be necessary and off he went.
    About 5 minutes later I'm on a phone call and Mr Idiot walks
    in yelling and swearing that I sold him the wrong card, he
    sees I'm on the phone, and pushed down the hangup button!!
    He shoved the camera under my face and said that it was the
    wrong card because the door doesn't even close now. One look
    told me he had shoved it in the wrong way. But he had shoved
    it in so hard that I couldn't remove it. Got a pair of
    pliers and managed to pull it out after applying a LOT of
    force. Under Mr Idiots nose, I turned the card around,
    inserted it properly, closed the door and showed it to him
    working, then gave him a telling off over hanging up the phone.

    Doug Jewell, May 24, 2009